Roll up doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll up doors

Does anyone have any suggestions as to keeping roll up doors on apparatus moving freely?

Keeping the tracks, guides, and rollers clean and lubed with a silicon based lubricant works pretty well for us.
    Member IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by wfd144 View Post
      Does anyone have any suggestions as to keeping roll up doors on apparatus moving freely?
      (1) Recall fondly how you never had this problem with traditional hinged doors.
      (2) Remove troublesome roll up doors.
      (3) Replace with traditional hinged doors.
      (4) Rejoice in the restoration of storage space wasted for roll-up doors.
      (5) Remember this when you spec your next apparatus.
      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
      sigpic
      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
        Absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by ThNozzleman View Post
          Keeping the tracks, guides, and rollers clean and lubed with a silicon based lubricant works pretty well for us.
          Agreed, we clean and lube the tracks of our roll-ups weekly. Even on my 10 year old engine with 150k miles on it, they're still working great.
          Career Fire Captain
          Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

And barn doors are fair game for mounting tools!
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, get rid of those pesky roll up doors. Heaven forbid you have to actually perform any basic maintenance or adjustment. We all know that hinges never need to be cleaned or lubed.
              Funny, we have engines running a couple of thousand runs a year and have no problem with the roll up doors. But then again, this is Minnesota, so there probably isn't any slush, road salt, sand, dirt or ice we have to deal with....
              My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
              "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
              George Mason
              Co-author of the Second Amendment
              during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
              Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

Originally posted by SPFDRum View Post
                Yes, get rid of those pesky roll up doors. Heaven forbid you have to actually perform any basic maintenance or adjustment. We all know that hinges never need to be cleaned or lubed.
                Seriously? I've never seen any reason to switch to roll-ups other than because we could. Hinged doors require maintenance, too, but far less of it than roll ups; they can store tools as noted above or they can even serve as a sheltor for the pump operator if they're hinged upwards; and, most of all, they don't waste space inside the compartment. I've yet to come up with any reason why a roll-up is a better choice than a hinged door.
                "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                sigpic
                The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

I've yet to come up with any reason why a roll-up is a better choice than a hinged door.
                  1. Less chance of taking out a support column between the bay doors when the door is either left open or comes open as the rig leaves the bay.

2. Lessens the profile of the rig when operating alongside the roadway with an open door.

3. Doesn't create an obstruction for hydraulic hoses or electrical cables when coming off a roller fairlead. They'll just come right out of the compartment without having to also go around a door.

4. How much stuff are you really storing at the top front of the compartment that at roll-up is keeping you from putting there? Seriously?

We're running over 50 rigs with roll-up doors and have used them since 1997. No chance of us going back to hinged doors.
                  Career Fire Captain
                  Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

One thing I can say is that I've never seen a roll-up door ripped off the truck.

Aside from that, take care of them (preventive maintenance, like washing out the tracks, lubing, etc.) and they'll last a good long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
                      One thing I can say is that I've never seen a roll-up door ripped off the truck.

Aside from that, take care of them (preventive maintenance, like washing out the tracks, lubing, etc.) and they'll last a good long time.
                      Big ten-four on that.

I've seen more then one company with a plywood replacement hinged door...

We had a compartment door ripped off by the mirror of a truck on the interstate.

Roll ups are great, never had an issue trying to open one when the space was tight and to be honest, do you really use the top five inches of a compartment? nahh...
                      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Both have their advantages, and not catching posts while exiting the station on a run is one for rollups, seen that a few times lately. Also the open hinged door sometimes has to be worked around, especially when you have a big heavy generator that need two people to get it out. I do like tool storage on the hinged door as well and nothing like stepping under the pop up hinged during a rain waiting for your crew to get back to the truck. Not sure what side of the isle I am on with this one.

Same maintanance as above, check it often clean it every so often. We usually check all doors during weekly checkoffs and maybe once a month or so clean out the roll ups but we really only have a few of those to worry about.

Comment

I never had the opportunity to operate an apparatus with rool-up doors. I do know however that a worn latch that isn't caressed upon closing will allow improperly secured SCBA tanks to leave a trail to the scene.

Comment

I hate roll up doors, in our mainly dirt road enviroment keeping them clean is almost impossible.

What is this about wiping out regular doors when leaving the station? What is the engineer doing?

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                              I hate roll up doors, in our mainly dirt road enviroment keeping them clean is almost impossible.

What is this about wiping out regular doors when leaving the station? What is the engineer doing?
                              The engineer cannot help a rear swing door coming open unexpectedly as the apparatus passes through the door jamb.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X