Specific Drivers Licence for driving a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specific Drivers Licence for driving a

I am interested in purchasing for our home a 1933 Seagrave or a 1946-47 American LaFrance open air fire trucks, or a similiar parade vehicle.

Can anyone tell me would I need a special drivers license in New York to drive these type trucks? they are either 8 or 16 passengers. One vechicle that I saw and liked weighted 8800 lbs. My intentions are to drive the trucks to local orphanages and take the kids out for rides. Do I need to put in seat belts in the back seats, which I would do anyway, however I wanted to know if it is is illeagle to drive without them.

Any idea where I can locate vechiles such as these?

Thanking you in advance!

Keep your eye on e-bay, I have seen a few pop up from time to time.

Comment

Things to think about

First it does not matter how much the truck weighs, it's the GVW that is going to determine if you need a CDL. If I'm not mistaken, if it is over 26,000 GVW you will need a class B CDL.

If you plan on driving children around make sure you have lots of insurance. A few months ago up here in NH a Cub Scout was killed that fell under the wheels of a small trailer he was riding on in a parade. I'd hate to have that happen to anyone but imagine the law suit that will be.

If NY is like any other state seat belts are required for anyone riding in a moving vehicle. Why would a fire truck used the way you are considering be any different.

Comment

Originally posted by tomwnh View Post

If NY is like any other state seat belts are required for anyone riding in a moving vehicle.
        Yes, "seat belts are required for anyone riding in a moving vehicle," however...NOT REQUIRED in a lousy school bus. WHAT! Better yet, the motorcycle cop who gives the driver a $200 ticket for non-compliance...isn't wearing one either. WHAT! I was born at night...but not last night!
        "we learn from history...that we do not learn from history"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X