LACo Bat Chiefs Ride.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LACo Bat Chiefs Ride.........

In this months FAJ I see they are protyping F450s w/ext cab with a stuby box on it. The article said it would have the same "footprint" as the current suburbans, to make sure they can fit in the stations...........anyone got anymore info ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Haha.. SHORT bus!
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

Reminds me of Miami-Dade's Battalion Chief rides.

And also, Houston FD's 'new' squads.. or as some refer to them "dog catchers." (as they resemble an animal control vehicle)

**Edited to add a pic from MDFR.**
      Attached Files
      Last edited by FTMPTB15; 11-07-2006, 02:11 AM. Reason: add a pic

Comment

Funny Lookin for sure...

But surely practical.
        Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by mcaldwell
          Funny Lookin for sure...

But surely practical.
          Oh yea.. I agree. I think this pic shows how practical they will be: http://www.emergencyrigs.net/viewpho...2742&Size=med_

But I must say... FUNNNNNY looking!
          I don't think they are much shorter than the MDFR rigs, but for some reason, the MDFR rigs look a little more proportional. But hey.. whatever works for them! They sure look like they spec'd out these rigs well. Hope they work out well!!

Comment

well thems is those ...............I think they look pretty fucntional ...........but I loved the short bus comment ......LOL ..............thanks for the info.
            IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
            Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
            ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
            RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
            LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
            I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
            "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
            http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

#1 it's LAFD not LACoFD

#2 The box is a good 2' shorter than the Miami Dade box, and a bit taller, so the proportions are quite different.

#3 Why didn't they just buy a van: http://www.fl-sprinter.com/Pass/wheel.html

Comment

They are interesting little response vehicles, but I am curious...

What is the difference in cost between a suburban, and having an E-450 with a custom built "rescue" box built onto it?

Of course, if it makes operations more efficient, I'm one to say who cares what it costs!

I also have to add...they look like a rebirth of "Squad 51"!
                Last edited by medicmaster; 11-08-2006, 03:09 AM.
                Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

Comment

Why do you need so much storage in your command vehicles? We have an 05 Excursion as command, and i think that is a little big. A near by town uses a Crown Vic. We also have a Heavy rescue and a HAZMAT truck with anything we would ever need.

Comment

Originally posted by skipatrol8
                    What do the Houston units do?
                    The Houston units are "Squads." They run EMS calls (amoung other things). And just so my facts don't get screwed up, this quote is directly from their website:
                    In an effort to minimize the response time to citizen's emergency calls, we implemented a "Squad" program in the 2001. A Squad consists of two paramedics, usually in a suburban or other vehicle, that respond to an incident to administer advanced care. If they are not needed to actually transport the patient, once a BLS unit has arrived, the BLS unit can take the patient to the hospital and the Squad can return to service ready to provide additional care to citizens.
                    In 2001 they ran nearly 215,000 EMS calls. That's JUST EMS. Houston FD operates approximately 15 Squads.

Comment

Originally posted by SBrooks
                      #1 it's LAFD not LACoFD

#2 The box is a good 2' shorter than the Miami Dade box, and a bit taller, so the proportions are quite different.

Yah, when you look at how the bodies are, the LA ones compartments forward and aft of the wheel wells are pretty small, while the Miami one has more of a light rescue style body.

#3 Why didn't they just buy a van: http://www.fl-sprinter.com/Pass/wheel.html
                      I am sure they are just as durable as an F450, but Equipment storage would be a problem, as it would be a pain to have to walk inside to get something everytime--though it would make a better command area. I don't know, I guess if I was BC, I would want to be outside so I could have better visibility of the incident.

What do the Houston units do?

Comment

The back part is most likely built by LA counties shop it they probably got a gross of f-450 cabs on a county bid with another dept like county maintenece that would have no use for vans or a SUV type vehicle so it was probably cheaper for them to go this route and build what they acually wanted. That would be my guess if they purchased a bunch of them the cost savings was probably considerable.

Originally posted by medicmaster
                        They are interesting little response vehicles, but I am curious...

What is the difference in cost between a suburban, and having an E-450 with a custom built "rescue" box built onto it?

Of course, if it makes operations more efficient, I'm one to say who cares what it costs!

I also have to add...they look like a rebirth of "Squad 51"!

Comment

Originally posted by firetdriver99
                          The back part is most likely built by LA counties shop it they probably got a gross of f-450 cabs on a county bid with another dept like county maintenece that would have no use for vans or a SUV type vehicle so it was probably cheaper for them to go this route and build what they acually wanted. That would be my guess if they purchased a bunch of them the cost savings was probably considerable.

That makes sense...I never thought of that.
                          Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

Comment

Re: the LA squads,
                            has the frame been chopped ?
                            sure looks short.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse