LACo Bat Chiefs Ride.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ecfr1978
    I heard that Miami-Dade had three engines on order. I noticed the pics that were posted by VanIsleEVT had A2 on the front bumper, I don't want to assume, but I guess that will replace Squirt 2. Just wondering why you guys no longer order from Pierce.
    Yes, the Quint in the photos is the new 'Aerial 2'. The department is shifting toward a ladder/engine concept; the squrts are being phased out. Rosenbauer was the low bidder on the new trucks, so they got the contract. At least thats the politically-correct answer.

And it seems strange for an order of engines to be only three- but who knows. Stranger things have happened. But let me know if you can confirm that.

And to answer the question I keep getting about our truck designation,
    100' tower/ladder is a 'platform'
    75' rear mount is a 'ladder'
    60' & 65' rear mount is a 'aerial'
    50' rear mount is still a 'squrt'

iluv4201

PS- I love the chevrons on the back of the rig, but could someone please put them on right-side up?

Comment

The chevron point is interesting. Do you guys spec them to be oriented that way? The default that I've always seen up there has been the point "up."
      "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Mdfr

I like--very much. Those are very good looking rigs (I for one don't mind lime especially with a greenish tone). Do the "A" rigs take the place of an engine? I like the idea of the short stick--assuming this thing isn't designed for straight truck work. The more master streams the marrier.

Comment

Is this ever getting off topic.

General is building two Engines for Miami after the quints are delivered.

The color.....I have to admit, these are the nicest looking trucks I have ever seen. Who ever came up with the color combo, striping, etc. my hats off to them. Nice job.

Ilove4201,

When specing chevrons, they will usually ask if you want an "A" or "V" pattern. Obviously someone in Miami Dade wanted them that way. We had them done in an "A" .

Comment

Originally posted by VanIsleEVT
            Is this ever getting off topic.

General is building two Engines for Miami after the quints are delivered.
            Are you sure? One of our Training Capts hung out for a bit today and was almost positive the latest engine contract went to Pierce. But that would be interesting.

Originally posted by VanIsleEVT
            Ilove4201,

When specing chevrons, they will usually ask if you want an "A" or "V" pattern. Obviously someone in Miami Dade wanted them that way. We had them done in an "A" .
            It seems that putting them in a 'V' pattern would negate the entire purpose behind the chevron. The downward slope is designed to draw the approaching vehicle away from the apparatus- a 'V' design would do the opposite- much like putting a bulls-eye on the back of the rig.

Comment

Yes I'm sure. Pierce does not have the contract. Let's just say no builder has the contract yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Iluv4201
                It seems that putting them in a 'V' pattern would negate the entire purpose behind the chevron. The downward slope is designed to draw the approaching vehicle away from the apparatus- a 'V' design would do the opposite- much like putting a bulls-eye on the back of the rig.
                Not to take this thread even more off-topic, but the Federal MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices) states that the chevrons are supposed to be in an "A" pattern ... you'll notice that highway repair vehicles and the like use the "A" pattern.
                Career Fire Captain
                Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Iluv4201

Any idea how much the Batt Chiefs vehicle cost.

Does anyone know how much LA paid for their Batt Chiefs vehicle.

Comment

More expensive than a Crown Vic...

Originally posted by ecfr1978
                    Iluv4201

Any idea how much the Batt Chiefs vehicle cost.

Does anyone know how much LA paid for their Batt Chiefs vehicle.
                    I believe the price was right around 77K. And I have no clue on the LA rigs, but I'd guess in that same price range.

Iluv4201

Comment

iluv4201,

I no longer live in Miami, and every time I head down there, or talk to my friends I am simply shocked at how much larger MDFR has become, and is becoming!

Is P21 still the only crewed platform? I recall reserve (cough, parade) platforms at 34 and 8, and they were OOS most of the time. I know 21 doesnt turn a wheel, but that one has gotta be getting old.

It certainly is nice to see MDFR having gone to real aerials after all these years. Last I heard, all the Squrts were getting replaced with Aerials, and the Aerials with Ladders. That still true?

2 will definitely run the hell out of that aerial and see if those strange looking Rosenbauers last.

I know when you'll be getting the rest of your Aerials, in "two weeks".

Comment

Originally posted by catchtwenty2
                        iluv4201,

I no longer live in Miami, and every time I head down there, or talk to my friends I am simply shocked at how much larger MDFR has become, and is becoming!

Is P21 still the only crewed platform? I recall reserve (cough, parade) platforms at 34 and 8, and they were OOS most of the time. I know 21 doesnt turn a wheel, but that one has gotta be getting old.

It certainly is nice to see MDFR having gone to real aerials after all these years. Last I heard, all the Squrts were getting replaced with Aerials, and the Aerials with Ladders. That still true?

2 will definitely run the hell out of that aerial and see if those strange looking Rosenbauers last.

I know when you'll be getting the rest of your Aerials, in "two weeks".
                        Yeah, P-21 is the only staffed Tower... but we're hopefully changing that. I have been talking to a few Training/R&D Capts and we are looking into running 4-man Truck Companies. These would be a special duty apparatus, much like our Haz-Mat and TRT rigs. We feel 10-12 would serve the county well. I'm pushing for Aerialscope replacements for the 1865 Simon-Duplex Antiques we're running now- but thats just me.

The squrts are being replaced with Aerials- 60' Rosenbauer Rear mounts. And all the old 65' Aerials have been replaced with 75' ALF Eagle Ladders, save one- L-16 is our only 75' Rosenbauer. I hear it should be back in service in "Two Weeks".

You're right- A-2 is going to get run into the ground. But thats what 20+ calls a day will do to you.

Iluv4201

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X