Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grains
    replied
    I know that there is a reason why, but it escapes me right now. It may have had something to do with the airbag design.

Leave a comment:

• Chief1FF
    replied
    Grains,

Just curious why you guys are not interested in Meritor? I ask because we are working on a new engine and we have used Meritor on our last couple of rigs and have not had any issues.

Leave a comment:

• grains
    replied
    Alright, I'm always willing to try anything at least once.

Thanks Chauffer

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Grains,

You might also want to register and ask your question here, at the EVTA forums. There are a few guys here that are also members there, and they seem to give out pretty good info and advice.

http://www.evta.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Leave a comment:

• grains
    replied
    Firefightergtp,

How long ago was this? Recently or are we talking about a couple of years ago?

I'm curious because through my research I have found that Timoney has made upgrades in the last couple of years. Originally parts were only available from overseas, they're based in Ireland, but I understand now that they have a presence in the US.

Hehe, I'm sure the tour guide would have choked if he had heard what was being said. It's hard to get a straight word out of anybody that works for a manufacturer.

Hopefully I can find some departments who are using the Timoney out there and talk to their crews and mechanics.

Clear skies!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by firefightergtp
    While our truck committee was out at the KME plant in PA to do a pre-paint inspection of an apparatus purchase, they stumbled upon a couple mechanics tooling on the front end of a pretty new looking rig. A couple of our guys started chatting with them, and they started complaining about how the Timoney IFS was unreliable, and how hard it was to get parts for it. They were going on and on about how many they get a month in for repair. Finally our groups guide caught up to them, told the mechanics who they were, and the mechanics quickly cut their stories short and went back to work!
    Interesting. Sometimes the best info comes from sources like that. Having served on truck committees, I've found that some of the most useful and reliable info comes from the guys that service and repair these things, NOT salesmen, glossy product brochures or fancy websites. You would think that was a given, but sadly some are overwhelmed by glitz and glitter and never find out the real story behind the shiny chrome bells and sales pitch hyperbole.

I wonder how many issues Pierce has had with the TAK-4 system. Our dept has one tower ladder quint equipped with it and a rescue on the way, so we have some vested interest in knowing info like this. We haven't had any problems or issues whatsoever with ours, it's been fantastic actually. The ride, handling and braking are superb, especially for such a big, heavy truck. Even still, I'm always very interested in full disclosure and being able to have as much info available so we can anticipate any potential future issues and learn from other's misfortune.

Leave a comment:

• firefightergtp
    replied
    Originally posted by grains
    KME does install Timoney on their apparatus, so what's the story?

Well, please keep in mind that none of the apparatus out of my department has this setup, nor do I know of any that do run it.

While our truck committee was out at the KME plant in PA to do a pre-paint inspection of an apparatus purchase, they stumbled upon a couple mechanics tooling on the front end of a pretty new looking rig. A couple of our guys started chatting with them, and they started complaining about how the Timoney IFS was unreliable, and how hard it was to get parts for it. They were going on and on about how many they get a month in for repair. Finally our groups guide caught up to them, told the mechanics who they were, and the mechanics quickly cut their stories short and went back to work!

Leave a comment:

• grains
    replied
    If I can confirm this is the setup that KME uses, I have a pretty interesting story about a Master Tech at their PA plant and his thoughts of that IFS.
    KME does install Timoney on their apparatus, so what's the story?

Leave a comment:

• firefightergtp
    replied
    If I can confirm this is the setup that KME uses, I have a pretty interesting story about a Master Tech at their PA plant and his thoughts of that IFS.

Leave a comment:

• thetatooisreal
    replied
    Only on Spartans ?

I wonder if the recall was only on Spartan cabs/chassis or did it affect all units with a Timoney IFS?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recal...re_trucks.html

Leave a comment:

• thetatooisreal
    replied
    Not to many Timoney IFS?

I thought I read somewhere that multiple manufactures promote the availabilty of the Timoney IFS but not to many are purchased. When I was looking at the Velocity last week the Pierce sales guy stated that for the last four years 80% of all Pierce deliveries had the TAK 4 IFS.

I also thought a post in the forums had talked about a recall or field replacement on the Timoney IFS that happened 18 to 24 months ago. I don't know if it was a forums post or from somewhere else.

Does any one have any info on this?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    By the way, I should also mention that the systems DO differ in certain ways. One significant difference is that the Oshkosh/Pierce TAK-4 sytem uses torsion bars whereas the Timoney system uses coil springs.

Leave a comment:

• grains
    replied
    Originally posted by Chauffer6
    (Just reposting what I did in his other thread for others to see here).
    Thanks Chauffer for pointing me in the right direction.

Is this the setup that KME offers?
    This is what most of the other manufacturers that are not Pierce offers. I believe that Meritor (spelling?) is another, but I don't believe that we were interested in that brand.

Clear skies!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    (Just reposting what I did in his other thread for others to see here)

It may or may not surprise anyone to learn that several of Oshkosh's patents related to TAK-4, in particular #5538274 for "Modular Independent coil spring suspension", cite an earlier patent by Timoney. Basically, Timoney has been around for decades and puts out quality products that the TAK-4 is actually based on. Pretty much all the main players in the industry today offer some form of independent front suspension on fire apparatus, it's just a matter of whose product they use.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X