No announcement yet.

US firetrucks and use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I answer redbaron by Private Message to not perturb the post.

A question :
    When a firetruck leave the firehouse : what do you say ? is their a special word ?

An other question of language :
    You say : You "dispatch" a Engine to the point of care.
    Is dispatch the good word ?

In france we say : "Décaler" translate by : Shift

Comment

Originally posted by redbaron View Post
      Have you ever used one of these aerials? Please let FWDBuff know how many ground ladders you carry on your aerials!!!
      noscollections, how do you say in French "Where are the ground ladders on that glorified sauerkraut cart?"
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by noscollections View Post
        When a firetruck leave the firehouse : what do you say ? is their a special word ?
        Many places will say "Enroute" or "Responding," but there are also departments that are still using 10-codes, so they'd say something like "10-17" or "10-76"...or whatever the appropriate code was for their locality.

Is it Columbus, OH that marks enroute "Wheels Rolling"?

As for who you're calling on the radio, that also depends on the locality. Some of them I've heard are Radio, Dispatch, Central, Fire Board, 911, Dispatcher, or the name of the locality itself.

As you can see, the US operates much more locally than as a national fire service like you might see in the EU.
        Career Fire Captain
        Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
          noscollections, how do you say in French "Where are the ground ladders on that glorified sauerkraut cart?"
          I have some difficulties to translate the sentense.

some word are starng in it : sauerkraut

ladder : ok but "ground ladder" !

http://www.netpompiers.fr/index.php?...te&id_vh=33143

if you ask about the "basket" at the top of the ladder, this is "nacelle"

Comment

I have some difficulties to translate the sentense.

some word are starng in it : sauerkraut

ladder : ok but "ground ladder" !

http://www.netpompiers.fr/index.php?...te&id_vh=33143

if you ask about the "basket" at the top of the ladder, this is "nacelle"
            We refer to ladders that are carried and raised by hand as "ground ladders." They range in length from 10 feet to 50 feet (3 to 15 metres). Common lengths are 14 feet (4.25 metres), 24 feet (7.3 metres), 28 feet (8.5 metres) and 35 feet (10.7 metres). Ladders longer than 20 feet usually are in two or three sections, called flies.

Engines usually carry a complement of ground ladders totalling 11 or 12 meters, although they may carry more. The engines in my department carry approximately 30 metres of ground ladders.

Aerial ladder trucks usually carry more ground ladders, as much as 65 metres, in addition to the aerial device.

FWDbuff dislikes European aerial ladder trucks (Metz, especially) because they usually do not carry many ground ladders. His reference to sauerkraut is to the distinctly German dish made from cabbage.

Comment

ahhhhhhhhhhh OK

Our "EPA" (Echelle Pivotante Automatique -> Automatic turntable ladders) not have "ground ladder" ( we also say portable ladder !)

Ground ladder are on other vehicles.
              You can found it on 2 principal vehicles :
              the equivalent of the engine ( FPT -> Fourgon Pompe Tonne -> ton van pump) van is not a good traduction, this is a truck) a ladder is on the roof
              Or on a van call VTU -> véhicule tout usage --> all use vehicle. this is really a van, the ladder is on the roof

You are fan of ground ladder

Comment

ahhhhhhhhhhh OK

Our "EPA" (Echelle Pivotante Automatique -> Automatic turntable ladders) not have "ground ladder" ( we also say portable ladder !)

Ground ladder are on other vehicles.
                You can found it on 2 principal vehicles :
                the equivalent of the engine ( FPT -> Fourgon Pompe Tonne -> ton van pump) van is not a good traduction, this is a truck) a ladder is on the roof
                Or on a van call VTU -> véhicule tout usage --> all use vehicle. this is really a van, the ladder is on the roof

You are fan of ground ladder
                Ground ladders are frequently used in the U.S. In many parts of the country, especially in old cities, ground ladders may be used more than aerial ladders. Even on aerial ladder trucks where many ground ladders are carried, you will often see the ground ladders off and in use, and the "main" or "stick" or "bucket" still bedded. Boston, Massachusetts Fire Department is renowned for their use extensive use of ground ladders. Many cities and towns in New England follow their example.

