Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

How NOT to drive a firetruck.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How NOT to drive a firetruck.

Amazing with all the stories online about accidents involving apparatus responding to calls that people still drive like this with no reguard to public safety.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QYGh...eature=related

If you think this one is bad, look in the right hand column on the same page for the video "E371 Foote St Job." Same department, different incident. The quality of the video is less, as is the driving. When it comes to the attitudes towards driving EV's, it's a county unlike the rest of the US....

Some of the replies to said videos were penned by yours truly. These were posted several months ago, and have been rightfully criticized by most who watch them -- but a few still seem to think it's okay. What a shame...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
      If you think this one is bad, look in the right hand column on the same page for the video "E371 Foote St Job." Same department, different incident. The quality of the video is less, as is the driving. When it comes to the attitudes towards driving EV's, it's a county unlike the rest of the US....

Some of the replies to said videos were penned by yours truly. These were posted several months ago, and have been rightfully criticized by most who watch them -- but a few still seem to think it's okay. What a shame...
      You're right the other video is worse then the first one. I don't know what was worse passing on the right of other vehicles,blowing through the red lights muscling other vehicles out of the way or the ridiculous speed they were traveling especially down the secondary streets. These guys need to realize you wont be much help if you don't make it to the scene. If anyone in my department ever drove like that it would be the last time they ever got behind the wheel.

Comment

I'm afraid to even link to the other after watching that video....

That is scary, to think that anyone who believes in public safety and fire Protection drives like that is off their rocker. This I hope is a very isolated incident involving one poor driver.... I'm sure that the very next poster will tell me different however.

I really hope there is a police officer or sheriff from that county having seen that. That's not community safety, on more than one occasion it seemed as if that engine was ready to roll, at the very least cause a devastating collision.

I hope that many an operator take a hard look at their driving style after that.

Comment

Hold on.... I'm catching my breath.......Whew. Breath....

I can't count how many times I cringed, when he went through red lights, speeding thru curves, and then going in the opposing lanes with a green light. I thought I was sure to see a rollover, or personal injury collision.

That wouldn't fly here. He is one lucky SOB. And it will catch up to him/her sooner or later.

FM1
          I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
          "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

I'm hoping Harve will chime in on this, since he'd be intimately familiar with the normal driving practices of this county...

But, to answer the question about this being isolated to one driver or department, I sadly say, no, it's more rampant that you might imagine...
            Career Fire Captain
            Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

First off I'm guessing prince george county MD?
              Second you mean to tell me that this MORON drove like that to go to a medical assist call when the ambulance is already on scene. This clown would not only never drive one of our apparatus , they would no longer be on the department. I lost track of how many violations [blown stop signs, & red lights , unsafe lane changes, passing stopped traffic by swerving back & forth across multiple lanes, unsafe speeds,] occurred during this 6 minute video . These clowns are stupid enough to post evidence like this on the internet. Would I love to be a shark representing someone injured by a big red truck in this county. Slam dunk multi million dollar settlement after showing the jury this six minutes of evidence. Around here I might even point the district attny in the direction of the video and ask them to investigate whether or not to file criminal charges against the driver and the officer that allows this type of bad behavior!

Apparently the term drive with due regard to the safety of the public means nothing in MD.
              Last edited by islandfire03; 05-31-2008, 07:19 PM. Reason: Brain cramp :-]

Comment

I just find it hard to believe that someone would post these videos thinking how cool they are. Don't they realize that the people they serve, including municipal supervisors, watch these and can form the same opinion we all have?
                Steve Dragon
                FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
                Volunteers are never "off duty".
                http://www.bufd7.org

Comment

Originally posted by dragonfyre View Post
                  I just find it hard to believe that someone would post these videos thinking how cool they are. Don't they realize that the people they serve, including municipal supervisors, watch these and can form the same opinion we all have?
                  Ditto... The Videos would serve as a witness point in removal as a driver forever!!
                  The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
                  proof of His absence.

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
                    Second you mean to tell me that this MORON drove like that to go to a medical assist call when the ambulance is already on scene. This clown would not only never drive one of our apparatus , they would no longer be on the department. I lost track of how many violations [blown stop signs, & red lights , unsafe lane changes, passing stopped traffic by swerving back & forth across multiple lanes, unsafe speeds,] occurred during this 6 minute video . These clowns are stupid enough to post evidence like this on the internet. Would I love to be a shark representing someone injured by a big red truck in this county. Slam dunk multi million dollar settlement after showing the jury this six minutes of evidence. Around here I might even point the district attny in the direction of the video and ask them to investigate whether or not to file criminal charges against the driver and the officer that allows this type of bad behavior!

Apparently the term drive with due regard to the safety of the public means nothing in MD.

Very well Put!

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post

It's Ritchie VFD in Prince George County,MD.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQ3MltwvTw

http://www.ritchie37.com/index.php
                      They even have a ride along form available in the download section,I don't think I'd ever feel that adventurous. Hopefully those videos are from just 1 or 2 drivers,if not then they have a serious lack of driver training,and command issues to say the least.
                      Last edited by wconlon53; 06-01-2008, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Drivers. Did they get a licence out of a packet of cornflakes? I wouldn't ride with a driver like either of those two - not more than once anyway (and one effort like that would have you in the back seat for a very long time).

PPE - fantastic. Red shorts and a white muscle top. Get off of the fireground.

Over four minutes and STILL no water flowing through those feed lines. And the first line was run before they got there.

I'm sure those guys do some things right - can we see a video of one of those times?

PS. No, we're not perfect. But bloody hell!
                        Last edited by volfirie; 06-02-2008, 03:36 AM.
                        "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Comment

Originally posted by wconlon53 View Post
                          It's Ritchie VFD in Prince George County,MD.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQ3MltwvTw
                          I can't believe they use part of the other video in this one also. Not even 1 minute into it they're showing the shift to the far right lane and cross over all 4 lanes to make a left portion.
                          Steve Dragon
                          FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
                          Volunteers are never "off duty".
                          http://www.bufd7.org

Comment

I'm scared!

Holy Sh$%, I counted 4 stops signs and 2 red lights that they never even yield for nevermind stop. The last turn, I hope that was a parked vehicle or the people in it need ne underwear! How many different lanes die he use?

I have suspended operators for less!

Comment

Originally posted by dragonfyre View Post
                              I can't believe they use part of the other video in this one also. Not even 1 minute into it they're showing the shift to the far right lane and cross over all 4 lanes to make a left portion.
                              This one was only 3 red traffic lights and 1 block of driving into oncoming traffic. The command vehicle that pulled was moving quite fast as well. Maybe this why it is allowed!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90