No announcement yet.

Ford E series ambulance chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My boss started buying used trucks with the 7.3, to avoid having to get another new truck that would spend most of it's first year of life OOS.

Comment

Originally posted by npfd801 View Post
      Interesting comments, but some facts you stated are wrong. International is building the new 6.4L diesel going into the new rigs. These are the motors that IH suspended production of because Ford wouldn't pay for them, not the 6.0L.
      http://www.internationaldelivers.com...ail.asp?id=839
      International built the 6.0L that was in the E-Series as well. This link clearly states the issues with Navistar & Ford over the 6.0L. Many thought the 6.4L would work for the E but that was only a plan by Ford and there is not enough room to cram it in the E series.

http://www.stnonline.com/artman/publ...cle_6401.shtml

Cutaway production for the fire and emergency market may only account for 10% of the E-series production. But what about all of the rental moving trucks, or the diesel powered vans I see running around being operated by contractors or delivery companies? Does anyone have a real count as to what percentage of E-series production of the total used diesel power? I really suspect that brand loyalty will only go so far, and much of the market will defect to GM or a Sprinter for their van needs if they want diesel motivation.
      Most of the U-Hauls & such others are running around here with Ford gas V-10's already. Besides get a good look at them most are in the E-350 line. The G series by GM , matches up to the Ford E-350 easily.

I do agree with the comments about the new F series with the diesel. We've been warned as dealers that anything we do that gets into the engine compartment of a unit with the new diesel will cost huge money because of all the labor required to get in there.
      Same thing we have been told. Once I figure out how to upload PICS I'll put up a few I have of the new F series front end.

Comment

2008 F-series 6.4L pictures

Here are the pictures of the new F-series 6.4L engine.
        Attached Files

Comment

2008 F-series cab photos

Here are two photo's of the cab on the new 08 F-series. I think it's very toy like a lot of plastic.
          Attached Files

Comment

Man that is one ugly truck, why are there six radiators..by the way is that a "SUPER DUTY"..couldn't tell..LOL

Comment

buckdog,

The six radiators are for cooling due to the new government EPA regulations.

Just think this is only the begining, in 2010 all new standards and even more garbage, under the hood.

Comment

Even has Super Duty across the bottom of the tailgate.

Comment

I saw a couple out at the plant last week, and I agree - the only way to make the new F series look remotely decent it to chrome up the front, which I'm sure puts you in a more expensive trim level. That cheap black plastic grill and the el cheapo interior bits do nothing to help the new Tonka inspired rig.

I didn't think the previous generation looked too shabby. Personally, Ford may have shot themselves in the foot with this one. The first ambulance on one of these chassis will be interesting.
                  "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Re the website listed above showing the redesigned E-Series chassis...

That has to be the most rediculous looking truck I have ever seen. God help us if they actually produce those...they are ugly as sin.
                    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

Comment

Why dont you guys use the F-Series chassis.
                      The ride is some much better and can handle more weight.
                      Not to mention....Much easier to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by COBRA5 View Post
                        Why dont you guys use the F-Series chassis.
                        The ride is some much better and can handle more weight.
                        Not to mention....Much easier to work on.
                        The easier to work on thing is gone with the new F series chassis with a diesel. There is NO way anything can be added under that hood easily with the way the new motor is packaged. We just had one to look at during our dealer meeting and I'm convinced that doing anything under the hood will cost major dollars once the rig is out of warranty.
                        "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

My understanding is to do anything major to the engine the cab has to come off. I have seen a couple up close and it not designed with the mechanic in mind. But most everything is made to meet the new regulations so cannot blame Ford with everthing.

Comment

I heard yesterday from our local ambulance dealer that Ford will in early 2008 be offering the 6.0 L engine in the E series, not the 6.4. Can anybody verify this?

Comment

That is correct. The E series will be the 6.0. The F series is the 6.4

Comment

I've heard confirmation of this as well. I wonder now if this "opening" in Ford's market will be what GM needs to make a dent in it, or just a hassle to everyone who wants the Fords....

Speaking on '07 diesels, anyone see yet that Cummins has an ISM coming in July that WILL NOT require the diesel particulate filter. This will be a cost savings...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X