1st Pierce/Aerialscope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Pierce/Aerialscope

The first Pierce Aerialscope remount was for the ( Smithfield ) VFD Huntington,Pa . It was built on a 2001 Pierce Arrow fixed cab & chassis with a single rear axle. This apparatus was a former FDNY 1981 Mack/Baker tower ladder 164 boro of Queens !..
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 03-10-2007, 12:48 PM.

single

that looks a bit big for a single axle. tank and pump?

Comment

I love the PierceScopes. Would've been cool if Pierce bought Aerialscope, but I'm definitely not complaining about Seagrave. Those two run 1-2 in my book.

I wonder how many exactly are out there. I know of Smithfield's, Birdsboro's, Bowie's and Boise's, but I suspect there might be a few more.

Comment

Originally posted by skipatrol8
        No, it's dry. 75' also.

Comment

Originally posted by NewJerseyFFII
          The first Pierce Aerialscope remount was for the ( Smithfield ) VFD Huntington,Pa . It was built on a 2001 Pierce Arrow fixed cab & chassis with a single rear axle. This apparatus was a former FDNY 1981 Mack/Baker tower ladder 164 boro of Queens !..

It that a AERIALSCOPE? Looks like it could be or what Pierce is building.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnee
            It that a AERIALSCOPE? Looks like it could be or what Pierce is building.
            Yes, it is an Aerialscope refurbed and remounted on a Pierce chassis/body. There are a few of them out there, read my other post.

Comment

Originally posted by skipatrol8

That's what I thought.
              ------------------------------------
              These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
              ------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chauffer6
                I love the PierceScopes. Would've been cool if Pierce bought Aerialscope, but I'm definitely not complaining about Seagrave. Those two run 1-2 in my book.

I wonder how many exactly are out there. I know of Smithfield's, Birdsboro's, Bowie's and Boise's, but I suspect there might be a few more.
                I know that Pierce has rebuilt 5 or 6 more Aerialscopes on Mack CF chassis , some are from Long Island & Pa !... The " FDNY " sould look into having Pierce remount there old scopes on new Pierce Arrow XT chassis.

Comment

I know that Pierce has rebuilt 5 or 6 more Aerialscopes on Mack CF chassis , some are from Long Island & Pa !...
                  I meant on Pierce chassis. There are plenty of Aerialscopes out there on Mack chassis, they're hardly unique no matter who refurbed the body. These current PierceScopes are unique because the entire chassis, drivetrain and body is brand new Pierce, including a full rebuild of the boom and hydraulic system. As a matter of fact, the hydraulic system was fully replaced and updated with new on a few of them.

The " FDNY " sould look into having Pierce remount there old scopes on new Pierce Arrow XT chassis.
                  Why would they look into Pierce when they have Seagrave doing it?

Let's not forget something, one of the only reasons the FDNY went with Pierce for the new R1 is that it was readily available under GSA contract. It is by no means an indication that the FDNY is "going Pierce" at all. They may not even replace the other 4 rescues with Pierce if someone else can match the exact specs (like Ferrara, who have already built HazMat1 and some other special ops units).

Comment

I meant on Pierce chassis. There are plenty of Aerialscopes out there on Mack chassis, they're hardly unique no matter who refurbed the body. These current PierceScopes are unique because the entire chassis, drivetrain and body is brand new Pierce, including a full rebuild of the boom and hydraulic system. As a matter of fact, the hydraulic system was fully replaced and updated with new on a few of them.

Why would they look into Pierce when they have Seagrave doing it?

Let's not forget something, one of the only reasons the FDNY went with Pierce for the new R1 is that it was readily available under GSA contract. It is by no means an indication that the FDNY is "going Pierce" at all. They may not even replace the other 4 rescues with Pierce if someone else can match the exact specs (like Ferrara, who have already built HazMat1 and some other special ops units).
                    If the FDNY had Pierce rebuild/remount there old retired Mack Scopes on new Pierce Arrow chassis for $ 500,000 and only be out of service for 4-5 months compared to building a new " Seagrave " Aerialscope at a cost of $ 850,000- $ 950,000 and wait 12 months for delivery. Other fire departments had total rebuilds/remounts at a cost of $ 424,000 Boise truck 6, Bowie,Md tower 39 $ 480,000, Birdsboro tower 7 $ 550,000 . What is so wrong about getting the job done faster and saving $ 350,000 on each tower ladder apparatus. The picture below is a 2003 Pierce 95' Aerialscope owned by the " Bowie Fire Department ".
                    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 03-04-2007, 07:41 PM.

Comment

If the FDNY had Pierce rebuild/remount there old retired Mack Scopes on new Pierce Arrow chassis for $ 500,000 and only be out of service for 4-5 months compared to building a new " Seagrave " Aerialscope at a cost of $ 850,000- $ 950,000 and wait 12 months for delivery. Other fire departments had total rebuilds/remounts at a cost of $ 424,000 Boise truck 6, Bowie,Md tower 39 $ 480,000, Birdsboro tower 7 $ 550,000 . What is so wrong about getting the job done faster and saving $ 350,000 on each tower ladder apparatus !....
                      Right, but the point you're missing is that Seagrave is also rebuilding/remounting the old Scopes...just the same as Pierce would. So, if you worked in the FDNY shops, what would you prefer seeing...the same Seagrave chassis as the rest of the fleet, or a Pierce chassis that you have none of (R1 is not in service yet and is only one of hundreds of trucks)? The answer is obvious.

Comment

Scopes

Nice prices, but were they old FDNY Scopes. Huge difference in a retired FDNY Scope and one you might find in Bumphuc, Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBaronl32
                          Nice prices, but were they old FDNY Scopes. Huge difference in a retired FDNY Scope and one you might find in Bumphuc, Arizona.
                          Excellant point. While Scope is probably the best suited unit for remount, I think that I'd prefer a lesser used unit vs. remounting an already tires stick. While they're awesome they're not infallible and used is still used. I doubt you'll see NYC buying used or refurbing units any time soon. Emergency purchases around 9/11 don't count.

Comment

Right, but the point you're missing is that Seagrave is also rebuilding/remounting the old Scopes...just the same as Pierce would. So, if you worked in the FDNY shops, what would you prefer seeing...the same Seagrave chassis as the rest of the fleet, or a Pierce chassis that you have none of (R1 is not in service yet and is only one of hundreds of trucks)? The answer is obvious.
                            The " FDNY " at some point may get tired of all the problems with Seagrave apparatus and the down time to repair trucks sitting in a parking lot in East Brunswick,N.J. for months. A " Seagrave " Aerialscope rebuild/remount is only $ 100,000 cheaper than a brand new Seagrave scope, The ( Raritan Boro ) fire department just had one rebuilt/remounted by Seagrave and cost about $ 750,000 with a stainless steel cab & body!....

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X