Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual pump gear lever

Is having a lever or control to go into pump gear, independent of the
    air unit in the cab required by NFPA now?

Don't know if those clowns require it but I think it is a good idea.

Comment

A manual pump shift is not required by NFPA.

If you do have one, make sure you use it every so often so when you really need it it works and is not seized up.

Comment

I thought that was a standard feature.
        Last edited by firepiper1; 10-22-2006, 11:42 PM.
        I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Comment

Like FF4020 said, no they're not required by NFPA standard. They are a good idea, however. They take up very little space on the pump panel but when you need them, they sure do come in handy. The pneumatic shifts seem to be pretty reliable, but I've had electric shifts crap out on me in the past forcing me to use the manual override. I was glad it was there.

If you need some sort of reference to it not being required, I think this bit of text in Chapter 16 of the 2003 edition of NFPA 1901 should provide that:

16.10.1.2 Any control device used in the pumping system power train between the engine and the pump, except a manual pump shift override device if provided, shall be equipped with a means to prevent unintentional movement of the control device from its set position in the pumping mode.
          Key words being "if provided".

Comment

Thanks. I speced one for a new truck, and one of the responses does not have it.

Our first out pumper, a 1976 Ward Lafrance, has had issues with the air powered unit, and crawling under the truck at 3 am to put it into pump gear
            is no fun.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by firepiper1
              I thought that was a standard feature.
              I can't remember ever noticing an engine without a manual pump shift as a backup. Either way, I would certainly want one, and I've had to use them in the past when electric pump shifts have failed.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X