No announcement yet.

Pressure pedal for airhorn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On our newest engine, we got rid of the driver foot button and put a switch for the horn ring, switchable for DOT horn, air horn, Q2.

Officer side has 2 foot buttons, but not on the floor. Both are dash mounted. 1 for Q2, 1 for airhorn.

Having both the floor mounted in older engine and "dash" mounted in new...we will probably never go back to floor mounted.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Two of our engines have foot switches for high/low beam lights. The only air horn control is on the siren box mounted in the center of the dash. Of course with 3 pedals and a stick shift, the driver usually has enough to keep him busy.

Our 3rd engine has no foot switches, air horn is wired into the horn button on the steering wheel. Officer has a foot switch.

Comment

Originally posted by nameless View Post
        Is that the only reason against the foot switch? It just sounded from your other post that you were very against it.

After a few weeks of driving, its pretty natural to remember where to press my foot for horn and for siren.
        Yep, I am/was pretty strong against a foot operated air horn. When the siren was brought up, I had to make it a point that I was fine with that. I'm good with one foot switch, as well as the drivers, and that is for the siren, when the officer is too busy to run it.

Another reason for the change to horn ring operated air horns, is for the multitude of sub drivers. They usually have very few street miles on them. Most are used to the older rigs with both floor switches. Then get moved to a newer rig, and have to re-familiarize themselves with all the switches and operations of the rig. Once they get used to a standard set-up, then they are fine.

FM1
        I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
        "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

My impression of the original post is not of a whacker, but of someone who added a train horn to their car ( or a rig) and was looking for the same kind of switch for it he remembered seeing in his explorer days.

I know these (train horns)are quite popular with truck drivers who own their own rigs. And probably with the car mod guys as well. Both for show purposes, and as a warning device for motorists who hang out in your blind spot on the pass side, and ignore your right hand turn signals.

Not sure I agree with that usage, but boy, would it be nice sometimes...

As for foot pedals, I agree with the accidental use. It's always fun when the guys you scare the crap out of accidentally are the Chief and the Asst Chief...

I'd prefer a dash mounted switch.

I, too used to hit the Q unintentionally while filling out truck inspection reports, or filling out the truck log after the call. Turning off the battery switch first solved that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
            I, too used to hit the Q unintentionally while filling out truck inspection reports, or filling out the truck log after the call. Turning off the battery switch first solved that problem.
            Be in my shoes when you have to have the power on to diagnose a circuit breaker or relay issue in the power distribution box on the officers side, behind a foot panel. Almost never fails, I accidentally hit the air horn/siren switch, and scare the bejessus out of myself. Not to mention, irritating the FF's.

Man, I hate when I do that.

FM1
            I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
            "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
              Be in my shoes when you have to have the power on to diagnose a circuit breaker or relay issue in the power distribution box on the officers side, behind a foot panel. Almost never fails, I accidentally hit the air horn/siren switch, and scare the bejessus out of myself. Not to mention, irritating the FF's.

Man, I hate when I do that.

FM1

It's all about recovery. When I've done that, and we all have, I yell out "the Siren circuit is working, check that off the list." I hope I don't look quite as stupid. Probably not fooling anyone.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X