Where do you drop the ponds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you drop the ponds?

When your department arrives on scene, do you have a preference for where you drop port a ponds for water supply operations. Do you operate dual ponds? Do you throw in the beach ball? Do you always run steamer ops or do you do 2 1/2 inlet ops?
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

definatley NOT 2-1/2" inlets.

Comment

It is not possible to state an "Always" when it comes to positioning the drop tanks. Depending on driveway layout it may be best to drop it at he end and pump up the driveway to the attack pumper, OR, if there is room by the fire structure you may set the tank right by the attack pumper if there is room for tankers to manuever.

Dual, triple, quad or more tanks depend on the size of the fire and the amount of tankers hauling.

I have seen the ball trick and the slickest to me is a tether ball tied to the strainer. It never float away from the suction, or gets blown out of the tank.

We always use the steamer. More water if necessary is the clue for that choice.
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

If room in the driveway we will drop the tank behind or beside the engine. The vast majority of the time is at the rear. Long or tight driveways will get a lined layed in and the draft operation will be at the road.

Don't own any 2 1/2" suction. If a 2 1/2" is all that is needed why not nurse?

One tank unless it we need more water then a second gets added. We don't follow the school of multiple tanks because of most driveway lay outs don't allow for it and we have enough tankers running that there is one waiting to dump about all the time. If a second tank gets added (I can't recall the last time that happened) it gets hooked to another intake.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireeaterbob View Post
          When your department arrives on scene, do you have a preference for where you drop port a ponds for water supply operations.
          Often at the end of the driveway. Depending on the size of the roadway we're operating on, sometimes we'll put it in the driveway itself, right at the edge of the road. Othertimes, if we can leave a travel lane open for the shuttle, we'll put in the travel lane itself.

Do you operate dual ponds?
          Depends on the volume of fire, but generally not. Most I've ever done is six.

Do you throw in the beach ball?
          Generally, yes, but not always.

Do you always run steamer ops or do you do 2 1/2 inlet ops?
          ALWAYS use 6" hard sleeve. I can't think of a department anywhere near us that even carries 2.5" hard sleeve. Don't limit your potential water supply with that antiquated stuff.
          Career Fire Captain
          Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
            I can't think of a department anywhere near us that even carries 2.5" hard sleeve. Don't limit your potential water supply with that antiquated stuff.
            Sigh, we do....(Kill me now can be inserted into the forefront of said admission.)
            A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Comment

Due to the narrowness of our roads and many long driveways we almost always drop LDH on the way in to the scene. All of our engines carry 1200-1500 feet of 4 inch and a rural hitch.
              We will usually set up the porta tanks at the nearest intersection with the main road where the tanker shuttle can do a drop & run. This keeps the tankers on the road and allows smoother turn around .
              We start with one porta tank and add them as needed for water supply depending on fireload and water demand.

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
                Due to the narrowness of our roads and many long driveways we almost always drop LDH on the way in to the scene. All of our engines carry 1200-1500 feet of 4 inch and a rural hitch.
                We will usually set up the porta tanks at the nearest intersection with the main road where the tanker shuttle can do a drop & run. This keeps the tankers on the road and allows smoother turn around .
                We start with one porta tank and add them as needed for water supply depending on fireload and water demand.
                I love the idea We do not carry enough ldh to do it yet.

Comment

Can somebody explain the beach ball/tether ball use?

Comment

Originally posted by KB1OEV View Post
                    As the water level within the tank lowers, the water surface gets closer to the strainer. Eventually, a whirlpool will begin, which will go between the water surface and the strainer. When this happens, there's a good chance that air will be introduced into the hard sleeve, causing the prime to be lost.

When a beach ball is put into the pond, it will be drawn to the top of the whirlpool, which will often cause the whirlpool to go away, increasing the amount of water that can be used out of the pond before the water level matches the height of the strainer.
                    Career Fire Captain
                    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by KB1OEV View Post
                      Breaks up the funnel action - the vortex, above the suction line.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies BoxAlarm and LVFD. I can certainly see how useful a ball could be. I bet it would be good in a shallow stream or river too, tethered of course.

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                          Breaks up the funnel action - the vortex, above the suction line.
                          Are you using a regular strainer or a low flow with the Ball? I understand the concept, just haven't seen where it would work as well on the low-flow strainers we use for drop / folding tank ops.

A box strainer at draft I can see it working well.

Comment

The only thing that we're drafting with are high-flow low-level strainers:

When I instruct rural water supply across the state, I sometimes encounter departments that don't have low-level strainers and are forced to use a barrell strainer instead. It's when the barrell strainer is used that I think that the ball is most advantageous in a portable pond.
                            Career Fire Captain
                            Volunteer Chief Officer

Comment

My preference is to have the dump tank situated at the pump panel, at a 45 degree angle to the pumper. The corner of the tank can be situated right at the steamer that way. That ensures a nice angle for the hard suction, and having it at a 45 leaves room for the engineer to work.

That's in a perfect world.

Otherwise, wherever the heck we can find room for it. Some of our houses are in some very tough spots around here.
                              “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                              ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X