Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-connect question

Check out this setup. http://www.nefirenews.org/ne/BelmontNHE3.jpg

Does anyone run a setup like this. Why put them here instead of the panel? Can you do this on custom instead of EMS type compartment. Seems intersting, but I see know advantages...

We don't run anything like this o my department, but Central States has built quite a few of these. The crew cab is a body builder add-on, and I would guess the customer opted to put the preconnects here since it was wasted space under the rear bench, didn't add to the length of the truck to put them there and kept them fairly low.

A number of builders used to offer this option on the Ford C chassis that they would convert over to a canopy style cab.

I suppose if you absolutely, positively had to have it - you could probably talk a builder into doing something like this on a custom cab. I suspect the cost of doing so would prohibit anyone from doing it though. Keep in mind on a tilt-cab apparatus you would have a whole slew of issues to deal with if you did this.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Seems like it would be kind of a pain to pack, and a speedlay wouldnt waste much space I would think.

Comment

Mostly packed using removeable trays, which are slid into place after loading and the line is connected.

We use trays on our rigs, they get loaded on the ground, and in the winter we have pre-loaded trays back at the station to get the rig back in service quicker...
        "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Can certainly see an advantage to this in colder climates as it keeps the hose dry and less likely to freeze. Probably also protects the hose from all that road grime.
          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

The only advantage I can see to placing the preconnect beds there is that they are lower and perhaps easier to unload.

LA...I read your post and it makes me wonder where you were coming from? As far as keeping the hose dry and clean...we have metal hose bed covers and flaps on our preconnect beds and they stay dray and clean. Even the front bumper preconnects. Did I miss something in your post?

FyredUp
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

A local dept. has a truck that looks the exact same. I've never had the chance to get up close and look at the truck, but it does look very interesting.
              ------------------------------------
              These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp
                The only advantage I can see to placing the preconnect beds there is that they are lower and perhaps easier to unload.

LA...I read your post and it makes me wonder where you were coming from? As far as keeping the hose dry and clean...we have metal hose bed covers and flaps on our preconnect beds and they stay dray and clean. Even the front bumper preconnects. Did I miss something in your post?

FyredUp
                That's sort of what I was thinking--if you want the hoses clean, throw some vinyl in front of the speedlays that I assume would be there otherwise. I could see the heat part however, though I suppose if you wanted to you could also put a small heater in the pump compartment to heat the hose. An altogether interseting set up--including wat looks like a massive bumper reel below.

Comment

We have a CustomFire that has the speedlays under the rear bench seat. The seat comes off to repack the hose. As said earlier, it's good use of otherwise wasted space.

Comment

Neighboring town has a setup similar to that on their Ford/Central States Pumper/Tender

Comment

Originally posted by k1500chevy97
                      Neighboring town has a setup similar to that on their Ford/Central States Pumper/Tender

Is Gary Puckett the Fire Chief?
                      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
                        Is Gary Puckett the Fire Chief?

LMAO...Problem is Capt, Im not sure most here are old enough to know who that is.

Anyway, thats a hell of an idea...Why not do it on a custome? I know our Pierces with the 10" extended cab have little compartments under the rear seats. Why not a speedlay?
                        Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
                        RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
                        Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Here is another example that I found of a truck like this:

1993 Central States/Freightliner

These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by RFRDxplorer
                            Here is another example that I found of a truck like this:

1993 Central States/Freightliner

I see that that that one also has 2 crosslasys--this is a good idea too (The combination) becuase it probably elminates their need for rear preconnects--which makes a smaller hosebed which means a bigger tank.

Comment

Originally posted by RFRDxplorer
                              A local dept. has a truck that looks the exact same. I've never had the chance to get up close and look at the truck, but it does look very interesting.
                              Found a pic of it..........

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X