Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

FDNY Ladder CRASH:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
    So what you are saying is, is that the ladder company responds to block the road to protect the engine crew?
    More or less
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
      I believe their ladders also carry hydraulic tools, in case any doors or such need forcing on the vehicles...
      You are correct bones, but only certain Truck Companies carry tools ("SOC Truck Companies.) I don't know if 103 is one of these.

And this morning, on "The Secret List":
      This morning, in Anne Arundel County (Maryland) an engine company was blocking a crash scene in I-295 near I-195. The road conditions were really bad with black ice being a problem as well. Several civilian vehicles, losing control, struck fire apparatus as well as a medic unit. A civilian in a car was tragically killed as a result of that medic unit "struck" crash. No fire or EMS personnel were injured. One of their other engines was also struck at a separate scene but no one was hurt. More reminders of how "we" need to expect this to happen-and manage our personnel at a scene. Block and protect.

Wow...What the hell was an engine company doing at an accident scene where there was no fire involved? What possibly could they have done?
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
        You are correct bones, but only certain Truck Companies carry tools ("SOC Truck Companies.) I don't know if 103 is one of these.

And this morning, on "The Secret List":
        This morning, in Anne Arundel County (Maryland) an engine company was blocking a crash scene in I-295 near I-195. The road conditions were really bad with black ice being a problem as well. Several civilian vehicles, losing control, struck fire apparatus as well as a medic unit. A civilian in a car was tragically killed as a result of that medic unit "struck" crash. No fire or EMS personnel were injured. One of their other engines was also struck at a separate scene but no one was hurt. More reminders of how "we" need to expect this to happen-and manage our personnel at a scene. Block and protect.

Wow...What the hell was an engine company doing at an accident scene where there was no fire involved? What possibly could they have done?
        All of our trucks carry hurst tools. .....why are you guys even responding to this idiot though?
        Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Originally posted by 1OLDTIMER View Post
          I don't think I understand anything that I know about this. A BIG LADDER truck...with SIX firefighters for a lousy CAR fire? It must have been reported as a real BIG, TALL car.

Maybe you should educate yourself a bit before you start making accusations and dictating policy for a department, of which you are not a member.
          I hate to tell you the bad news, but we send a truck company to every car fire in the city here, as well. Our trucks have no water or hose, either.
          Here, all of our trucks carry hydraulic tools and power saws. Here, our trucks force open the hood and trunk, if need be.
          We also supply additional personnel, and as has already been stated, we add a level of protection to the engine while they extinguish the fire by blocking the road.

So, take your attitude, your rolling eyes, and go hump some other leg. Your sarcasm is not welcomed, nor will it be tolerated.
          If you didn't understand a policy, you could have asked a question as opposed to being a jag. You chose jag, so live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
            All of our trucks carry hurst tools. .....why are you guys even responding to this idiot though?

That's what happens when your team doesn't make the playoffs.

Comment

1. And what is it that I don't know "what the hell I am talking about?" Could you be a little more specific...opposed to making a broad statement...without (really) saying ANYTHING...Re: the topic?

2. I strongly recommend (not YOUR reccomend) that YOU loose the "name calling." But then, since this is YOUR usual MO...that would be asking too much I know.

3. I don't think FDNY Ladder 103 has a pump, tank or hose...but I could be incorrect on this.

4. Regardless, why does it take 6 men, a huge 100ft+ ladder (racing through the congested streets of NY)...for a lousy CAR [not a big commercial truck] fire? Maybe you (THINK) they NEED; 2 people for fire control; 2 for a RIT Team; 2 for traffic control?

3. Only a very few years ago, CARS fires were handled with 2 men and a 400/200 Mini-Pump w/a BOOSTER line, but I realize FDNY probably doesn't have "minis," so how about an engine Co.?
              If you are going to criticize someone for their misspellings, atleast spell "lose" correctly. As for the rest of your post, couldnt care less if you dont understand why we do things the way we do. Seems to me the only thing you would understand is the flavor of the window on your school bus.
              Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

FWDbuff:

From the original story:

Six firefighters from Ladder 103 were rushed to the hospital, two with serious but non-life threatening injuries.
                I read the original story (which obviously you didn't) Why do you insist upon repeating this statement ?
                Oh, and yes, once again, since you have failed to ask (in your apparent attempt to throw them "under the bus", pardon the pun..) the injured members involved in the accident will be ok.
                Oh, and one more time, just for clarification- the guys involved all suffered non life-threatening injuries, and are doing well. Just in case if you were wondering.
                Point out WHERE in ANY of my statements that I attempted to "throw them" under the bus." I assume you were Re: the 6 firefighters?

However in your attempt elevate yourself and to make me out some kinda of fool...I noticed that not once did you mention the 19 innocent CITIZENS on the damn bus...which YOU have (pardon the pun) "thrown under the bus." Oh I see...only 19 no-count citizens (taxpayers) that the emergency services are sworn to protect. Who cares about BUS riding peons anyway...except that maybe, just maybe one of those BUS riders might have been a firefighter or cop on his way to work! I bet that would change your tune!

