International starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
    As I mentioned earlier check the junction block where the connections pass thru the Firewall. Ints have been KNOWN to have trouble here. As FM indicates,check the initiate wire with a DVOM, NOT a test light. A test light is OK for the quick test but you need a VOLTMETER to see what is REALLY going on. T.C,
    Yep, we are using a VOM. If I knew what block it was on the firewall, I would more
    than likely be able to check the wiring fairly easy.

I figure if it goes on too much more I will tag to the ign switch and just run my own
    wire to the solenoid, bypassing the factory wire. I just hate to do that, and suspect if
    there is a connector giving me issues somewhere, it will end up giving me further issues down the road.

Comment

OK, we've seemed to have ruled out that it isn't a solenoid problem. So lets try this.

I've only had to do it a couple times for verification of similar problems for different sources, but if you are able, do try this.

Get a cheap pigtail for a 194/168 bulb. Run a wire off your starter button that sends power to the solenoid and connect it to one wire off the pigtail. Run the other one to a good ground. Make sure you place the bulb/pigtail so you can easily see it.

What we are trying to do, is see if the starter button isn't the problem. Everytime you try to start the rig, the light should light up. If it lights up and doesn't start, then there's a problem from the start button to the solenoid. If it doesn't light up while trying to start, the problem is in your starter button.

I'm shooting in the dark here because I don't know how your rig is set up and wired. You can also use the above to find out if there is a problem with your ignition switch.

FM1
      I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
      "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
        OK, we've seemed to have ruled out that it isn't a solenoid problem. So lets try this.

I've only had to do it a couple times for verification of similar problems for different sources, but if you are able, do try this.

Get a cheap pigtail for a 194/168 bulb. Run a wire off your starter button that sends power to the solenoid and connect it to one wire off the pigtail. Run the other one to a good ground. Make sure you place the bulb/pigtail so you can easily see it.

What we are trying to do, is see if the starter button isn't the problem. Everytime you try to start the rig, the light should light up. If it lights up and doesn't start, then there's a problem from the start button to the solenoid. If it doesn't light up while trying to start, the problem is in your starter button.

I'm shooting in the dark here because I don't know how your rig is set up and wired. You can also use the above to find out if there is a problem with your ignition switch.

FM1
        I have 13 VDC at the ign switch on all contacts when it is in the start position.

I do NOT have 13VDC at the solenoid.

I want to check the wiring, connector blocks, etc between the two, but am having
        great difficulty chasing those wires. I thought about just clipping the wire coming off the ign switch, and running a wire to the solenoid, but am concerned about any safety switches I might bypass?

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
          I have 13 VDC at the ign switch on all contacts when it is in the start position.

I do NOT have 13VDC at the solenoid.

I want to check the wiring, connector blocks, etc between the two, but am having
          great difficulty chasing those wires. I thought about just clipping the wire coming off the ign switch, and running a wire to the solenoid, but am concerned about any safety switches I might bypass?
          Key switch,START wire. Color code SHOULD stay constant to junction block then to starter. Check for power on BOTH sides of the JB,Int has been KNOWN to have trouble here. T.C,

Comment

When faced with the condition: no-start, try wiggling the gear selector whilst engaging the starter switch and see if the starter engages, which will tell you that it is a neutral safety switch problem. Sometimes, there can be corrosion on the neutral switch contacts. Factory-installed dielectric grease on the contacts can cause the accumulation of all manner of debris that can cause connection woes.
            Also, run a jumper cable from a known-to-be-good ground to the starter housing to identify any grounding problems with the starter, but it sounds like your issue is with the lack of battery voltage at the solenoid. I'd be more inclined to think yours is going to be an intermittent voltage supply problem.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X