Cab INtercoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab INtercoms

We are looking at getting our first Custom Cab chassis and we are looking at putting in an intercom system. Being that we have never had or used an intercom systems in our trucks. What kind do you use, do u like them, do they work well?

We would like all headsets to be able to hear radio traffic but only two capable to access radios, but also to have communication in the cab amongst each other.

Thank YOu

We use firecom with no problems at all.........

Comment

We use David Clark. No Problems!

All the head set manufacturers can do what you where asking for.

Try them all and pick the one you think is best.

Comment

Only our heavy rescue has an intercom and it is a firecom. We don't use it, however. I think the only time it is used if we are showing the new guys the trucks.

Comment

we've got them in the truck and engine. Love them, except for the drivers headset. they decided to use a semi open ear on the left side so they could talk at the pump panel without lifting the headset up. Other than that, they're great. You can actually listen to the radio sizeups on the way in, and coordinate things between the crew without screaming. Just remember to take them off before you get out.

Comment

Have the David and Clarks and love them. We also have the one with the slots for the driver. I could take that either way. The best part about it is you never hear "what did he say" or "what did you say." You can just talk completely normal with out yelling. A+
            This space for rent

Comment

We have Firecom at the VFD and use David Clark at work. Personally, I lean towards the David Clark systems. They seem to be a little bit more heavy duty and resistant to all the things that seems to happen in the cab of a fire engine while responding to a call.

Either way, you'll be happy with the system you get!
              Career Fire Captain
              Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Hey guys, thanks so far for the information. Greatly appreciated.

Comment

Here's some samples of what you're going to be looking at for Firecom:

4 person, 5 position configuration.
                  http://www.firecom.com/2004/products...mates/2047.php

6 person 7 position configuration.
                  http://www.firecom.com/2004/products...mates/2695.php

Those are both the 3000 series intercoms, with the 3010 series, the price goes up about $300.

Comment

Our older rigs are loud as hell inside and we wish they had intercoms.

Our new heavy rescue was spec'd with an intercom for this reason. Waste of money. The inside of the cab is so quite by design, the intercom isn't needed and nobody uses it.
                    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

We had firecoms, so many broke we stopped using them.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnyv
                        We had firecoms, so many broke we stopped using them.

Ok...

Lets get a bit more specifc. What parts broke? Who installed the system?

Comment

I do not know who installed them or who the dealer was. It's been about 10 years.
                          First off, the install was done very poorly. We had canopy cab apparatus at the time, the headsets in back got wet and were ruined. These older apparatus also had been bought as stock/minimum bid, and the electrical systems were overloaded.The plugs were put in places that caused the cords to stretch and pull on the headset while you were wearing them, which stressed the plugs/connections and made them uncomfortable. There was constant static from the bad connections. The wiring was done poorly, and we were constantly chasing bad connectors and loose wires. The push to talk buttons broke. The boom mikes got sloppy and wouldn't stay in position.

That's what I can remember. I hope that answers it.

Comment

That is a testiment to the installer, not the product.
                            Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Thats where I was headed. Pretty much sounds like problems from the installation, NOT the product, so I have an issue the statement.

Perhaps if the statement had been "We had firecoms, but the install
                              was so bad that we gave up on the system"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X