Storz attack lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storz attack lines

Have an AFG to replace all our 1-1/2" and 2-1/2". Much of it 20-30 years old. Will be going to 1-3/4". Perhaps 3" Also buying 5"S for supply.

Anyone using, or have mutual aid neighbors using, smaller Storz on attack lines? Feedback?

Advantages are:
    Unisex Quick to break/make.

Not really concerned with compatible with neighbors. An adapter on rare occasion where required.

Our County standard for tanker fill is 2-1/2"S but that is the only place where used.

Originally posted by neiowa View Post
    Advantages are:
    Unisex Quick to break/make.
    My gut instinct is: bad idea.

I've never had any trouble un/threading standard fire thread couplings on attack lines and I've never seen one de-couple itself because it wasn't secured tightly enough. I have seen Storz couplings de-couple themselves: Bad for a supply line, potentially deadly for an attack line.

Also, how does a disorientated firefighter check a sexless coupling for "this way out" cues?

(Does NFPA 1961 allow for sexless couplings on attack lines? Just a thought.)
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
    sigpic
    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

The couplings are much larger than the normal NST threaded couplings. I would think advancing line would be more difficult.
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
        My gut instinct is: bad idea. The skies are falling, the seas are boiling...cats and dogs are living in harmony......I agree with the man......

Also, how does a disorientated firefighter check a sexless coupling for "this way out" cues?
        This, right here, should be the statement and reason that quashes any further thought of switching to storz couplings on attack lines.
        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

For the purposes of debate, aren't Storz attack lines the standard in Europe? Yes, I do realize that their fire attack methods differ than ours.

I'd be more concerned about the size of the coupling in an interior fire attack than being able to find your way out. That brings me to another thought: I've never talked to anyone that actually had to identify couplings after becoming separated from their hoseline in an IDLH. How about you all?
          Career Fire Captain
          Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
            That brings me to another thought: I've never talked to anyone that actually had to identify couplings after becoming separated from their hoseline in an IDLH. How about you all?
            Nor have I, but the idea is for us never to have to. But if it happens, you need each and every survivability technique possible- hence my no vote. I dare say that were I still a Union FF and the Chief wanted to change over I would fight it through the union. Yes, I do think it's that important.
            "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Aside from a quick make / break, which is pretty inconsequential with attack hose, what would be the upside to going to a completely new fitting that is not similar to your neighbors and is basically non-standard to the fire service? A company I am familiar with packs their 1 3/4 attack line on reels with these couplings, useless just begins to describe that set up.

Comment

At my previous employer, all of out preconnected Master Stream Devices had Stortz on them. All were 3" DJ hose. Handlines still standard couplings.
                A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Comment

Originally posted by Halligan84 View Post
                  A company I am familiar with packs their 1 3/4 attack line on reels with these couplings, useless just begins to describe that set up.
                  In your opinion, what makes it useless? Lack of interoperability, or something else?
                  Career Fire Captain
                  Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Lack of interoperability, inability to shoulder load and carry to deploy are a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by Halligan84 View Post
                      Lack of interoperability, inability to shoulder load and carry to deploy are a good start.
                      Ok, just wondered. We have a nearby department that has two 1.75" 200' reels on each of their pumper/tankers, and seem to like them. I've never operated one, however.
                      Career Fire Captain
                      Volunteer Chief Officer

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                        For the purposes of debate, aren't Storz attack lines the standard in Europe? Yes, I do realize that their fire attack methods differ than ours.

I'd be more concerned about the size of the coupling in an interior fire attack than being able to find your way out. That brings me to another thought: I've never talked to anyone that actually had to identify couplings after becoming separated from their hoseline in an IDLH. How about you all?
                        I have never met anyone either that was lost, found a line and coupling, figured out which way it pointed (while having head between knees/kissing it... At this moment, sitting at a PC, have to think about the shape/orientation and which way it points. In the heat of moment, when it was life depending, I rather doubt would work out. One of those great theories. And a Union issue? Please.

Couplings would be larger but the snag issue has been address by industry in Erup. Desiged so will open a door that closes on a line. Don't know if on wide spread use. I have snagged std attack line couplings on corners furniture etc. This style looks like less like that a std NH to do so.

How many not "standard" (NH) attack line couplings are in use in the US. Certainly Hundreds of FD in dozens of different patterns.

Any EU FF that can comment on Storz attack lines it would be appreciated. Particularily if have exchanged with US FD where used our stuff. Maybe Mr. Grimwood is around.

You know Obama really really really likes for us to go EU. That's supposed to be good enough for anyone isn't it? Maybe he'll print some more $ for a bonus on my AFG if I go the EU way.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by neiowa View Post
                          I have never met anyone either that was lost, found a line and coupling, figured out which way it pointed (while having head between knees/kissing it... At this moment, sitting at a PC, have to think about the shape/orientation and which way it points. In the heat of moment, when it was life depending, I rather doubt would work out. One of those great theories. And a Union issue? Please.

Well, I HAVE met someone who found his way out using the couplings. The world is more than your 40 acres, or whatever, in Iowa. Psssst...it's really pretty easy to figure out, the female coupling leads out.

A safety and health issue is a Union issue on a career FD. You may not understand that, you may not like it, too freaking bad.

Couplings would be larger but the snag issue has been address by industry in Erup. Desiged so will open a door that closes on a line. Don't know if on wide spread use. I have snagged std attack line couplings on corners furniture etc. This style looks like less like that a std NH to do so.

It also looks HUGE I bet that loads really nice in a standard US hose bed. Most European hose is rolled and racked or pulled on a hose reel.
                          How many not "standard" (NH) attack line couplings are in use in the US. Certainly Hundreds of FD in dozens of different patterns.

Generally, areas that use other than NST threads tend to use them across the board in an area. If this one FD buys attack lines with storz couplings they will be orphans and unable to hook to anyone else. BRILLIANT!

Any EU FF that can comment on Storz attack lines it would be appreciated. Particularily if have exchanged with US FD where used our stuff. Maybe Mr. Grimwood is around.

Again since they store, carry and advance lines differently than we do in the US how would you do a fair comparison?

You know Obama really really really likes for us to go EU. That's supposed to be good enough for anyone isn't it? Maybe he'll print some more $ for a bonus on my AFG if I go the EU way.

You really need a hobby because this last part of your post is just idiotic rambling totally off topic.
                          Have a nice day.
                          Crazy, but that's how it goes
                          Millions of people living as foes
                          Maybe it's not too late
                          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

so whats really the benefit of storz? That the couplings are sexless? I haven't had any times where I thought "Gosh Golly, I wish I had a female/female or male/male adapter so I could make this attack line work." Coupling the hose together doesn't take that long either

Given all the potential drawbacks, what exactly is gained from the switch?

Comment

Although I am now a recent retiree, my former dept uses storz exclusively
                              on all attack and supply lines.The have never been any issues with attack lines coming uncoupled, or snagging up on corners. As far as supply goes, yes when a car drives over it...especially front wheel drive cars when one wheel loses traction going over it
                              and the coupling is in between the 2 wheels.otherwise NO.

The dept has over 66 engines and does 100,000 runs a year....we don't have any quints running.

I wouldn't be worried at all about going to storz.

Don
                              Last edited by don120; 04-11-2011, 05:55 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X