Pierce vs. Ferrara

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pierce vs. Ferrara

My fire company is dead-locked between bids received from ferrara & pierce. The Ferrara Igniter vs The Pierce Contender. Pricing give or take is neck & neck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wow, open for almost 4 hours and now flag waving or bashing yet? Oh wait, the kids are still in school...

If you haven't climbed all over or driven either truck yet then you definitely need to do that. If you have then you want to make sure that all line items are similar so you're as close to comparing apples to apples.

Motors the same size? Tranny matched to motor? Lighting packages the same? Generator type and size, scene lighting, etc, etc? Availability and location of service? All trucks need that at some point so if one has local service and the other doesn't then that's a lot of money to lay out to have the truck out for an week just because it has to get driven to either LA or WI to get some basic stuff fixed.
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Exceptions

Compare the exceptions from each bid also! Along with what BC79er said.

Rembember the lowest price is not always the best, along with that the highest price is not always the best.

Comment

Couple things to check on is to make sure the Engine will come with a good undercoating, I know Pierce didn't, but they did put out a service bulletin on it, and also beside matching the engine and tranny, if you know what engine is in it talk to some about getting a computer generated performance of the different rearends, Our engine has a Detroit in it, and when we talked toa Detroit rep. and got this info, the rearend that the manufacture wanted to put in our engine, had a poor performance, and they gave us 2 other options that would be more suitable for our fire engine. As for which engine would be better, I think it comes down to ease of service and if you can get what you want spec'd. the way you want it.

Comment

Both companies build decent rigs. Occasionally, all builders will put out a lemon. Once the rig is in your station, your friendly saleperson will most likely never be seen again. Look 10-15 years down the road. Do the dealers have service centers less than 50 miles from you? Do they have mobile service? What type of reputation does their service center have?
          I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by cressonafireman
            My fire company is dead-locked between bids received from ferrara & pierce. The Ferrara Igniter vs The Pierce Contender. Pricing give or take is neck & neck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
            Both of these apparatus are a good value, try calling or stop by any fire departments that have apparatus in service and find out there likes & dislikes. The most important thing is the " SERVICE AFTER THE SALE ", if you purchases from Pierce fire apparatus there dealer ( GLICK ) is very good !

Comment

It has been said already but once again,ALWAYS take into consideration where the local service center is. This is crucial during the warranty period because with all of the new electronics and such, these rigs come with tons of gremlins. That goes for all manufacturers.
              Too many people have gone low bid and then realized they could have saved a lot of headache by going with the higher bid, but better service. Also go to each service center and talk to the staff.

Comment

service

Originally posted by truckmonkey42
                It has been said already but once again,ALWAYS take into consideration where the local service center is. This is crucial during the warranty period because with all of the new electronics and such, these rigs come with tons of gremlins. That goes for all manufacturers.
                Too many people have gone low bid and then realized they could have saved a lot of headache by going with the higher bid, but better service. Also go to each service center and talk to the staff.
                Service is a big concern of ours also. Pierce service out of Lancaster & Ferrara service out of Scranton. Either way is abot 50-75 miles away. Both offer in house (of coourse) & the both offer mobile service such as preventative maintenance.

Comment

Cressonafireman,
                  perhaps you should contact Hazle Township Fire Department about Ferarra. They had one in service until a few years ago. As far as Pierce, there are several throughout Schuylkill County but I doubt any of them are Contenders. I know Columbia of Shenandoah has a Contender on order.

The recommendation posted earlier about maintenance is very important. Keep in mind that after the initial warranty expires, you will pay for all of those in house visits for maintenance and repairs. We used to deal with an equipment dealer and his meter started running for service calls as soon as he left his facility which was about 90 miles away. So you may end up paying for 3 hours driving time (to and from) along with whatever maintenance/ parts/repairs you have scheduled. Try to get the terms in black and white from each of the bidders so you aren't surprised with a huge bill later.

Good luck in whatever your company chooses.

Comment

Everything else being equal - I would bet the Ferrara's cab is roomier than the Pierce Contender's, but I don't know for sure. I would look into it if this is important to you.

What's the current fleet? Sometimes it makes sense to have a barn full fo one make if possible. Loyalty goes a long way to getting things taken care of, so if you've bought Pierce for the last few rigs, it may be worthwhile to look their way.

You've posed a tough one to answer...
                    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

E5 The HARD Stuff

Ferrara Igniter WAY more room in officer's seat than in our Pierce's. call it sack room. Field of view is great. No one at our station wants anything else.

Comment

If all else is equal then the biggest issue is the service after the sale.

After that, my opinion would be to buy a Ferrara over the Pierce. Ferrara by far has a better engineered cab and that is where the most important items on any rig are, the crew.

We have numerous Igniters in service in my career department, with more on the way, and they have held up very well to heavy use on a daily basis.
                        Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Comment

I'll second that...

"After that, my opinion would be to buy a Ferrara over the Pierce. Ferrara by far has a better engineered cab and that is where the most important items on any rig are, the crew."

Both of these mfg's. produce nice units. But from personal experience I must agree, the Igniter cab and chassis is by far a much better design and built unit. Actually it is a Ferrara Inferno without some of the frills (?)

You do understand the concept of the Pierce Contender and how it relates to the customer (industry) ?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X