No announcement yet.

Not Wanting to do an Inspection Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To chiefengineer11: Checking the pump at Waterous doesn't do much good. Checking after it is on the vehicle when the electrical and the drive train are hooked up is more important. You can ask to be notified when the UL pump test is being done, but the rig will be almost complete when they do that. I have been involved in buying several trucks from the Central States factory. On one we didn't do a pre-paint, just a final and found just a few minor things that were fixed quickly. Another dept. did a pre-paint and found several things they wanted changed. My dept currently has a pumper on order from CSFA and we are debating the pre-paint trip. I think you sholud always do a final at the factory, you have to much at stake not to check the truck completely before it leaves the factory. The more complicated/unusual the vehicle, the more important the pre-paint inspection becomes.

Comment

Don't disagree with you at all, Big Jim, my reason for wanting to do it is just for my own personal knowledge, to see what's done and how. I don't intend to ask the Fire Co. to pay for it, if I go at all it will be on my own. I'm actually hoping that the timing will coincide with the chassis inspection at Spartan. That way I can jump in my car and make one big lap. There's lots of friends along the way that I'd like to visit, too.

I'm certain that Waterous' own test procedures take in things that UL doesn't. My experience with Waterous Co. is that they are very good about sharing knowledge and answering questions (I've been to their week-long mechanics' school). I'm sure that Hale and Darley are the same.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Comment

Sir, You must live in a hole and have a pipe dream.

Take nothing for granted - at all!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by chiefengineer11
          Don't disagree with you at all, Big Jim, my reason for wanting to do it is just for my own personal knowledge, to see what's done and how. I don't intend to ask the Fire Co. to pay for it, if I go at all it will be on my own. I'm actually hoping that the timing will coincide with the chassis inspection at Spartan. That way I can jump in my car and make one big lap. There's lots of friends along the way that I'd like to visit, too.

You know - my neck of the woods might be on the way home or there depending on how you chose to get to Waterous' plant. If you get out this way, let me know and maybe I could spring for dinner for you and a certain other local guy you met out in Iowa not too long ago.
          "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Originally posted by chiefengineer11

I'm certain that Waterous' own test procedures take in things that UL doesn't. My experience with Waterous Co. is that they are very good about sharing knowledge and answering questions (I've been to their week-long mechanics' school). I'm sure that Hale and Darley are the same.

If you're willing to go to Waterous just to see what's done and how it's done, I'd recommend you take their pump mechanics class. I've taken Hale's, and it's quite informative. Information every pump operator should know i my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by npfd801
              You know - my neck of the woods might be on the way home or there depending on how you chose to get to Waterous' plant. If you get out this way, let me know and maybe I could spring for dinner for you and a certain other local guy you met out in Iowa not too long ago.
              High on my list, for sure. Can't pass through there without stopping in Markham to visit people I used to work with. As long as I'm making a big circle, I might feel compelled to include Breda, Ia. on my itinerary. That's if I can pull the whole thing off in the first place.

Comment

ChiefEngineer:

Let NPFD know when you get to the area and I would enjoy visting with you again. It was nice meeting you out in Breda during your pre-construction conference. Good luck and let us know when you are in the area.

rfd599
                www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Comment

You've got a deal. Thanks!

Comment

I'll reiterate that you should definitely go do the pre-paint. I just got back from Lyons. There were several issues we found, mainly due to the fact the factory never got one of the change orders to correct things that were left off months ago. Had we not gone, we'd have got the truck missing a bunch of things. Plus there were duplicates on change orders (same thing added twice) which was going to cost us more. As we got to questioning things missing, we discovered all this. Nothing to do with Central or our saleman, but the dealer's office apparently.

Comment

Was your truck delivered on time??

Originally posted by Catch22
                      I'll reiterate that you should definitely go do the pre-paint. I just got back from Lyons. There were several issues we found, mainly due to the fact the factory never got one of the change orders to correct things that were left off months ago. Had we not gone, we'd have got the truck missing a bunch of things. Plus there were duplicates on change orders (same thing added twice) which was going to cost us more. As we got to questioning things missing, we discovered all this. Nothing to do with Central or our saleman, but the dealer's office apparently.
                      Hey - you didn't see them building a 2500 gallon pumper-tanker on a KW chasis? We have one on order and had a scheduled delivery date of Nov 15 (they got the chasis in end of August). We can't get anyone from the plant in Lyon's to return and email or phone call.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchkrat
                        Hey - you didn't see them building a 2500 gallon pumper-tanker on a KW chasis? We have one on order and had a scheduled delivery date of Nov 15 (they got the chasis in end of August). We can't get anyone from the plant in Lyon's to return and email or phone call.
                        I saw one, but it was ours. It seems like there was one or two others in the plant, plus a big *** 3,000 gallon pumper/tanker on a KW (geez that thing was big). There were also a couple tandem body panels I saw that might have been yours.

Good luck trying to catch someone, I'm still waiting to hear on the issues we found while we were up there. They aren't going to be happy if it's not right when they drive it 8 hours down here.

If you like, I can send you a picture of what one looks like.

Comment

Oh,that's just cruel,hehe T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101
                            Oh,that's just cruel,hehe T.C.
                            I couldn't help myself.

Comment

Pumper ordered yellow is delivered red

Should you do the inspection trips? Just ask Chisholm FD about their new rear mount pumper built by Custom Fire Apparatus of Osceola WI.

Apparatus was ordered yellow to match existing fleet; delivery was made red.

Check the pictures: http://www.customfire.com/d_pumper.php?id=447f88618a73e

This is a difficult lesson to learn all around; I hope Chisholm FD received a healthy discount off bill from Custom Fire Apparatus.

Comment

Originally posted by ponebutton1
                                Apparatus was ordered yellow to match existing fleet; delivery was made red.
                                That was not an error - that was a correction on the manufacturer's part - they realized what color fire apparatus is supposed to be. It would have been too ugly if they allowed it to be built yellow.

By the time our new engine is delivered, we'll have a total of six trips to the manufacturer, or five at the very least - pre-bid, pre-con, pre-paint & plumbing early mid, post-paint & body mount late mid, final, and final-final (the final-final would be to inspect issues that had to be corrected at the final - we won't need to do that if everything checks out perfectly at the final).

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X