X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlitzfireSolo
    replied
    Bones,

I don't have any specific stats - I have to doubt that anybody does. If anybody is taking it seriously enough to keep track of the stats, they would have secured their hose by now. All I know is that, while it doesn't happen every day, it does happen regularly enough that it is a known problem throughout the fire service and we are ignorant (dare I say negligent - though I hate the legal game) if we don't address it. I also know that several highly respected veteran firefighters and officers have stepped in on this subject in the past and agree with that point of view.

I probably came off a bit harsh in my last post, but this is a very serious issue to me - and attitudes like SCtrucky's are what allowed a 10 year-old girl to get killed. I'm not saying that SCtrucky has personally killed anybody, but it's his lackadaisical attitude that we all know in far too many firefighters that literally kills innocent people.
    Last edited by BlitzfireSolo; 01-16-2007, 11:05 PM. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

• Iluv4201
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiefSquirrel View Post
    It's an NFPA requirement, althought I don't know the particular code and section number.

We took delivery of an apparatus almost a year ago and we had to deal with change orders due to NFPA issuing some sort of emergency addendum to their code. Apparently it went into effect immediately and the apparatus manufacturer wouldn't deliver a non-NFPA compliant apparatus.
    So it has been a NFPA requirement for about a year now.

Anyone know the exact wording or code section number?
    Maybe I'm not famillar with other parts of the country, but I am a little confused with your post. Are you spec's including hose and nozzles? The design groups I have been privy to have always supplied their own. I am with a non-NFPA department now, but have been with pro-NFPA departments since and have not seen pre-connect tethers. Can someone post some pics showing their answers to 1901?

iluv4201

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    BlitzFireSolo, just curious. Do you (or anyone else) have any stats on how common an occurrence this hose coming off the engine is? I know in my area, I can remember 2 times in 24 years. Both times due to bad hose repacking.

Leave a comment:

• BlitzfireSolo
    replied
    SCtrucky, what in GOD's name is the matter with you?

I happen to disagree with a lot of NFPA standards, think that many should be optional, and think that many of them make the problems worse than they originally were.

HOWEVER, this is a requirement that is 100% valid and should have been a requirement years ago. Do you remember the poor 10 year old girl from PA that was killed while innocently playing in her front yard? Do you think it is a good idea to keep up our ignorance and kill a few more before we do something about it? Is that your attitude as a firefighter?

Let's respect those that we have killed and do something to prevent another needless death.

Leave a comment:

• SCtrucky
    replied
    to heck with the nfpa

Leave a comment:

• ChiefDog
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiefSquirrel View Post
    It's an NFPA requirement, althought I don't know the particular code and section number.

We took delivery of an apparatus almost a year ago and we had to deal with change orders due to NFPA issuing some sort of emergency addendum to their code. Apparently it went into effect immediately and the apparatus manufacturer wouldn't deliver a non-NFPA compliant apparatus.

NFPA 1901. The emergency addendum was effective January 2006.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefSquirrel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• orangebuster
    started a topic Secured Hosebed

Secured Hosebed

I had a chief from a mutual-aid company ask me the other day if there was or is going to be any law on pre-connect hose beds having to be secured by webbing or whatever.

The last I had heard was that some companies up in the Pittsburgh area were going to these ideas due to the accident that happened in that area a couple of years ago, but I was not certain on any other mandates.

Is there a policy in place at this time or is there going to be in the future? You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks.

STILL DOING IT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X