No announcement yet.

Crimson Vs. American Lafrance Vs. Darley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can do it, as long as your bridges can support it. Use a 31k rear and a 21k front and you should be fine.

Comment

Once again, remember single axle 'Scopes?

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Comment

Originally posted by rwm550
        be aware that if a tire ever blows out - the body & tank is history....
        ask Dallas County, TX - their Darley F550 had a blow out at highway speed - looked very similar to a hand grenade exposion under rear duals.
        I was very intrigued by this comment. I had heard of Poly Body trucks being involved in accidents with little or no damage, so I contacted Polybilt and asked about the Texas truck. Here is their reply:

"We had a body about three or four years ago that had the welding in the wheel well area break after sustaining direct hit from a tire rupture while the truck was engaged. We had it fixed in about three hours. Out of the seven hundred or so bodies in the industry, this is one of the few that we have seen with a break. I have never seen the material break; only a weld.

Further, we have had several reports of rollovers with little or no damage to our PolyBilt body. For example, we had a pumper body in MI roll over full of water. The only plastic repair was minor cosmetic repair to the side. The tank did not leak even though it fell on its side with over eight thousand pounds of water."
        Last edited by firepiper1; 10-05-2006, 10:53 PM.
        I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by RAMFIRE42
          Thanks For The Info. The Committe Has Traveled And See A Darley Poly Tanker. It Was Very Nice But How Proven Is The Poly Body? Has These Truck Been Around For A While Or Are They New. Living In Central Pa. The Tanker In Six Mile Run Bedford County Is The Only One I Have Ever Known About.
          We have a the darley poly quint body on a commercial. It was a good sell job for sure. It didn't come with lifetime warranty to start. Now it is going to they tell us. You have to think about it poly is lighter maybe but there is alot of extra pieces of untreated pieces of steel under it.
          If poly was so great why isn't everyone doing it?
          According to NFPA the common firetruck is in service 25 years. Stainless will certainly last that long. The cost of poly is now higher then any other metals!
          It is very common to see waves in the top of the body. I know of another FD that has an Engine with poly body and it spread apart with the weight of hose in the bed.
          The only thing I can say is to go wit ha trusted dealer that will be with you now and 20 years from now. Nothing worse then NO service and No parts.

Comment

IN OUR AREA THE SINGLE AXLE 2000 GAL TANKER IS NOT UNCOMMON. A LOCAL FIRE DEPT JUST TOOK DELIVERY OF A DARLEY POLY BODY 2000 GALLON TANKER. SPECS ON THE AXLES ARE VERY IMPORTANT BUT THEY HAVE AN ADDIONAL 10,000 LBS FOR EQUIPMENT.
            Take a look at a Kme/Mack tanker!..

Comment

Originally posted by npfd801
              Wow. Did someone tattle?

"Johnny said something bad about me Mrs. Smith!"
              Yup. I posted an accurate, truthful, and up-to-date critique of three pieces of apparatus from that company, and included information about another department's piece that had similar problems.

As it was, the owner of VTEC called the Chief of a department where "Rescue 343" is from (the piece that I'm named after.) That Chief is a close friend, as well as many members of that department. It's sad that they'll hide behind a username with zero posts, call fire chiefs demanding explanations for why someone came out with the dirty laundary (albeit the TRUTH).

Per the request of that Chief, I editted the posts to not be there anymore. If anyone wants the inside scoop, send me an email, or private message. I'm not going to get squashed for telling the truth.
              Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
              Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
              FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by NewJerseyFFII
                Take a look at a Kme/Mack tanker!..
                WE MEET WITH KME THIS TUESDAY
                YOU ONLY NEED TO BE STUPID ONCE TO BE DEAD FOREVER!

Comment

Originally posted by canaan50
                  If poly was so great why isn't everyone doing it?
                  Pierce and E-One have built rigs with Poly Bodies. If you look at the PolyBilt website, the Pierce dealer in Ohio is also a Poly Body dealer in Ohio.
                  I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Comment

As 343 indicated,some of the mfgs actually do look at these sites.We were recently contacted regarding my commentary on a product line.This particular incident has yet to play out but I stand behind the concept that if a product does not work for US as well as another product then future purchases will be graded toward the product that gives us the greatest return on our investment.IE longest term of good service with minimum maintence/upkeep cost.And just because a product doesn't work for OUR dept does not mean it might not be ideal for yours.One of my downfalls is that I have the subtlety of a brick.If something works well,I'll tell you.If it doesn't,same story. If it doesn't work,and it's because I screwed it up,I'll tell you that too.I've got mixed feelings on poly bodies,but the technology is always improving and a lot of folks are having good luck with the product.The Darley family was one of the first to use to use poly bodies and they have a few out there.Do your own homework,find out who has what and where and ask questions.What works for some may not for others.Good service AFTER the sale is also important. T.C.

Comment

101, I hear ya. It's total BULL.

Granted, I realize that I could have potentially hurt sales for them somehow, since they're a small shop in Podunk, Vermont essentially, but if you're not going to live up to the standards you set, then well, you don't deserve the business, y'know?

If the owner of VTEC want's to hash it out with me, do it in the proper manner. Calling Fire Chiefs and fussing isn't the way to do it. Send me a PM and I'll give you a phone number, or we can set up a meeting and I'll slide down to meet you in Williamstown.
                      Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
                      Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
                      FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Comment

Well Said Res343cue. To Even Think That A "profesional Buisness" Would Run And Tattle Is A Complete Joke To Me. As Long As The Truth About A Product Was Spoken, Good Or Bad. Its The Truth And Who Can Argue With That. This Isnt Preschool!!

Comment

We've stopped doing business with few fire equipment dealers for similar issues. Such as running to City Councilors when they don't get a bid or bad mouthing other departments for not buying from them.
                          I had to tell one large companies salesmen to leave our station NOW! After they threatened us with starting a "War" over sole source builders. I told them that if we heard another word about this I would go directly to the State Chief's Association and tell them this is how ***** Co. does business. They left quietly, not to be heard from again.

Comment

americam lafrance meeting

We Had A Meeting Last Night With American Lafrance. The Salesman Assured Us He Would Be The Lowest Price For The Truck We Want. Custom Pumper Tanker 2500gal 1500 Gpm Pump On Alum. Body. Does Anyone Know Any Corners That Lafrance Cuts In Their Production That We Need To Look For?

Comment

We Had A Meeting Last Night With American Lafrance. The Salesman Assured Us He Would Be The Lowest Price For The Truck We Want.
                              Bring on the competition and let ALF prove it!

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Comment

We Had A Meeting Last Night With American Lafrance. The Salesman Assured Us He Would Be The Lowest Price For The Truck We Want. Custom Pumper Tanker 2500gal 1500 Gpm Pump On Alum. Body. Does Anyone Know Any Corners That Lafrance Cuts In Their Production That We Need To Look For?
                                I don't know of any specific "cuts" they take, but I wouldn't give any manufacturer the chance: write tight specs for what you need and what you expect the truck to do. I'd be surprised that a salesman could make that statement without knowing who he's bidding against. In our neck of the woods, almost no one can low ball Metalfab, but who'd want one?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X