Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kinda truck is this?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    fugeddabouddit
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 01-09-2011, 06:16 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
      To me, the lack of turrets, what appears to be the lack of a pump engine, (at least a LARGE pump engine) and the overall size, I don't think it is is ARFF.

      With a smaller engine for a pump I could see a wildland rig. Maybe something from SVI there in CO.

      But just looking at the front, something cries out to me, SNOW. I know, no tracks, but it just looks like the front end of something you would see going through a snowbank.
      Not all ARFF trucks had dual engines, in fact most smaller ARFF vehicles use a single engine to drive the truck and pump through use of a power divider. In the other thread, you can clearly see International logos on the door handle, however a search of International and ARFF hasn't turned up any clues.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by mcwops View Post
        Not all ARFF trucks had dual engines, in fact most smaller ARFF vehicles use a single engine to drive the truck and pump through use of a power divider. In the other thread, you can clearly see International logos on the door handle, however a search of International and ARFF hasn't turned up any clues.
        OK,but still articulated?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
          OK,but still articulated?
          Many articulated ARFF rigs out there. Oshkosh has one, the model number slips my memory at this time. There is also a Canadian builder who makes one that is somewhat popular in the Great, White North. Also previously mentioned were the ones built using CAT chassis.

          I believe the Canadian builder I am thinking of is Foremost. The chassis is called the "Maurader." IIRC, Thibault was a popular body builder for this chassis.
          Last edited by FWDbuff; 01-09-2011, 09:24 PM.
          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
            Many articulated ARFF rigs out there. Oshkosh has one, the model number slips my memory at this time. There is also a Canadian builder who makes one that is somewhat popular in the Great, White North. Also previously mentioned were the ones built using CAT chassis.

            I believe the Canadian builder I am thinking of is Foremost. The chassis is called the "Maurader." IIRC, Thibault was a popular body builder for this chassis.

            The Foremost Marauders that I find on the web show a drive engine before the articulation, and a pump engine behind the articulation.

            I realize there are many articulated ARFF rigs out there, I just am not familiar with ones that run a power train with divider or PTO past the articulation. I have no doubt that I am about to be show a hundred of them.

            Comment


            • #21
              Kind of reminds of the Gamma Goat (google it, it pops right up).

              We had them in the forest fire service, they were surplus vehicles.

              It screams military surplus....
              Last edited by ChiefKN; 01-09-2011, 11:24 PM.
              I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

              "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

              "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                Kind of reminds of the Gamma Goat (google it, it pops right up).

                We had them in the forest fire service, they were surplus vehicles.

                It screams military surplus....

                If it is, it has been heavily civilianized. (Is that a word?)

                On the wildland forum he has some better pictures, including the rear tail lights.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                  Kind of reminds of the Gamma Goat (google it, it pops right up).

                  We had them in the forest fire service, they were surplus vehicles.

                  It screams military surplus....
                  Doesn't look like any kind of Gamma Goat I've been on. The cab/drive section had four wheels on it, and the trailer had 2. Still 6 wheel drive.

                  This looks like a Cat of some kind.

                  FM1
                  I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

                  Originally posted by EastKyFF
                  "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The Oshkosh articulated CFR rigs were the DA1500 and DA 1800. They were not in production long and I don't believe too many were made.

                    General Mitchell IAP had one on the Milwaukee County Fire Department and only within the last year or so got rid of it.
                    Crazy, but that's how it goes
                    Millions of people living as foes
                    Maybe it's not too late
                    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      My best guess based on the body is that it was a BLM Wildland unit probably a prototype.

                      BLM used some articulated units in the late 70"s and early 80's. The ones I saw in use were based out of Nevada and Utah but we sometimes had them deployed to southern California. The units I saw in action were on an 8x8 chassis as I recall and probably built by Oshkosh.

                      Stay Safe

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I bought this truck cause it looked so cool and runs really well. It has a huge air compressor and a 5.9 cummins that runs through a power divider and runs a hydraulic motor. Right now it needs a couple of hose reel motors and an operation manual. Here are some more pictures It also has a ridewell corp suspension with a data plate dated 1990 and they sold it to International. from there the lead goes cold.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          The front articulates and oscilates. The steering position is in the center with two hosemen positions on either side of it. I assume the huge air compressor is for the foam system.
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by largeboar View Post
                            I bought this truck cause it looked so cool and runs really well. It has a huge air compressor and a 5.9 cummins that runs through a power divider and runs a hydraulic motor. Right now it needs a couple of hose reel motors and an operation manual. Here are some more pictures It also has a ridewell corp suspension with a data plate dated 1990 and they sold it to International. from there the lead goes cold.
                            Can you share where you bought it from? I am like the others who feel it is a BLM or at least wildland unit.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I would also like ot see a close up of the panel below the booster reel. Also, is their any data plate behind the drivers seat at all?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I bought it in colorado and the guy I got it from got it from Dove Creek vfd and he said they had no information on it as it was donated to them.
                                Attached Files

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X