Rolling code 3 passing on the right regularly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling code 3 passing on the right regularly

I have been I have been a police police officer for more than 25 years in a city with millions of people and the worst traffic in the United States. After retiring I moved to the mountains and joined the fire department as a paid call firefighter. It's basically a volunteer that receive a paycheck as required by California state law and Workers Compensation Insurance. I am EVOC certified as an instructor. I have noticed that one state in particular has what are called fire police which I find a curious name since they have no powers of arrest authority. As I have read based on the state's law only a captain or a lieutenant may roll code 3 with lights and siren.

Watching videos I've noticed watching videos I've noticed that in one particular jurisdiction there is an individual that goes on 10 minute code three runs to put traffic cones out. The biggest issue I have with this is that the driver regularly uses the right hand shoulder at a high speed with a siren activated. Drivers are conditioned to pull to the right when hearing the sound of a siren. We taught our officers not to use the siren when passing on the right until coming to an intersection and then clearing the intersection and going from there. In fact, we teach our officers and our firefighters to use the center median whenever available. This isn't always possible and I understand that.

I'm really curious how someone who is not a captain or a lieutenant in the fire police can be rolling full code 3 and disobey the fundamentals of EVOC. As I said I am a paid call firefighter in the largest county in the United States. We have ample opportunity to roll code. I'm curious what your thoughts are on using a siren while passing on the right with no intention of merging into the traffic to get to the center median. It seems like a recipe for having a motorist pulled to the right just as you're trying to pass them. The same applies to what I've seen as far as rolling through a school zone code 3 without reducing the speed. To me this just seems aggressive driving. The recommended speed for passing on the right is 5 mph. This isn't what I've seen.

I am I am also curious about the concept of fire police. We have an equivalent known COPS. Citizens On Patrol. They drive marked Sheriff's Department units with amber light bars and do not roll code. our firefighters are actually certified in traffic control, which is an actual course of instruction. Based on manpower availability they're capable of directing traffic on their own. Once the sheriff's department goes on scene they will take over as necessary. It seems to me that if you need to roll 10 minutes code three to put out traffic cones you don't have enough volunteers. I also don't understand the concept of putting the motoring public at risk of a volunteer rolling code 3 to put out traffic cones. It's just a foreign concept to me.

What are what are your thoughts?

In California our fire police are referred to as investigators. That goes for CalFire, the State wide fire agency. you'll be able to tell the difference when you see him in blue overalls with a slightly different badge on and a full gun belt on. The same applies to San Bernardino County where I live, as well as the forest service law enforcement.

The state I am referring to is Pennsylvania. I really don't understand rolling 10 minutes code 3 to put out traffic cones while passing on the right at full speed in the process. The rule of thumb is no more than 5 miles an hour and you turn your siren off until you hit the intersection and then activated again. That way nobody pulls to the right right into your door or back quarter panel. you can use your air horn is necessary.

Comment

Interestingly, our issue with passing to the right is the opposite, our local PD's do it routinely, despite State Police PSA's urging people to obey the "pull to as far to the right and stop" TV campaign. Nothing like being in a "procession" of emergency vehicles and having someone doing the opposite.

Our driver training program and policy notes that you should only pass to the left as you are by law requiring the motorists to pull to the right but, alas, people are human and they are unpredictable. We have more issues in areas where there are two lanes in the same direction, with motorists stopping in the left lane forcing you to go around to the right.

Comment

Originally posted by krazybob View Post

Watching videos I've noticed watching videos I've noticed that in one particular jurisdiction there is an individual that goes on 10 minute code three runs to put traffic cones out. The biggest issue I have with this is that the driver regularly uses the right hand shoulder at a high speed with a siren activated. Drivers are conditioned to pull to the right when hearing the sound of a siren. We taught our officers not to use the siren when passing on the right until coming to an intersection and then clearing the intersection and going from there. In fact, we teach our officers and our firefighters to use the center median whenever available. This isn't always possible and I understand that.

?
        The other day this video came across as 'recommended' after I pulled up something on YouTube. Sounds like your guy:

https://youtu.be/5JirXr4Drto
        Last edited by Too_Old; 11-30-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X