Info on '37 Ford ALF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on '37 Ford ALF

I seldom start threads and usually enjoy reading far more than posting, but I thought I'd throw this out to see if anyone can help. Our department's first real fire engine is a 1937 Ford/American LaFrance. We are considering doing a complete restoration if the funding is available. However, I'd like to see one like it, or similar, so we can replace the booster tank, hose bed, and other sections that have been changed or become missing over the years. I found one exactly like it on a northern department's website, except for it being red and having three sections of hard suction where ours has only two. I sent them a request on the email posted on their website, but never heard anything back. Googling for pics has turned up little to nothing. I'll try to post some pics, so if anyone knows of another one like it and can provide any info or a few good pics we'd sure appreciate it.
    Attached Files
    Member IACOJ

We have a 1940 Ford ALF, that been restored, would you like to see?
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

Originally posted by BULL321 View Post
      We have a 1940 Ford ALF, that been restored, would you like to see?
      Heck, yeah...you can post them here, or email me at [email protected]. Thanks!
      Member IACOJ

Comment

Do you have the serial number for this truck, may be on the pump panel, in the cab or fire wall.
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

might want to post on the youngstown forums
          ?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
            Do you have the serial number for this truck, may be on the pump panel, in the cab or fire wall.
            Sure do. Thought about submitting it to ALF and see if they can provide any info. Probably a long shot.
            Member IACOJ

Comment

Post the SN here, a number of us have resources we might be able to tap into.
              Career Fire Captain
              Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Here You go! "Old Red" 1940 Ford ALF.
                Attached Files
                Stay Safe
                Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
                - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

F1143 American LaFrance and Foamite Corp, Elmira, New York
                  Member IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by BULL321 View Post
                    Here You go! "Old Red" 1940 Ford ALF.
                    Looks like one of your fire trucks finally ripened up. ROFLMAO

FM1
                    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
                      Looks like one of your fire trucks finally ripened up. ROFLMAO

FM1
                      Only took 71 years.
                      Stay Safe
                      Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

Not sure what happened to the files at ALF in Elmira. We were fortunate enough to get our builders pictures(2) before the first move. The builders pix will be a side view with the serial number on a sign displayed below the running board. Suggest that you contact SPAAMFAA and ask who to contact about this. There are a number of folks doing some super restoration of old equipment. 2009 we did a tear down of our 4 cyl Type 40 engine and were able to find rings and valves for it. This is a 1917 Chemical and hose car with a 300 gpm Jr. pump. Still pumps. The builders picture will allow matching the original gold leaf patterns if you are interested in going back to the original.

Comment

Originally posted by KuhShise View Post
                          Not sure what happened to the files at ALF in Elmira. We were fortunate enough to get our builders pictures(2) before the first move. The builders pix will be a side view with the serial number on a sign displayed below the running board. Suggest that you contact SPAAMFAA and ask who to contact about this. There are a number of folks doing some super restoration of old equipment. 2009 we did a tear down of our 4 cyl Type 40 engine and were able to find rings and valves for it. This is a 1917 Chemical and hose car with a 300 gpm Jr. pump. Still pumps. The builders picture will allow matching the original gold leaf patterns if you are interested in going back to the original.
                          I'd love to have access to that sort of database. We actually have several pics of our Engine 1 from back in the day, but close up details are hard to locate. I'm in the process of forming a public request for anyone in the city or surrounding communities for pics and information they may have. Occasionally people will stop by when they discover a bit of department history a relative may have and donate it, such as old badges and the like. Here is a pic of our Engine 1 from about the same time it was purchased.
                          Attached Files
                          Member IACOJ

Comment

This is what they were using before purchasing the '37 ALF. I've been told it's an early 20's Buick rigged up to fight fire. I guess we've come a long way, baby!
                            Attached Files
                            Member IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by ThNozzleman View Post
                              I'd love to have access to that sort of database. We actually have several pics of our Engine 1 from back in the day, but close up details are hard to locate. I'm in the process of forming a public request for anyone in the city or surrounding communities for pics and information they may have. Occasionally people will stop by when they discover a bit of department history a relative may have and donate it, such as old badges and the like. Here is a pic of our Engine 1 from about the same time it was purchased.
                              That is a sharp looking rig!
                              Stay Safe
                              Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X