Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pumper8032
    replied
    Use a Japanese Cab/Chassis every day and then come back and talk to me!!

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    Mr. Magoo
    I still love that.

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    Originally posted by Bones42
    FFFred, not saying the latches shouldn't be addressed. I was just curious if it's a common or uncommon event.
    Hard to say. I know I've acidentally closed the top latch and was unable to close the door properly and had to release the latch to allow it to be properly closed. I'm sure it has happened but if no one falls out of the rig and it is your 7th run of the night tour and you have a million other things on your mind it will soon be forgotten.

I'm sure it has happened prior to this but because it didn't seem important at the time, no one mentioned it. Now we can all see what an important issue this is.

Remember Mr. Magoo had 5 months to address this and my BC just came around now and told us about this "safety issue" Once again...day late and a dollar short.(I'll bet you the deed to a certain bridge that crosses the East River that nothing more gets done unless the Unions press the issue.)

This is going to be just part of the never ending battle with these clowns until 2009 when Bloomsh*t is out of office or Magoo finally has that stroke that is way past due.

FTM-PTB

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    FFFred, not saying the latches shouldn't be addressed. I was just curious if it's a common or uncommon event.

Leave a comment:

• jlcooke3
    replied
    Clarification

Can anyone provide answers or explanations to the following;

1. Has the NTSB been notified of a potential need for a safety recall of all apparatus using this particular latch system?

2. If the department is pushing its members to respond in an unsafe manner (i.e. no seatbelts, dress enroute) why is the union not pushing for a seated, belted, and dressed prior to responding policy?

3. Who makes the latch? I doubt Seagrave makes the latch. Like most manufactures Seagrave probably buys the latch mechanism from a supplier. Why isn't the union pushing for the actual manufacturer of the latch to be held responsible?

4. And finally how on God's earth can you (as a representative of FF's) honestly sit there with a straight face and say that a seatbelt may or may not have prevented the accident? (Before anybody jumps feet first in it, I do realize that anything is possible).

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    With the 1000's of times those rigs are running, I'm curious as to how often these doors are popping open. Is it a common thing or a very rare occurrence?
    We go to 1000s of fires and didn't need personal escape ropes (according to TVE and Mr. Magoo) until a cold January day in 2005 when a rare situation occured and now two brothers are gone forever because our Commisioner at the time and the following one didn't listen to our Chiefs.

Do we need to wait for another latch to fail before we correct this problem?

FTM-PTB

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    With the 1000's of times those rigs are running, I'm curious as to how often these doors are popping open. Is it a common thing or a very rare occurrence?

Leave a comment:

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    It's a shame that taking those extra seconds on the floor to get their boots, pants, and coats on is held against them by the city.
    And... according to the video, that is why they are getting dressed in the rigs and unable to wear seatbelts. At least that's how I understood it... correct me if I misunderstood, FDNY guys.

Personally, I don't think we could compare the rigs from other departments, UNLESS they get used and/or take the same abuse that the FDNY rigs. I'd be willing to bet that some of those rigs open/close their doors more in 24 hrs than some other department's rig does in a month (or more!). I can't think of any other equally busy/aggressive department that uses mostly seagraves to compare them to. The area which they operate is very unique. I think that these factors probably contribute a lot to the door problem. Should Seagrave fix the problem? YES. Why? Because until they can prove that FDNY did something to create the problem, they should be willing to make their "customer" satisfied.

That's my .02 about something has nothing to do with me!

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    Originally posted by FTMPTB15
    Did ya'll watch the video provided in this thread? It addresses seatbelt use regarding this incident. Watch it, it might answer some of your questions.
    Yes, I did. Doesn't sway me either way, not that it matters. Guys apprantly aren't wearing seatbelts.

Should all the trucks get the latches covered? Probably, but don't want to have that cover hinder them in being able to quickly open the door either. Is it an indication of poor service from Seagrave? Not to me. I'm sure there are many other departments out there using the same truck and have not heard of a huge outcry anywhere. It's a tough spot, they could use something existing (seatbelts) or put the time, effort, money into the covered latch.

It's a shame that taking those extra seconds on the floor to get their boots, pants, and coats on is held against them by the city.

Leave a comment:

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    Originally posted by firepiper1

Here is a televison interview with union president Steve Cassidy about the plane crash and the apparatus issue.

http://www.ufalocal94.org/video/ny1_10_12_06.wmv
    This is the video I'm referring to, not the news footage.

Leave a comment:

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    Did ya'll watch the video provided in this thread? It addresses seatbelt use regarding this incident. Watch it, it might answer some of your questions.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    I, for one, haven't. But I'm willing to guess that somewhere in it, there is mention that all FF's riding on the rigs should be seated and belted. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't in it somewhere.

I know less than a dozen members of FDNY, and while I will agree that is a very low percentage of the department, we've talked in the past about this topic. Of those guys, they all said yes they were supposed to wear the belts. Of those guys, none actually did.

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    Just out of curiocity...how many of you have read Chief of Safety Hay's report?

FTM-PTB

Leave a comment:

• CpaceEng1
    replied
    Kfactor

It's not the Unions fault or the city's. It's your fault, they provide you with safety equipment. They can't make sure you always use it.THAT's YOUR RESPONSABILITY TO USE IT!!!!! That's why they put seatbelt in vehicles,and why they give you an SCBA, ect. Safety is everybody's responsability including yours.

Sure their a busy department, but when the numbers are broken down they don't have the bussiest station,Engine,or Ladder Co. in the nation according to the firehouse run survey. So that argument doesn't hold water either.

Leave a comment:

• kfactor
    replied
    Isn't it FDNY policy to wear seat belts? And if the union was actually concerned about firefighter safety, why didn't they and the membership put a push on ensuring seat belts are used to PREVENT a serious injury or death associated with someone falling out of a moving rig?

It is amazing to me that the focus is not on preventing seriou injuries or a fatality, but rather on using the incident to bash the FDNY administration or a fire apparatus manufacturer.

There was NIOSH report out a few months ago for a smilar incident I believe in Texas. Pretty short report - bottom line > wear your seat belt. Wasn't the IAFF a big supporter of having federal investigations such a NIOSH for FF LODDs? I didn't see any IAFF press conferences with the Texas incident - oh, that's right, the NIOSH report and incident didn't have anything to do with staffing.

Many of these serious injuries and LODDs could be prevented if the union was actually concerned about FF safety vs. using the issues to further other agendas. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X