Plastic/Rubber Mallets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic/Rubber Mallets

Wondering if anyone uses specific mallet types for tightening rocker handles for drafting. We used a zephyr spanhammer for years, but recently the caps broke on both. Looking to change to another mallet for our new engine. Input? How does a deadblow mallet work? Rubber? etc...

Originally posted by CCCFire09 View Post
    Wondering if anyone uses specific mallet types for tightening rocker handles for drafting. We used a zephyr spanhammer for years, but recently the caps broke on both. Looking to change to another mallet for our new engine. Input? How does a deadblow mallet work? Rubber? etc...
    Get a Snap-On plastic dead-blow mallet. Trust me, pay the extra bucks and get the Snap-on. If and WHEN you do break it, exchange it no questions asked. (yes it's what we use.)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

The dead blow hammer was invented by a company on the East side of indianapolis called Compocast. nice family owned business.

They were bought out by Stanley tools back in the mid 80's They make all the deadblows on the market with a proprietary molding process and sell them to Snap-on , Mac tools , Matco tools , Sears and many others by changing the name imprint on the mold.

I have in my personal collection everything from a 2 oz up to 14 lb sledge in ballpein and urethane faced. They will get the job done and not damage the chrome plating. Also good on a stuck hydrant cap.

Comment

You can get new caps for them. I dont rember where I got them, just had to replace one.

Comment

We use dead blow hammers as well. Used rubber mallets years ago and hated them.

Comment

We have used rubber mallets since before they were invented. Work fine, never had an issue.
            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by sklump View Post
              You can get new caps for them. I don't rember where I got them, just had to replace one.
              I know where to get them, but the company is not responding to e-mails, and their website lists that they are 12 weeks behind.

Sounds like we are getting a deadblow.

Comment

Try a Google search for "NUPLA DEAD BLOW HAMMER"

Available in a couple of sizes - ~ $25.00 and so far, indestructable.

Can be found at Sears, Amazon, Grainger etc.

Comment

We to use dead-blow mallets. We have not had any issues. If your looking to purchase try Graingers, McMaster-carr, or any good supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                    We have used rubber mallets since before they were invented. Work fine, never had an issue.

We also did as well. Usually if you kept the face of the male thread surface smooth and used a good gasket, a fireman could used his arms muscles to get a good tight seal on the hard sleeve couplings.

Very seldom did I ever use a mallet on a wing lug when I was a driver.

Now days, everyone want to beat the crap out of the wing lugs and ruin the gaskets.

When I coupled two sections of hand line hose with my hands, you didn't need a spanner to check it up. But you need one to loosen the connection!
                    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 02-22-2011, 03:22 PM.
                    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

always used the rubber mallets. nothing fancy and they have held up for years

Comment

alot of rural depts use bowling pins.... no joke, they work well.
                        Originally Posted by madden01
                        "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                          We also did as well. Usually if you kept the face of the male thread surface smooth and used a good gasket, a fireman could used his arms muscles to get a good tight seal on the hard sleeve couplings.

Very seldom did I ever use a mallet on a wing lug when I was a driver.

Now days, everyone want to beat the crap out of the wing lugs and ruin the gaskets.

When I coupled two sections of hand line hose with my hands, you didn't need a spanner to check it up. But you need one to loosen the connection!
                          I would have to agree. We now carry spare gaskets because of some mutual aide companies' insistense on crushing them by using a mallet. We have never had an issue when we hand tightened a suction trying to pull prime. That is other than when we had a bad gasket.

There have been many times when we had to use a rubber mallet to remove the suction after use, but we do not want them used to set up.

Comment

we are now all Dead Blow all the time ................
                            IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                            Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                            ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                            RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                            LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                            I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                            "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                            http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

How about the good old bowling pin????
                              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse