Pump shifter leaking air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump shifter leaking air

We operate a 1990 Ford C/FMC 1250gpm pumper. It recently began leaking air from the pneumatic pump shifter. The leak was so severe that the truck could not maintain enough air pressure to drive. We replaced the shifter with a new model, only to see the same problem. We have found that cycling the shifter through the neutral and pump settings, sometimes with the engine shut off, will make the leak stop. However, it eventually starts leaking again.

We are suspicious of debris in the air lines, especially given the truck's age. Could there be rust dislodging from inside the air tank and causing valves in the shifter to stick open? Or could something else be going on?
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

A neighboring department had a similar issue. In the end what fixed it was a new air dryer and "flushing" the air tanks.

Comment

That makes sense, and it's the general idea of what we were thinking. Thanks.
      “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
      ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X