The term "portable ladder" is common here, too.

There is a web site, www.phillyfirenews.com which is about fires and fire department news in Phildelphia, Pennsylvania; Camden, New Jersey and the surrounding areas of southeast Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. They often show pictures of fires in the area where you may see many examples of ground ladder placement and use.

Comment

In France, firefighters do missions but I don't think US firefighters do the same.
                  I will give you some exemples, for earch I would like to know if LAFD do the type of missions and if "yes", which vehicles can do it.

- wast nest destruction
                  - flood garage or cellar (put out water after big rain )
                  - cat block in a tree
                  - children block in a appartment ( door blocked, open it by destroy ou go by the windows (break to open the door)
                  - gas leak (in a house or in a street)
                  - forest fire
                  - dangerous animal escape (like crocodile in a pool )
                  - cow stuck in a field
                  - roof damage by a storm , put a tarp
                  - elevator blocked, unlock and deliver people
                  - security inspection in public building
                  - school prevention
                  - go to the supermarket to buy someting to eat for the firefighters lunch !!!!
                  If someone can help me, I'm still interesting. After that I will could work for my personal project.

Comment

If someone can help me, I'm still interesting. After that I will could work for my personal project.
                    Wasp nest (or any other kind of bees): No, except maybe in self defense.

Flooding in buildings (pumping out basements, for example: Some do, some do not. That's an individual department's policy decision. We do not, but some of our neighbors do. We did buy some trash pumps to lend to residents to use for this purpose.

Cat in a tree: Again, local policy.

Children trapped: Yes

Gas leak: Yes. Also contact the gas utility company.

Forest fire: Generally, yes. Many areas where forest fires are common have special forest fire units and personnel. Real forest fire fighting is a specialty that requires specific equipment and specially trained members.

Dangerous animal: Generally, no. Call animal control people, zoos, etc.

Cow (or horse) stuck in a field: Not normally a fire department duty, but there are cases on record where no one else had equipment that would do the job, so the fire department assisted.

Roof damage from a storm: Usually not. There are private contractors in most parts of the country that do that. When the roof damage is a result of ventilating a fire, many fire departments to provide temporary covers.

Stuck elevator: Generally, yes.

Security inspection: For fire hazards, some do. In many parts of the country there are Code Enforcement people who do that.

School fire prevention education: Many do that.

Go to the store for food: Most everyone does that.

Comment

The vehicle that I think is this one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BFDandUVES.JPG

HEY I know that big red boo boo box!
                      Fyrtrks

Comment

Hello everybody,

I'm back from hollidays ! I'm now full of energy to work again on my project of understanding US Fire Department system.

I have made a resume of your datas. I will confirm my resum by FireRescue61 (thanks to him)

I will probably ask some questions to you later.

Thanks to everyone for your good help.

Best regards

Chris

PS : yesterday I watch the movie "Ladder 49"

Comment

Good to see you again, welcome back.

Be very careful of what you watch for movies. 90% of them are off base, and miss the basics as to fire fighting. You need to remember that you are watching a Hollywood movie, made to excite the audience, and nothing more.

FM1
                          I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                          "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post

Be very careful of what you watch for movies. 90% of them are off base, and miss the basics as to fire fighting. You need to remember that you are watching a Hollywood movie, made to excite the audience, and nothing more.

FM1
                            I watch the trucks and see that you use a lot "ground" ladder. Yes some parts of the movie look not real also for us in France.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post

FM1
                              Ladder 49 was not real? Say it isn't so.

Comment

Originally posted by rm1524
                                Ladder 49 was not real? Say it isn't so.
                                I was surprised as well. Thanks to Backdraft, I've been edumicated.

FM1
                                I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                                "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X