Monster Ambulances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Ambulances

I noticed that Cambridge, Mass operates two monster ambulances... was wondering if there are any more out there.

Most MICU trucks around here are very large. In fact, many are now getting quad cabs... still though, none are Custom cabs. I'll see if I can find some pics..
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

What odd timing of this thread.... This one hear belongs to Mount Horeb.

Comment

I got to admit, those are the biggest ambulances I have ever seen. Ya know, If I saw that running down our streets, I would think it was a rescue truck of some sorts. I'd NEVER guess those to be an ambulance.

Comment

Lets see... not sure how big these will show up in the post...

YES..... this ambulance has a CAF system...

The first two pics are from NC.. the middle from OH.. and the last from ?VA?

Comment

for the record lets NOT confuse MICU's and regular ambulances. I do wonder how the bigger hold up.
            IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
            Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
            ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
            RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
            LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
            I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
            "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
            http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

The original selling point of the medium duty chassis'...Navistar, Freightliner, in the late 80's was their higher GVW better braking, driveline and so. This was a direct result of the E350 of the mid 80's with the gasoline engines that caused many rigs to catch fire, not to mention the 10,500 gvw these rigs had. So many bought them thinking they were the solution. However they cost considerably more and when repairs were needed the service costs were higher. My friend is a fleet capt with a major dept and had a fleet of IH/wheeled coaches and he said that after 100,000 miles it cost $1.50 per mile in maint. costs to keep them on the road. The entire fleet has been replaced with E 450's. The E450 / F450 now have excellent engines and a higher GVW, so the problems that made the medium duties atractive are now a non issue. There are many drawbacks to these rigs, be carefull before you order one, but they are suprisingly nimble.

Comment

Is a MICU the same as a NICU (Neo-natal Intensive Care Unit?) A local provider has a NICU unit, just not as big as these.

Comment

Ok, so this begs the question......WHY?

Is there truly a need for these monsters? Is there that much extra equipment? Specially the CAFS, do they delay transport while they finish putting out the fire? How many patients do these monsters transport?
                  "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Where's Bozz at? What happened to the Pete chassis on the Mt Horeb?
                    Brian P. Vickers
                    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
                    Emergency Services Consulting
                    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
                    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42
                      Ok, so this begs the question......WHY?

Is there truly a need for these monsters? Is there that much extra equipment? Specially the CAFS, do they delay transport while they finish putting out the fire? How many patients do these monsters transport?

I see CAFS on board as a great idea. Many places the rig may be first at an accident scene, and the CAFS may be just enough to knock down a fire to get the patients out or until an engine arrives? Can't be a bad thing to have for the rarity.I know places are starting to load up on cutters and such, and that seems odd to me, though depending on staffing and response policies, I guess I could see it.

Comment

Cambridge

Cambridge I think only runs one spartan, they do have to other FL70s though. They also run Paramedic Response Units, E250 vans with two medics and a lot of stuff. Also see http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ambulance+CAFS for more about CAFS on them. That Mount Horeb truck is the only ambulance I have ever seen with a Q...

Comment

Originally posted by Weruj1
                          for the record lets NOT confuse MICU's and regular ambulances. I do wonder how the bigger hold up.
                          Ok... so as not to confuse anyone in here with an MICU and a regular ambulance... here is the pic of what MEDIC is starting to use:

I have heard that these 4 door cabs are much better for the crew, ride-alongs, new EMTs, pt family, etc. etc. Apparently, they also have a tighter turning radius than their older ambos.

Just a side note... many MICU trucks around here don't use a 4-door cab. Most are either your standard Frieghtliner or International cabs. Who knows.. we might see more MICUs switching to 4-door cabs. Also, New Hanover County EMS uses either 4-door cabs or extended cabs on their ambos.. couldn't find a pic though!

Comment

violet

i like that thing a lot. the extended cab with the roll up is a good idea and probably doesnt hurt the turning too bad. The CAFS thing might be a tad overkill i admit. That thing also has warning lights galore, on the AC unit, the brow, the grill. I also see a federal grille in the bumper--tell me it is an e-q2b, not a real q.

Comment

Q's on ambos

So what is wrong with a Federal Q on an ambulance? A county south of me has them on 3 of their Freightliners. It moves traffic and if I remember, mechanical sirens penetrate vehicles better than electronic sirens.

Also, in regards to MICU/NICU vehicles. The extra space is required for specialized equipment and the NICU you need room for the incubator mobule. You also have to realize, these are ground units utilized mostly by flight crews that go cross country to fly patients to specialized and children's hospitals. If they have to get a local pt, why tie up a helicopter or jet when you can take a ground unit. The extended cabs help carry the up to 5 crew members to the hospital, then the extra room in back for all of them to sit and assist the patient.
                              Firefighter/EMT-B
                              IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...