Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Gaskets for storz suction inlets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaskets for storz suction inlets

My department is in the process of changing over our hard suction hose to the new light weight PVC style with 5.0" storz fittings on both ends. We currently use 5.0" LDH as well. We are thinking of changing all of our 6.0" inlets (main pump inlets and a front suction) to a 6.0" NSTF x 5.0" storz adapter.

Since we would use these inlets in either a suction/drafting mode or from a hydrant/pressure mode, what type of gaskets would we need to use? I know some of the vendors that supply adapters, hard suction hose, etc say to "specifiy of the type of storz gasket, pressure or suction".

Has any body heard of this? How did your department handle this and what changes if any would you recommend to the above set-ups? Thanks in advance.

Taskforce,
    Hmmmm....not sure I'm familiar with the product your talking about but make sure that the company advises using it for hydrant/pressure and drafting/vacuum. I know that most of the products out there that I'm familiar with don't advise using hard suction on a hydrant because its design intent is for negative pressure (vacuum) only.
    But it wouldn't surprise me if they have some new miracle intake hose that does both!
    Sorry I wasn't much help....
    Your in luck though cause there is a lot of informative people in this forums.

Comment

We have been using 4" LDH for about 15 years with Storz couplings. We did put adapters on the pump inlets so we can hook directly to the Storz. We also have about 60% of our district that has no hydrants.

You need to use the "vacuum gaskets" on the hard suction and the inlet adapters. The Storz fittings will not maintain the vacuum with the standard "pressure" gasket.

You can use the regular "pressure" gaskets on the 5" LDH. It will hook to the inlet with the "vacuum" gasket installed without a problem.

Make sure you place a pair of LDH spanner wrenches near each inlet. The Storz with the vacuum gaskets can be a bit hard to turn bare handed.

The gaskets can be bought separately and are easy to install. You basically pop out the old and push in the new. No special tools are required. Make sure any spare gaskets are well marked as pressure or vacuum. It is virtually impossible to tell the difference with the naked eye especially at 2 AM.

Stay Safe
      IACOJ

Comment

Just curious if you are converting from 6" thread to 5" storz. if so, there is water reduction (friction loss) from doing such a switch since your hose couplings have 1" less opening diameter. I've seen this alot on newer rigs. When you pump test your rigs, I'd be curious how they perform for the full capacity test with the 5" storz couplings.

Check out the April or May issue of Fire-Rescue Magazine for an article about friction loss and drafting due to appliances and such.

Comment

Most manufacturers do not make a 6" NST x 6" Storz or at least one at a price most departments are willing to pay.

The friction loss and flow reduction will not seriously affect your pump capacity when using LDH unless you are using a really large GPM pump.

You will lose some gpm from draft but you can still flow 1000 GPM or better. We remove the adapters for pump testing and go straight into the intakes.

Stay Safe
          IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by MG3610
            Just curious if you are converting from 6" thread to 5" storz. if so, there is water reduction (friction loss) from doing such a switch since your hose couplings have 1" less opening diameter. I've seen this alot on newer rigs. When you pump test your rigs, I'd be curious how they perform for the full capacity test with the 5" storz couplings.

Check out the April or May issue of Fire-Rescue Magazine for an article about friction loss and drafting due to appliances and such.
            Whenever ours are tested, the jaffrey intake valves on the sides are removed and we hook the hard suction directly to the unadapted intake after removing the storz adaptors on the hose...
            "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Based on everyones comments, I just to confirm the following:

We use 5.0" LDH
              We are thinking of switching to 6.0" x 10' sections of hard hose with 5.0" storz couplings.
              We only draft from portable tanks, lakes, ponds, etc
              When we use a hydrant, we only use the 5.0" LDH

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

storz gaskets

I'm an Asst. Chief with my Dept. Our town has dry hydrants with both 6" threaded and 5" storz connections, our "source pumper" is set up to connect to both. We use drafting gaskets on the 5" storz connections, 1 on the hydrant and 1 on the hard suction, this seems to work fine. (be sure to have large spanner wrenches handy the storz couplings are tough to secure with the drafting gaskets in place. I hope this will help you out-stay safe

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X