Oldtimer- What exactly is inside that thick head of yours? Concrete? Solid marble? Sand? Sawdust? Because it sure as hell isn't brain matter.
                Quite a bit of good, old fashioned (obviously) UN-common sense, which there seems to be massive lack today. As I stated previously;
                Only a very few years ago, CARS fires were handled with 2 men and a 400/200 Mini-Pump w/a BOOSTER line, but I realize FDNY probably doesn't have "minis," so how about an engine Co.?
                Then you post some accident on the Interstate...which is totally unrelated, requiring a different assignment/response. How wold you handle a CAR...on a 8ft. clearance parking deck about 4 stories up? Don't think a big ladder or average Eng. ANYWHERE would make it there, but guess what...a "min" will truck right on up there as far as the floors go.

nmfire--> First...learn to spell. It's Dumb *** not Dumbass...Dumb ***. Your question has been answered at least 5 times now. But I'll answer it again since you're too stupid to comprehend it.
                Yes...if it's on a 6-lane, but shut the entire highway down for a CAR fire...I don't think so on a average city street. Has ANYONE EVER SAVED a CAR from burning anyway? Usually a worthless pile of ashes...hauled away in a garbage truck after it's extinguished.
                "Take care of yourself first. Life is too short and you never know what tomorrow or for that matter...what the next few seconds is going to bring."

Comment

So you disagree with FDNY sending the ladder for blocking on all vehicle fires, whether they're on the highway in the middle of Times Square...fine. It works for them, why are you worked up about it?

You hate 90% of the things the modern fire service does. We get it. Things have changed some since the 70's, sorry.

When's the last time you COMPLIMENTED anything you see the folks that are still on the front lines doing?
                  Career Fire Captain
                  Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Its obvious he doesn't actually care about the original issue, why a ladder was responding. He is more interested in criticizing FDNY and anyone here who defends their method.
                    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

I noticed that not once did you mention the 19 innocent CITIZENS on the damn bus...which YOU have (pardon the pun) "thrown under the bus." Oh I see...only 19 no-count citizens (taxpayers) that the emergency services are sworn to protect. Who cares about BUS riding peons anyway...except that maybe, just maybe one of those BUS riders might have been a firefighter or cop on his way to work! I bet that would change your tune!
                      Obviously you've never been to, on or near Mother Gaston Blvd, ENY or even Brooklyn for that matter. I'll bet dollars to donuts that less than 5% of those bus riders were actual "taxpayers"...most of them get a check on the 1st and the 15th if you know what I mean, or at the very least get a tax refund that gives them a negative tax burden. And based on my expereince in riding the bus on some details...many are fare beaters.

And according to a friend who was on a Company that responded to assist L103 and a friends nephew who is a cop in that precinct...there were a few who jumped on the bus...after the accident or claimed to have been hit by debris while standing in the street.(this is far from an unusual occurance and I'll spell it out for use since you appear to be a rube...They were looking for a pay day from the city!)

And to return to the point...we don't send the ladder company to a car fire to put the fire out...just the same we don't send them to a structural fire to extinguish it either...but they are still on the ticket.

FTM-PTB

Comment

well said fffred.. i cant believe people are argueing about sending a truck company to a car fire lol i live in arizona and my dad is on phoenix and some of the stuff they do is rediculous but i dont **** a brick about it lol there is a reason they send a ladder to a car fire as previously stated and it actually makes sense to the fdny because of past experiences. oh by the way... la city sends a battalion chief to a car fire..... so we could agrue about that if you want haha battalion 1 on scene of a working car fire we will be assuming command balance to a 1st alarm lol hahahahahaha oh im not ragging on la city its a bad *** dept

Comment

After sleeping on this, I want to apologize that it turned into such a name calling, hoopla. I assure everyone who commented on my [seemingly simple] original question of; "why a ladder w/no means of putting the wet stuff on the red stuff, would be dispatched to a car fire...NOT an accident." I cannot find anywhere where I "threw the FDNY F/F under the bus." I think that was assumed by a few.

Thinking back a few months, I recall a quint responding to a car fire behind an Eng. Co. [I think somewhere in Ohio], and the quint hit a car...killing a man and little boy. The question was raised...[by city officials]..."why was a quint responding to a car fire w/an Eng." Shortly thereafter, a number of cities started a "new" concept, with only the first unit responding running "hot."

It is obvious [now] that I know nothing about the assignments in NY, and I imagine due to my old age, retirement with too much time on my hands, that I have become somewhat "sidewalk critical." I have a few close friends who have become the same way...a couple are Ret. chiefs. Guess it comes with the territory...after you realize that your societal usefulness is over.

This is not a good time to be argumentative...due to the absolute mess the economy of the U.S. and world is in...and which I feel will be getting much worse in the next few months.

Again, I apologize for any inflammatory statements I made. I wish everyone a good, uneventful and safe season...and for 2009 and beyond.
                          "Take care of yourself first. Life is too short and you never know what tomorrow or for that matter...what the next few seconds is going to bring."

Comment

Apology accepted, and I will even be an adult here and apologize for the abrasive comments towards you.

That being said however, it was explained to you several times (both directly and indirectly) that the reason FDNY sends a truck on an auto fire is for purposes of blocking traffic to protect members of the operating engine company.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, and be safe in 2009.

Lets let this thread die.
                            "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Back at ya FWDbuff:

Thanks, apology accepted.

I agree, this thread is dead...as far as I am concerned.

See y'all all next year...if I'm still kickin' around and welcome. A '09 resolution of mine is to attempt to be NOT so critical/cynical.

Happy holidaze to you and yours!

Comment

See y'all all next year...if I'm still kickin' around and welcome.

Well, hopefully you will still be alive and well. How many years did you pension off with?

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse