roll-up vs. pull-out doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roll-up vs. pull-out doors

Any comments on suppliers of roll-up doors? What are the advantages?

More specifically, I am conducting an analysis on how fire chiefs typically make the decision on whether to install roll-up doors? Any comments on R-O-M Corporation? They seem to be the main manufacturer of roll-up doors. How is their product? Are there any others on the market? Service issues?

Comment

The one advntage I like is that you don't have hinged doors hanging out into traffic. Besides that I just like the way they look.

Mike

Comment

Particular apparatus manufacturers will generally stick with a particular brand of door for thier apparatus. Pierce uses Gortite, KME uses ROM, etc. However, most companies will use whatever brand door you want on your rig.

There are the cheaper doors like Amdor, mid-grade like POK, and then the top of the line including ROM and Gortite. The jury still seems to be out on the Dovers since they were purchased from their original overseas parent company.

Our volly department currently has Dover and Gortite on our rigs. We're spec'ing ROM on our next one based on positive feedback we've gotten from other departments, and thier ease of use.
        Career Fire Captain
        Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Our new one (see Toyne Wins, below) will have swing doors in all positions except the back step door. That will be a roll up. We didn't specify a brand, so it will be whoever Toyne uses as standard. Our Special Service truck is the same, swing except the back. It's an R-O-M. Several years ago I converted the back step door on our Duplex/Quality from a swing door to a roll up. They make good sense at that position. Based on experience with the Special Service, I bought a kit directly from R-O-M. It works O.K. but it's a little rough coming down. I know now that it's because I didn't follow their (very thorough) instructions to the letter.

So on the balance, I can give R-O-M good marks. I've operated other doors that were also very good.

One of our reasons for sticking with swing doors in the other positions is that they're great places to hang tools.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Comment

Our Truck Committee in 1997 decided to use ROM doors when they purchased 8 "Rescue Pumpers". I'm not sure why they choose roll-up doors, other than the fact that they(the doors) can't be ripped off the truck. But since then we have used nothing but ROM doors (15 rescue pumpers). One disadvantage to using the roll up doors is that you lose about 9"-12" of compartment space at the top. One of ladder trucks has painted roll up doors, I recommend not doing that, because when the paint gets scratched the door looks like crap.
            Last edited by ecfr1978; 12-04-2006, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks! Very helpful comments. I am wondering why Pierce only seems to specify Gortite and not R-O-M? From everyone I've interviewed, R-O-M is the market leader with the best product out there and the best service.

Comment

Installation

I think there must be a lot to do with the way the doors are installed or maintained as well. I have operated AMDORs, ROM doors, Dover Doors, POK doors and Gortite doors. Sometimes the doors work great, sometimes they don't work well at all.

Some doors seem like they are "sprung" for lack of a better word. When you open them, they feel like they just fly up! Other times, you have to literally use all your might to get them up (and I'm talking about new doors - not just used dirty ones).

Can these doors be installed in different ways?????

I like the way AMDOR makes a little cut out in the push down ledge on their doors, so that you can wrap your hand around the lift bar...nobody else seems to do that for some reason.

I have to agree with other posters on the R-O-M preference though...they just seem best all around.

Comment

Originally posted by firemanmikey
                  The one advntage I like is that you don't have hinged doors hanging out into traffic. Besides that I just like the way they look.

Mike
                  Also you wont have to worry about someone ripping the doors off pulling out of the station, because that gets expensive! BE SAFE

Comment

Our newer 2005 Kme engine came with ROM doors , we like the roll ups better for car & truck fires on major highways so they don't get torn off by a passing vehicle. We also have short doors on the cab for easy exiting near guard rails!...
                    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 12-04-2006, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I'm 85% positive that you can get a Pierce with R-O-M doors. Don't kill me if I'm wrong.
                      ------------------------------------
                      These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
                      ------------------------------------

Comment

We have ROM roll ups on two trucks, a CAFS rescue pumper & a heavy rescue. They work well and are easy to maintain. The newer model has the incorporated rope lighting in the tracks which provides even lighting throughout the compartments. When the doors are installed and adjusted properly it takes little to no effort to open or close them.
                        The way to get a specific brand of door installed in a new piece of equipment is to write it in your specs for the apparatus.

Comment

For the most part, if you INSIST on a specific roll-up door manufacturer, I don't think most builders will flat out refuse. You'll most likely pay dearly for it, because typically for one reason or another that builder likes the brand they use the most, have the least amount of trouble with it, and they don't have to fuss with the door maker if something isn't right.

If you look at General Safety's body, with the way the roll-up actually runs a track on the outer edge of the compartment - I don't know if you could change roll-up manufacturers without causing all kinds of headaches. So in that case, perhaps I couldn't pick or try to use a different brand than stock. I'll have to check on that.

I'll bid standard unless you tell me what you absopositively must have for roll-ups.
                          "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Originally posted by dday05
                            Also you wont have to worry about someone ripping the doors off pulling out of the station, because that gets expensive! BE SAFE
                            Man doesn't that bring back so many memories!! not once, not twice, but three times!!

if you do decide to go with hinged door's make sure the the gas shocks are mounted so as soon as you turn the handle to open them they don't come right open, especially the one's that flip up, as I think that was the problem with ours a few times that with the body flexing it would pop them off he latches and up they would go, so make sure that you have to pull them open a little before the gas shocks take over.

Comment

We specced ROM doors on our new tower. First roll-ups in our dept. The reasons were: they don't stick out into traffic, you as a FF are not backing as far out into traffic when retrieving things. The rollout trays for heavy equipment are now open on the sides when pulled out making it much easier to grab heavy items. We replaced door parts alot! Hinges are paint chip spots, closure/opening mechanisms break or wear out, handle sets wear out. All in all they're a pain so we thought we'd try ROM. Can't be much worse maintenance wise and the benefits seem pretty good!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X