2011 Ford Super Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Ford Super Duty

Our department is looking into purchasing a new F-550 with the new 6.7 TD. Concerned about the urea SCR technology, particularly cold weather and maintenance issues. Anybody out there had any experiences with this yet? We've even talked about the V-10, so if you have positive or negative experience with that let me know.

You might look at the new IH Terrastar also. Not sure if they are shipping the 4x4 yet. Similar price range as F550 cab size similar to the now departed Chevy5500. NO DEF/UREA with IH.
    Last edited by fireinfo10; 02-25-2011, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fireinfo10 View Post
      You might look at the new IH Terrastar also. Not sure if they are shipping the 4x4 yet. Similar price range as F550 cab size similar to the now departed Chevy5500. NO DEF/UREA with IH.
      I think the Terrastar will be a fantastic chassis to put under ambulances and lighter rigs. I looked one over at a builder recently and it looks like a fantastic option, as long as they can keep the price reasonably close to that of an F-550.
      "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

The Terrastar is great, but the pricing doesnt look so good. Ford needs to build a similar comercial chassis and keep it there. Whats unreasonable is that departments such as LAFD, who WIDELY uses ambulances (as rescues) won't be able to afford it, unless they keep it reasonable pricing. It's great though, for a Critical Care Unit like Medix' CCU International DuraStar

Horton received 4 of these http://www.hortonambulance.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Phaze View Post
          The Terrastar is great, but the pricing doesnt look so good. Ford needs to build a similar comercial chassis and keep it there. Whats unreasonable is that departments such as LAFD, who WIDELY uses ambulances (as rescues) won't be able to afford it, unless they keep it reasonable pricing. It's great though, for a Critical Care Unit like Medix' CCU International DuraStar

Horton received 4 of these http://www.hortonambulance.com/
          Depends on the life span you can pull out of it. We figure a ten year cycle for our lighter stuff (F-550s, etc.), but if we could pull fifteen years out of a Terrastar like we can our true medium duty stuff and engines, it may be worth the extra cost if you figure the added lifespan. It certainly is a nice cost alternative for those departments already running the bigger Freighliner and IH chassis offerings, especially if you don't need airbrakes.
          "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Another example of You get what you pay for. IH is a truck, the F550 is a glorified pickup trying to act like a truck.

Good bet there will be a several Terrastar at FDIC to look over.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrfdchief View Post
              Our department is looking into purchasing a new F-550 with the new 6.7 TD. Concerned about the urea SCR technology, particularly cold weather and maintenance issues. Anybody out there had any experiences with this yet? We've even talked about the V-10, so if you have positive or negative experience with that let me know.
              To answer your question, I will give you some second hand information...There is a member of our department that has had his 2011 F550 with the new diesel engine since August. He has a construction business, so it does get used for hauling and pulling a trailer. I have not heard him say one bad thing about it yet. He loves the power it has and has made it sound like adding the urea is no big deal. He also stated that the local automotive stores are carrying the urea, so it is not hard to come across.

As for the V-10 gas engine, our department does have one of these and are really happy with it. It has really good power and can get up to speed and beyond pretty quick, and we are loaded heavy. Only problem I see is that the mileage is only 8 mpg, but as I said, we have it loaded pretty heavy.

One bad thing I see about the 2011 Ford F550 chassis is that there are no known SCBA seats available to be used in a crew cab officers seating position. So if you are looking for a unit that will be used for fire service, look in to it more. I hope this helps.

Comment

I will be in the market for another ambulance soon. I have been using medium duty IH but I am exploring more options. You are talking about the Ford and the IH Terra Star, does anyone have info on the new Dodge? I have seen an ad for it and said it does not need the urea.

Comment

Is anyone building on the Ford F650 for any fire or ambulance apllications? I believe you can get the Scorpion or a Cummins in it.

Comment

Originally posted by firesarge69 View Post
                    I will be in the market for another ambulance soon. I have been using medium duty IH but I am exploring more options. You are talking about the Ford and the IH Terra Star, does anyone have info on the new Dodge? I have seen an ad for it and said it does not need the urea.
                    IH will only be selling the engines without urea until they run out of government credits. Don't know what they're going to do after that happens as their engines don't meet the new emissions standards yet.

Showed this picture in another thread as an alternative to the GMC/Chevy medium duty chassis.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by dragonfyre; 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM. Reason: grammer
                    Steve Dragon
                    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
                    Volunteers are never "off duty".
                    http://www.bufd7.org

Comment

That's the story from Cummins. A noninterested bystander who just hopes to be of assistance to IH.

Comment

The EPA 2010 cummins 6.7 DOES NOT need urea anything larger does.

Comment

One bad thing I see about the 2011 Ford F550 chassis is that there are no known SCBA seats available to be used in a crew cab officers seating position. So if you are looking for a unit that will be used for fire service, look in to it more. I hope this helps.
                          http://www.hobostrom.com/en/fire/fr_...erDutySCBA.asp

Try this H O Bostrom link for the air pack seats for the Ford.

That ambulance is a different style chasis. Is that an Isuzu?
                          Last edited by firesarge69; 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Yes it is. As far as we know it was the first of it's kind in the country. It's in service in Kentucky.
                            Steve Dragon
                            FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
                            Volunteers are never "off duty".
                            http://www.bufd7.org

Comment

http://www.hobostrom.com/en/fire/fr_...erDutySCBA.asp

Try this H O Bostrom link for the air pack seats for the Ford.

If you look at the first bullet link on the right side of the page you linked, it says:"Front SCBA seat with 5" fore/aft adjustment fastens to original seat mounting points." Roll over that and it shows you a picture of the officer's seat offered.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X