RPM v Pressure on Aerial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SMOKEEATERFF View Post
    Our Lt. knows his stuff but feels like he doesn't need to share with us. If you don't know it oh well.
    Honestly that sounds like a bigger problem..
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Comment

Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
      There are pros/cons to keeping T2P closed but doesn't change the example much. (Unless I'm missing something?)
      Nope, not missing anything at all.

The only major difference is when the pressure governor would react to the loss of incoming pressure. If the pump operator wasn't married to the pump panel, the engine would throttle up for 5 seconds looking for water, and then return to idle (assuming the TTP was closed). If the TTP was open, obviously the pump would get some water until the tank was depleted, and then it would do it's throttle up/idle routine.

Not really a big deal at all, it's something that seems to come up every time pump theory is discussed.
      Career Fire Captain
      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
        I haven't thought this through completely, but couldn't the same affect be achieved by having the attack engine leave "Tank Fill" open? If the attack engine is in PSI mode and the hose line shuts down the extra pressure gets sent to the tank. Eventually the tank will fill and drain out the top.

Have the relay pumpers in RPM mode manually maintaining a set residual and let the attack engine deal with changes on the front end.
        Leaving the tank fill open would not be enough to handle the potetially large volume of water that would need to be expelled. Tank fills frequently are anything from 1" to 2" which would not be capable of handling really large quantities of water. But with the larger tank fills, it would add enough flow to require the governor to ramp the engine up considerably and it would cause dumping of all that excess water out onto the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
          I know this has been dabated before on here, but since we close our tank-to-pump when a water supply has been established, it would take conscious decision of the pump operator to open the TTP to use tank water in this scenario.
          All of our newer trucks have operational (I.E. working) flapper valves. This is why we leave our TTP valve open with an incoming water source.
          Career Firefighter
          Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
          I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X