Safe manning on a ladder truck

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Heisten

Safe manning on a ladder truck

What is safe manning for a ladder truck, and why?

[This message has been edited by Mike Heisten (edited January 02, 2000).]
  • morriss

I say a minimum of 4. 1 driver/operator, 1 Officer and 2 firefighters. Of course more would be better and would allow multiple operations to occur. However, in my areaour minimum is 4 for this reason. If the call does not require the driver/operator to remain with the unit, then you can make at least 2 two man crews for vetilation, etc.

Comment

• pompanofd

JUST LOOK AT THE BIG CITIES (N.Y.,LA,NJ,BOSTON ETC.) MOST HAVE 6 MAN LADDERS BUT GO DOWN TO 5 MAN MIN. WHY SAFETY & WORK LOAD. NFPA HAS PROVEN THAT WITH SMALLER CREWS COME MORE INJURIES. MY DEPARTMENT ONLY RUNS A 3 MAN LADDER! SAD PART IS IT'S ONLY USED AS AN ENGINE(QUINT) NOT A TRUE TRUCK CO. BE SAFE......

Comment

• Dave Grice

Just out of curiousity-- how many ff's do you have to man a truck? Four should be the min. but I have seen surrounding dept.'s use as little as two on the truck and hope to meet up with an extra crew from an available squad. I guess it's up to how you can juggle your platoon to a ratio that fits your needs. Stay safe.

Comment

• FIRE549

4 should be the minimum.

We currently have four front line ladder apparatus. They are manned by 2,1,2,1 personnel respectively.

Comment

• Truck30

4 Man Minimum. If the main bed ladder is not in service , the crew is split into 2 two FF crews, which includes the driver/operator. Then any interior and/or exterior duties can be handled at the same time.

3 man crews are an invitation for disaster.

If the driver/operator is committed to the aerial device, The officer and and the other 2 FF should pick the most pressing need and do it as a 3 FF crew. The 2nd due truck would be assigned to pick up the slack.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...