Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Order of Response (Best Use of Quint)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Order of Response (Best Use of Quint)

Hi everybody,

I've tried to search the forms but I haven't found anything that quite fits my question. Please forgive me if I picked the wrong sub-forum, this one seemed like it!

We are looking at rearranging our order of response for structure fires to better utilize our quint. Here are some quick references for our department

Fleet:

2012 Sutphen SL75 1500/420 - 5 x SCBA
    Tanker 1050/2500
    Pumper/Tanker 1050/1500
    Heavy Rescue 5 x SCBA, Cascade system

Department:

Unstaffed - Fully volunteer. Most members work out of town during daytime. Typically a fairly aggressive department, interior attack common.

Service area:

Small town with apprx. 1500 dwellings, hydrants available (water supply not generally an issue), situated on a hill with water pressure at the hydrant varying sharply depending on elevation. A number of abandoned homes.

Currently, our order of response to structure fires is as follows:

Tanker , Heavy Rescue, Pumper/Tanker, Quint

We all believe this makes poor use of our Quint and prohibits the ability to place it most effectively. The question is, do we make use of the Quint's ability to "do it all" and run it is our attack truck to be backed up by our tanker, or do we utilize it in the same manner we currently use our Heavy Rescue, and have it respond with manpower without running lines from it during the initial attack. Does anyone have experience running a similar sized quint in a similar coverage area?

Just some thoughts....

Your quint is acting as your only ladder company. It can do all but placement can be different for an engine vs. ladder company. So for the sake of discussion it is your ladder company.

You say you are running the tanker as first due, which commits it for attack and not to do what it is intended to do haul water. You also state you have an engine tanker.

So if you ran the Engine Tanker as first due and quint second due then tanker as third it gets most of your fire fighting capabilities at the scene in an order that should cover your needs.

This of course is dependent on the time of day, type of call, drivers available, etc etc etc.... you have to be fluid and put the best approach you can based on the resources you have to address that particular call and time of day.

Again just thoughts..... you have to figure out what works for you.

Comment

Agree with ChiefDog.... I don't think you are using your apparatus in the best way possible, and the ideal response would be pumper/tanker, quint (functioning as a ladder company), than tanker and then heavy rescue. If your area is in a designated bad hydrated area, I might say roll the tanker with 1 guy right behind the pumper to give you more water. No need for the heavy rescue on the initial attack, other than ISO points.

The ladder's turntable should be at the front of the building, so having it arrive 4th typically means it's placement isn't idea. You should also have similar firefighting equipment on the rescue and ladder (hooks, forcibl entry tools, irons, etc), so bringing the ladder second allows you to do truck work and go to the roof from the stick if needed.

Unless you are in an all quint system, I don't like running lines off your quint, because it limits your use of the aerial. However, my former department had an engine and ladder, and one day when the engine was on an assignment for an overturned vehicle, we were dispatched for a structure fire in our first due, and took the ladder and it pumped like a champ.

Quints are great, because you can do engine or truck work. but you will still be limited by manpower, so it's tough to do both at the same time. Let the pumper and tanker do engine work, and the quint do truck work, knowing that if the engine is unavailable, you can still pump from the ladder.
      If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

It makes absolutely no sense at all to send the tender out first. Further, since the heavy rescue has no pump sending it second is also counter productive.

In a non-hydrant area send the engine first followed by the tender, then the quint, and lastly the heavy rescue.

In hydranted areas send the quin first to allow for unblocked positioning, second the engine, third the tender then the heavy rescue.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Appreciate the thoughtful responses, and a third option we hadn't really considered. Thanks!

Comment

We've found that getting a line on the fire in residential fires has been the most productive use of our staff and apparatus. I'd look at sending the quint first backed up by incoming water second. If you're primarily rural water or poorly spaced hydrants I'd think the pumper tanker needs to go to the water source? With the tanker as the in between or nurse tank and then the heavy rescue last. How your town is laid out can be a big factor. Are most homes on private driveways that must be accesses by apparatus or are most street-side? Is there room for maneuvering or do you mostly get one shot at the aerial positioning? Any which way makes me think quint first (that's really their niche).

So: Quint then Tanker to the scene, followed by pumper/tanker to the water source, heavy rescue to the scene.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90