Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing Older Midmount Aerials/TL's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    I have some Aerialscope information for you,the platform entry at ground level is 34' from the side of the truck. Outrigger spread : 249 " on the 95' model. 1000 lb platform capacity while flowing 1500gpm at any boom angle !....
    249" outrigger spread? That must be wheel base. I think the outrigger spread is about 13' 6" on the 95 footer, a little short of 20' 9".

    Comment


    • #17
      According to the Seagrave website the jack spread is 249" for the 95 and 235 for the 75. Unless they did a major rework of that boom the 95' does not touch the ground anywhere close to 34' from the rig.

      Comment


      • #18
        As far as American truck work goes,we've been spoiled.Let me go there a minute.If one looks carefully at a Metz you'll find that it isn't really a mid nor rear mount.Rather kind of in between.Another "oddity"that we have trouble adjusting to is the self leveling turntable.Normal truckie routine is "get it up there and we'll get up there".Compartments.American truckies LOVE compartments.And Metz has come a LONG way from their introduction here in that regard.The two big differences I see are the water delivery and the ladder itself.Compared to the huge T/L's we currently produce,the Metz ladder is slightly smaller and the waterway is smaller.A majority of today's T/L's have two monitors and a massive waterway.But, here again,the Metz isn't a TL, it's a aerial ladder that happens to have a rescue basket on the end.Now let's see you take your AMERICAN TL basket off with two guys on the fireground.It would be fun to watch.And you're 100% on target,Metz doesn't need the US market.But they are VERY interested in it and are adapting to fit our unique needs while remaining true to their proven heritage.I wasn't aware how long they had been building aerial devices until I did a little research.Goes back a long time. T.C.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
          But, here again,the Metz isn't a TL, it's a aerial ladder that happens to have a rescue basket on the end.Now let's see you take your AMERICAN TL basket off with two guys on the fireground.It would be fun to watch.
          Why would one need to do this? That is my point on why the Metz does lots of things but few as well as their American counterparts. They have a "rescue basket" that will carry 2 gallons of milk, a loaf of bread and some canned goods. The introduction of a larger basket will certainly help. If you're making a single conscious person rescue the basket might work, but how about manuevering an uncouncious victim out an upper floor window? Nevermind multiple victims. So you take the "rescue basket off. What do you have now? A very narrow fly section further complicated by the waterway. And as far as continuous rescue, where do the victims exit to?

          So my overall impression is that the Metz is a hybrid that attempts to be the do everything aerial. The problem is how well it does some things.

          Comment


          • #20
            Well why don't you run that grocery cart into my side window here,I'm getting a bit parched.Personally,I wouldn't take the basket off but it's kinda neat that you can that easily.You underestimate the capabilities somewhat,with the included stokes rack you can handily remove your injured patient.Same basket capacity as your ALF? Hehe,NO! But I can put the rig in places your ALF couldn't wiggle.Like everything in our business there is no perfect system.If there was,we'd all be driving the same rigs.Must be at the office today,Eh? Glen and I still gotta get up and see your new toy,T.C.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
              But I can put the rig in places your ALF couldn't wiggle.Like everything in our business there is no perfect system.If there was,we'd all be driving the same rigs.Must be at the office today,Eh? Glen and I still gotta get up and see your new toy,T.C.
              No doubt that the Metz will go many places more than nearly any other 100ft. aerial on the market, nevermind the towers. I'd love to have one in our area as a second or third due to get to the rear of a few places or out in the "rural" district. You guys should defineately make the trip up, just don't come next week as it'll be in Hooksett having a few modifications/corrections made. And no we're not unhappy, just new truck bugs and the like. We've had great dealings with our dealer and a few of our contacts at ALF.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Halligan84 View Post
                According to the Seagrave website the jack spread is 249" for the 95 and 235 for the 75. Unless they did a major rework of that boom the 95' does not touch the ground anywhere close to 34' from the rig.
                The newer 95' Aerialscopes have there main boom hydraulic lift cylinders mounted under the main section. Where as the older models have there lift cylinders side mounted, the 95' tower from " Progress Pa, " has the new system !...

                Comment


                • #23
                  Yesterday I was handed the brochure on the new Metz that is coming out. It looks like they did an awesome job in making the basket (bucket or what not) much bigger. If I remember correctly it is almost as wide as the cab. The egress in and out will be second to none.
                  This space for rent

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by KyleWickman View Post
                    Yesterday I was handed the brochure on the new Metz that is coming out. It looks like they did an awesome job in making the basket (bucket or what not) much bigger. If I remember correctly it is almost as wide as the cab. The egress in and out will be second to none.
                    Will your department be replacing the scope anytime soon? I have pictures of that from many years ago at the memorial day parades long before I was in the service. I used to live up there.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I would bet that this will be the last memorial parade for it.
                      This space for rent

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by KyleWickman View Post
                        I would bet that this will be the last memorial parade for it.
                        Did your department ever demo the " Perth Amboy FD " E-One 95' midmount tower ladder. And what year & model Aerialscope do you have in service ?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Yes we did. While it was here with some great guys from PAFD and the E-One salesman a stucture fire came in. PAFD's truck 2 ended up as the 1st due truck. It was pretty funny. It must of been any salesman dream.

                          The scope is a 1981 75'
                          This space for rent

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by KyleWickman View Post
                            Yes we did. While it was here with some great guys from PAFD and the E-One salesman a stucture fire came in. PAFD's truck 2 ended up as the 1st due truck. It was pretty funny. It must of been any salesman dream.

                            The scope is a 1981 75'
                            Did your department ever look into having your Mack Scope rebuilt/rechassis by " Seagrave or Pierce " or are you looking for a quint aerial platform ?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Yes, we did. For many reason that did not fall under the options. Money wise and length of service was an issue. There will not be a pump on any thing that we get.
                              This space for rent

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                To: KyleWickman

                                Originally posted by KyleWickman View Post
                                Yes, we did. For many reason that did not fall under the options. Money wise and length of service was an issue. There will not be a pump on any thing that we get.
                                The ( Raritan, N.J. ) fire department is having there Mack Aerialscope Rechassis/Rebuilt by Seagrave it is do back in New Jersey some time at the end of Feb.I am sure that they will get at least " 25 years of service " out of there new rig. The price tag is in the $ 750,000 range. They have a blue print of the Scope on the Seagrave web site !...

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X