LDH on a Quint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDH on a Quint

We are leaning heavily towards a 100' Mid-Mount ALF Platform. Does anyone know how much hose can be carried on the truck? We would love to try to get as much 3" and 4" as we can on the truck. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by JoeyKos
    We are leaning heavily towards a 100' Mid-Mount ALF Platform. Does anyone know how much hose can be carried on the truck? We would love to try to get as much 3" and 4" as we can on the truck. Thanks in advance.
    How much hose are you talking here? I don't think you'd be able to fit much more than a few hundred feet of LDH, and maybe around 1000' of 3". It depends on what else you spec on the truck, such as tank size, which could reduce the amount of space for a hosebed. I'm not sure about the ALF, but I know with our Pierce midmount, we had a choice between two different height bodies, which would've also affected the amount of usable space for hose. Just remember though, the hosebed option will probably take away ALL high side compartments on the passenger side of the rig, at least on our Pierce it would've. I say would've because we decided that having full compartmentation was more important than a hosebed, so we carry a few rolls of 5" in the rear compartments (we also have the luxury of having a ton of 5" on our engines).

Comment

Hmm...I just found this on Pierce's site, so I don't see why the ALF would be far off.

Hose bed to be located on the passengers side with a capacity of 1,000' of 5" hose
      That's a LOT of 5" for a quint, so I'm sure you could cram quite a bit of 3" or 4" in place of the 5". You should definitely ask your local ALF dealer for more info though.

Comment

Any chance anybody can post a link to see pictures of the rear view of a mid-mount platform so we can see how the hose would playout!?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyKos
          Any chance anybody can post a link to see pictures of the rear view of a mid-mount platform so we can see how the hose would playout!?
          Sorry I don't have a picture readily available. But on all of the Quints I've seen the LDH plays out of a small compartment door on the rear. You open it up and pull out the section and it feeds out of there. I suppose this could be different with a midmount (then I'm guessing it could work like a normal hosebed).
          Fir Na Tine
          Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

Here's a pic of the rear of a Pierce.

Comment

You can get 1000' 5" and at least 800' 3" on a Quint. We have 105' Quantums with this configuration. 2000 GPM pumps with 500 gallons tanks directly over the torque box (see "to quint or not to quint forum).

Comment

My last department has a Stuphen 95' quint, which holds 800'-900' of 4" and probably 300' or so of 3", in addition to the (2) 1.75" crosslays and (1) 2.5" crosslay.
                Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

LDH Hose On A Midmount Platform

There are a few configurations with Midmount Platforms the Pierce photo is of a Side Stacker style BUT you lose upper compartment space. Here is a pic of a Smeal 100 ft. Midmount that has 1000' x 4" 100' lengths of LDH hose and still provides upper compartmentation.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by SAFETEK; 10-07-2006, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Packing the LDH?

How do you guys pack hose when using a side chute? We have 700' of 5" on our tower that is packed in sort of a weird flat lay adapted from something they do in Richmond VA. Laying hose with a tower (ours at least) we consider a last resort.

Comment

We run a 75' rear mount stick. Usually have about 100' in the side trough. Once it clears the front of the turntable, we stand it on its side and go side to side to the front of the hose bed. Once thats full, we pack a second layer right on top. So far, we fit 1000' of 5" and it plays off fine. We had a hard time packing 800' of 4" until we switched to the niedner hose.

Comment

How about 1300 feet of 5", and a 700 gallon tank, with 50 gallons of foam.

http://www.unionfireco.org/apparatus/index.shtml

Comment

Alf

send me a PM and I'll forward you some pics of the rear of an ALF tower (mid Mount) ... all of my pictures are too large in size to post on this site.

Comment

Picture of a mid mount straight stick. It has space for 700' of 5"

Ours is completely different being a rear mount but We got 1000' of 5" in one chute and 800' of 2-1/2" in the other chute

Comment

Originally posted by k1500chevy97
                              Picture of a mid mount straight stick. It has space for 700' of 5"

Ours is completely different being a rear mount but We got 1000' of 5" in one chute and 800' of 2-1/2" in the other chute

Havn't seen many quint's with ladders stored on the outside like that.
                              Fir Na Tine
                              Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...