Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zebra Mussles

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Zebra Mussles

    Anyone have any experience drafting from a static water source that has zebra mussles?

    We have a lake that we were planning on using to refill tankers for a regional tanker drill and I found out that it has Zebra Mussles.

  • #2
    Make sure you use the appropriate strainer, and you should not have any problems.

    Comment


    • #3
      the mussle should not be too much of an issue. lake erie has them and there has not been any reported issues here. the shell could get caught at the strainer and if it doesn't it will be able to go through the eye and vanes of the impeller. then the last concern is your nozzles if they are adjustable patern nozzles it can clog them. but it will take alot of them to cause an issue severely hampering a tanker shuttle op.


      the biggest question i have is are you using just suction hose or is there a drafting hydrant? there could be some issues if the inside of the pipe has crusting on it.
      Originally Posted by madden01
      "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

      Comment


      • #4
        Hard Suction

        We are planning on setting engines up on the boat ramps and using 20' of 6" suction hose - we don't have any dry hydrants installed.

        The concern is that we would then have the larve in the trucks and if we then went and dumped water that ended up in another stream we could spread them to the new stream.

        If we flush everything really good after the drill, not sure how long the larve could live on the tanks.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mitchkrat View Post
          The concern is that we would then have the larve in the trucks and if we then went and dumped water that ended up in another stream we could spread them to the new stream.

          If we flush everything really good after the drill, not sure how long the larve could live on the tanks.
          That's a valid "heads up" concern. You might want to contact your local EPA office for recommendations.
          "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
          sigpic
          The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

          Comment


          • #6
            I did not know they were clear into KS.

            http://www.epa.gov/med/grosseile_sit.../dreissena.pdf

            Army Corps of Engineers may be the people to talk to.

            http://el.erdc.usace.army.mil/zebra/zmis/

            http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/a...ramussel.shtml
            Last edited by neiowa; 10-13-2010, 01:00 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mitchkrat View Post
              We are planning on setting engines up on the boat ramps and using 20' of 6" suction hose - we don't have any dry hydrants installed.

              The concern is that we would then have the larve in the trucks and if we then went and dumped water that ended up in another stream we could spread them to the new stream.

              If we flush everything really good after the drill, not sure how long the larve could live on the tanks.
              http://www.nationalatlas.gov/articles/biology/a_zm.html

              Bad news. Not only might transfer into a new body of water but could end up with the things growing inside your tank. Might even be a more likely outcome than spreading eggs in water flowing out of structure/foldatank. Mostly like that water would end up soaking into the soil/end of the eggs?

              One source I found says kill them by pressure wash with 140F water.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by neiowa View Post
                http://www.nationalatlas.gov/articles/biology/a_zm.html

                Bad news. Not only might transfer into a new body of water but could end up with the things growing inside your tank. Might even be a more likely outcome than spreading eggs in water flowing out of structure/foldatank. Mostly like that water would end up soaking into the soil/end of the eggs?

                One source I found says kill them by pressure wash with 140F water.
                does anyone know if mussles and their larva can live in the presence of a-foam or dish detergant if patch mixed into the tank?
                Originally Posted by madden01
                "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Household chlorine bleach. See :http://www.riverrelief.org/workspace...sselpolicy.pdf

                  Looks like one gallon (5.25% concentration) for every 250 gallons in the tank. Data says it will kill in 10 minutes. I'de be sure to circulate through all valves and pipes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KuhShise View Post
                    Household chlorine bleach. See :http://www.riverrelief.org/workspace...sselpolicy.pdf

                    Looks like one gallon (5.25% concentration) for every 250 gallons in the tank. Data says it will kill in 10 minutes. I'de be sure to circulate through all valves and pipes.
                    Next question is how chlorine bleach reacts with Cl A (or Ar-Afff) foam w/wo CAFS.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Gheez,
                      We used to only have to worry about putting out fires. Now we are in the vanguard of the enviromental war. Worrying about ground water contamination from various foams and now the spread of zebra mussles. I'm glad I'm retiring in a few years. Life is getting to complicated.

                      Does the snake head fish eat zebra mussles?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What about Milfoil?

                        Milfoil just came to mind...
                        Looks like I will need to call EPA.
                        "There's no such thing as a bad day,
                        Some are just better than others." JFR 1914-1997

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by donethat View Post
                          Gheez,
                          We used to only have to worry about putting out fires. Now we are in the vanguard of the enviromental war. Worrying about ground water contamination from various foams and now the spread of zebra mussles. I'm glad I'm retiring in a few years. Life is getting to complicated.

                          Does the snake head fish eat zebra mussles?
                          You DON'T Wanna know! T.C.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by donethat View Post
                            Gheez,
                            We used to only have to worry about putting out fires. Now we are in the vanguard of the enviromental war. Worrying about ground water contamination from various foams and now the spread of zebra mussles. I'm glad I'm retiring in a few years. Life is getting to complicated.

                            Does the snake head fish eat zebra mussles?
                            the is going cyclic like the old nursery rhyme: there was an old lady who live in a shoe... she swallowed the fly....
                            Originally Posted by madden01
                            "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Cant do that in Mass fresh waters

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X