Your New Apparatus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your New Apparatus

I am currently on the committee to purchase a engine. If you could, tell me some of the options or innovations that are on your new apparatus and how they are working out for your dept.Also tell me some of the things that are not working out or those things that you would never get on a fire truck again??

You should look into getting a pto driven hydraulic generator. Our last two rigs have had these and rthey are nice!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

LED compartment lighting. It's awesome. Fully lit compartments with no shadows with a life expectancy 10 times that of the old halogen bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by firemanaaron View Post
        I am currently on the committee to purchase a engine. If you could, tell me some of the options or innovations that are on your new apparatus and how they are working out for your dept.Also tell me some of the things that are not working out or those things that you would never get on a fire truck again??
        Extending on CaptainGonzo's suggestion for a hydraulic gen set-

If you are able, set up your rear compartment like this: A full-width (also known as a "through") compartment, with a roll-up door at the rear/tailstep/tailboard. Even if you go with standard hinged doors on the rest of the truck, go with a roll-up on the back. Doesnt get in the way of lines coming off the back, or interfere with guys having to climb up top. Then, put a 200' cord reel dead center of the compartment- that way you pull it, and it can feed to either side of the truck.

A Through compartment is handy, as you can also store hooks (hung from the ceiling of the compartment in 3" PVC home made tube-holders)

And dont forget two scene lights on the back of the cab, on manually-raised telecopic poles.

Paint it red, and dont forget the Q2b.

Shoot me your email and I will send you a set of specs for our new piece (see the thread titled "TOYNE WINS."
        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

FWDbuff if you would send those specs that would be great. My email is [email protected]

Thanks

Comment

The one thing (besides the Q) that we would not order another engine without is the CAFs system!

Comment

One of the best things on our new pumper is the 6" front suction & trash line, on a wash down or car fire you can pull a line off the front bumper and stay out of the roadway from passing traffic.Our 2005 KME pumper posted below!..
              Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 03-04-2007, 07:32 PM.

Comment

light tower

I would spare no expence to have scene lighting. Just because some of use were born in the dark, doesnt mean we have to work in the dark. Our 2006 Crimson has a 25kw hydraulic gen. this unit runs a wilburt light tower and browel light as well as the truck mounted 12 volt scene light.
                Attached Files
                YOU ONLY NEED TO BE STUPID ONCE TO BE DEAD FOREVER!

Comment

One thing i wouldnt spec on a new engine is another hydraulic ladder rack i hate the one we have
                  engine 163 to command .. tell engine 165 we got it they can take up and return

engine163 to county fire SEND ME EVERYTHING

Comment

Originally posted by eng163 View Post
                    One thing i wouldnt spec on a new engine is another hydraulic ladder rack i hate the one we have
                    WHY? wrong color, to slow, broken???????
                    YOU ONLY NEED TO BE STUPID ONCE TO BE DEAD FOREVER!

Comment

Don't think we will go without roll-up doors, even though you lose a little bit of compartment space at the top, they are a real nice option. also a front bumper trash line, nice for the little things rather than stretching 150'- 250' of speedlay. If you are a rural dept. I would go with atleast a 1500 gpm pump for tanker(tender) filling if need be. also wouldn't put ladder's up high if it can be avoided, as our's is up on one side of the hose bed, and you have to be a giant to get them.

Comment

firemanaaron...

In the past year my volly FD bought a new rescue pumper and I feel we did some very innovative things. I hesitate to mention them since now I am a sales person for that company and I don;t want it to seem like an ad. If you are interested let me know and I can tell you what we did here or in an e-mail. I promise no sales pitch...unless you want one...lol

FyredUp
                        Crazy, but that's how it goes
                        Millions of people living as foes
                        Maybe it's not too late
                        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Intakes/Discharges: We put them all on the Officer side. Leaves the pump panel (If side mount) totally free of lines to trip over and hose to come loose and strike your operator.

Floodlighting: Use the space above the windshield for a mounted floodlight forward facing, preferably 2. This is often the most "under illuminated" area on the rig.

PTO Generator: Totally agree.

CAFS: Not another rig without it.

Extrication Equipment 1: Put the tools and hoses in the front bumper. Use the real estate instead of wasting it. If it is designed carefully you can still put a trash line in the bumper as well.

Extrication Equipment 2: If your carrying it on this rig, think about an electric power plant. If you have a PTO generator you have the power for the tools with a quieter operation without worrying about if it will start.

Chevrons: Maximize the visibility of the rig by putting chevrons on the rear. We put them on the back and front. Some may think it looks silly, but it may save your personnel's lives or the rig from getting hit.

Light Tower: Almost a standard nowadays. Be able to light up what needs to be lit up.

Intercom System: Enable the crew to be able to communicate and the Officer give instructions while on the way and not when you get there and the crew is looking at the scene and not giving 100% attention. Also allows multiple sets of ears to hear what is going on at the scene and begin that mental size-up. Also preserves their hearing which is often an afterthought.

Cab Storage: A lot of departments use it for EMS, and that is one way to do it. We shortened it and use it for a forcible entry compartment. It meets NFPA and puts the tools point of use when the crew is exiting the rig.

Cameras: Back-up camera is a must. And it doesn't cost much more to add them for blind spot coverage as well. The cost will pay for itself when they help avoid the 1st accident.

Aluminum Wheels: Increases crew pride, encourages better care of the rig and tools but also increases brake longevity with less brake fade on runs by offering greater heat disapation.

Pull Out Trays: So many rigs being speced without them. Save your guys backs and make things easier to reach and put up.

Just some thoughts.
                          Last edited by STATION2; 01-14-2007, 02:12 AM.
                          Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by captaincvfd View Post
                            The one thing (besides the Q) that we would not order another engine without is the CAFs system!
                            Amen to the CAF's. Also Non painted roll up doors. LED Lighting.

Comment

Thoughts...

1. Through the tank storage for ladders. Keeps them low, and ice free. Put
                              the pike poles in here too.

2. CAFS.

3. Through the tank storage for suction. Keeps them low, and ice free.

4. CAFS.

5. LED compartment lighting as has been said. Sort of like light rope next
                              to the doors on the inside. This is GREAT.

6. CAFS.

7. LED lighting in the hosebed. Take the same lights that you use in the
                              compartments, and run them down the inside top of the hosebed. Looks
                              FANTASTIC for operations, and they look kewl.

8. CAFS.

9. As has been said, LOTS OF SCENE LIGHTING.

10. Did I mention CAFS?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X