Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch22
    replied
    chiefengineer--I think I'll add that to my list as well. I was planning on taking some tricks I learned out of another publication's article on rural water supply and measuring how much water we can dump in 1 min, then 1:15, etc. Just to see what was the most efficient amount of time to allow us to dump for the holy ISO guys. While I'm playing with the scales I'll do what you're suggesting!

Leave a comment:

• chiefengineer11
    replied
    Originally posted by Catch22
    Never thought of the weight thing. Just the kind of thing I'm looking for, thanks!
    I know I've mentioned this one before, but it's important and bears repeating. Knowing the weight is important for a number of reasons. First is so that you don't exceed the capabilties of the various components. That's both for safety reasons and to prevent possibly voiding warranties.

As 801 points out, knowing that you are getting all of the water in that you spec'd. Carry that thought one more step. Weigh the truck before putting water in, then fill it and weigh it. Now you know how much the tank holds. Then, empty the tank by the normal means, and weigh it one more time. Now you should know that you really have got that much usable water and not some lesser amount plus some liquid ballast. In other words, make sure that all of the water you put in actually comes out.

Another reason for knowing your weights, axle by axle, one that not everyone is aware of but everyone should be - setting tire pressures. The tire manufacturers publish load vs. pressure charts. By adhering to them you maximize tire life as well as putting the biggest footprint on the road surface. Actually, the charts are developed by a trade association in conjunction with the tire makers, so it shouldn't matter whose chart you use, they're all the same.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    Originally posted by npfd801
    It will have been UL tested, so there's no reason to doubt that the pump will perform to capacity, but you can also do a similar test with a full electrical load and pump the rig at capacity to verify that it works. You can also make sure that is passes the required tests per NFPA for acceleration, braking, etc. if you want to.

Weigh the thing empty and full to make sure how much water it holds. If you ordered a 2000 gallon tanker and it only has 15,000 pounds of weight on it when you load it, something is wrong.
    I'm not thinking a full pump test, just run it through it's cycle and all. I know a department near me that got a new truck and pumped it from hydrant and draft when the got it, never from the tank. First time they had a fire and pumped it through the tank, it didn't pump for crap. Ended up that there was a rag stuffed in the tank-to-pump line that never got taken out. Hence my wanting to pump it some and check the eletronic system (it's got the INControl system on it, never actually messed with it before).

Never thought of the weight thing. Just the kind of thing I'm looking for, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• npfd801
    replied
    Acceptance testing can be whatever you determine it to be, as long as it doesn't go beyond what you've listed as expectations in the spec. Obviously, if you expect 0-60 in 10 seconds, and you didn't ask for it - you aren't getting it. (Extreme example, I know.)

It will have been UL tested, so there's no reason to doubt that the pump will perform to capacity, but you can also do a similar test with a full electrical load and pump the rig at capacity to verify that it works. You can also make sure that is passes the required tests per NFPA for acceleration, braking, etc. if you want to.

Weigh the thing empty and full to make sure how much water it holds. If you ordered a 2000 gallon tanker and it only has 15,000 pounds of weight on it when you load it, something is wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    started a topic Acceptance Testing

Acceptance Testing

Didn't want to highjack the other thread, but curious what everyone else does or recommends for an acceptance test. Our new truck (pumper/tanker) comes in on Friday and want to make sure and put it through it's ropes a bit to make sure everything's good to go.

What I've already identified:
    • Take it for a pin with various turns and hills
    • A good weekly-type check of all the lights, sirens, etc.
    • Pump the truck (from hydrant, tank, and draft.
    • Use the dump valve
    • Top to bottom look at all the details with the specs.

Anything you guys think I'm missing?

I'm also curious about the venting for the dump valve. Will it vent OK with the hosebed cover over it? It seems to me like that would restrict the air movement. I really don't want to damage the tank by doing something that could have been prevented.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X