No announcement yet.

Brush truck getting stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you still have factory tire they are not designed for off roading. Buy good aggressive radial mud tire. We have Super Swamper Radial TSL's on our 1 1/4 ton diesel brush truck. Super Swamper makes tire sizes for every application. With these tire, when you get stuck you are stuck, probably setting on the axle. They dig so well and behave very nicely on the road. The other thing with diesels is their operating rpms. They like low rpms and take a couple of seconds to wind up. Plan your path select a gear to keep rpms high and go for it. The other benefit to high rpm's is it will help clean the mud out of the tread block.
    IACOJ - Senior Jake

Comment

Just remember, when you go to a more aggressive tire, they will respond differently on hard surface roads. Your department will have to "relearn" on how to drive it on these surfaces.

Comment

Well, we finally made a decision. We ended up going with a mildly agressive 265/70 19.5 (Hancook DHO1). We haven't had a chance to see how it's going to perform off-road as of yet, and once we do, I will let you know how it performs. As far as on road driving, it seems to be driving really well. The tires went on great and we didn't have to make any modifications to the truck. Thanks again for all of the great input.

Super Sarge

Comment

Originally posted by supersarge View Post
          Our department is having an issue with our Ford F550 bursh truck getting stuck off-road and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. The standard tires are 225/70 19.5's and I am thinking about some sort of flotation tire for the front. We are in a rural county outside of Houston and the soil has a LOT of clay in it. When it's wet, the truck doesn't make it 2 lenghts off the pavement and goes down in the front. The largest tire that I can find is a 265/70. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.
          Don't go offroading when its wet, besides if it is wet fire danger should be very minimal.

Comment

I think part of the issue is driver education. The drivers should not take the F-550 anywhere they dont have solid footing. park it and drag the hose back.

I dont think super singles would help either. A wider tire in the front would help as would more aggressive tread.

I remember the older style brush trucks they were smaller, and also ran out of water much sooner. Its nice to have 3-400 gal with you.

Comment

I have to second the arguement that 550's (or any dually) are not meant for the sloppy stuff. No matter what tire you have, you will never get satisfactory flotation out of the rear end with stock size tires. You also cannot alter the tire size significantly without modified rims or wheel spacers. On stock 350's, you may also need a lift kit.

The weight is certainly an issue, but a big enough (i.e. wider and taller) tire will eventually compensate for the weight. In the case of a dually, the limitations of the tire size, effectively limit the weight of the vehicle to maintain the same performance.

Now I wish I still had a picture, but I have seen logging industry F350-550's around these parts with heavily modified suspension, 6+ inches of lift, running 35-40 inch tires, but the cost is going to be prohibitive, and it really is not going to be a good frontline truck afterwards.

For stock units, a slightly more aggressive tire will help a little (we run BFG All-Terrains), but you really are better off putting more hose on the truck, keeping it in a safer location, and stretching lines. There is always a trade off to more truck.
              Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Sarg:

Any new information on this?
                Anyone else make the change to super singles for an F550?

Comment

If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.
                  Stay out of Dayton Lake Estates?

Comment

Our department is having an issue with our Ford F550 bursh truck getting stuck off-road and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. The standard tires are 225/70 19.5's and I am thinking about some sort of flotation tire for the front. We are in a rural county outside of Houston and the soil has a LOT of clay in it. When it's wet, the truck doesn't make it 2 lenghts off the pavement and goes down in the front. The largest tire that I can find is a 265/70. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.
                    we have an 02 f-450 and it has high way tires but what were doing is lifting it 4 inchs biger tires and a better turbo but you also have to have someone who knows how to drive it

Comment

The F-550 is no off road vehicle unless you have the money to do some serious modification. Its got a 19,000lbs GVW with 6000lbs on the front wheels. To get your ground pressure down to say 15psi (normal for off road construction equipment but still a bit heavy for really soft soils) with your 265 tires (10 inches wide) you'd need to air down your tires until the contact patch that was 20 inches long (to get 200 sq in). Even if you only have 4000lbs on the fronts you'd still need over 13 inches of contact. As previously mentioned, you need big tires, which also means hub extenders to keep them off the frame while turning, fender flares to keep them inside the wheel well (and street legal), and a lift kit. I sugest contacting the producers at Pimp My Ride to see if they want to do a fire truck, otherwise if you really want an off road truck, get an F250 with the fattest tires you can find, put 100gal of water with a 5HP pump, and a mile of lightweight 2 1/2 with a distribution manifold so you can lay into the scene.

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                      truck has ABS brakes so it is imperative to keep the tire diameter the same.
                      I'm not sure if you can do it with a 550, but I know there are several aftermarket computers which can reprogram your truck for different tire sizes, just plug into the OBDII port and dial in, it automatically changes you speedo calibration, shift points, ABS settings and acceleration curves to match the new wheel size. The question is whether or not your state allows it, luckily for us Maine just changed the rules last year to placate the jack-up-my-truck crowd.

This one's for you TC:
                      Attached Files

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Comment

Check out this web site if u want to see what a Unimog looks like and what this guy can do with an old unit. Warning it is NOT a brush truck.

http://vonsmog.com/index.html
                        Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

Comment

Ah yes a 'Mog.The BEST rig ever produced for a brush buggy. T.C.

Comment

I have the answer.

Those of you that want to see what the F550 has evolved into, check out this website. www.generalfireequipmentllc.com

Comment

I want one!

Comment

Know it's been a year since this fella posted this thread. I work on power lines....we all know that most high voltage lines love to run through the swamps. I've seen and taken a lot of very large trucks places you wouldn't even think possible. And you'd be surprised at what a set of tire chains and four or more-wheel-drive will do for traction, can mean the difference between getting yourself out or waiting for a pull.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X