No announcement yet.

ALF Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like all of the apparatus mentioned so far were purchased when Freightliner was in charge.

Has anybody taken delivery of an ALF since it was bought by Patriarch Partners?
    What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

Apparatus Operator
    Salem Fire Department
    IAFF Local 314

Comment

Originally posted by grains
      It looks like all of the apparatus mentioned so far were purchased when Freightliner was in charge.

Has anybody taken delivery of an ALF since it was bought by Patriarch Partners?
      Is that Jim Hebes Group again

Comment

Originally posted by captaincvfd
        Is that Jim Hebes Group again
        Are you asking me?? I don't know who Jim Hebes is so maybe you have me mixed up with somebody else.

No, I am just curious if ALF has made a turnaround since being bogged down by Freightliner. ALF is one of those American icons that unfortunately got purchased by a company who didn't give a crap about quality. I was hoping that under their new ownership that they could get back to building better trucks.

Apparatus Operator
        Salem Fire Department
        IAFF Local 314

Comment

Jim Hebe, after "leaving" Freightliner, put together the group that bought Seagrave. After exiting an active role in that group, he became a principal in a large International dealership. I believe that it's in Vancouver, B.C., Canada. That's the last I've heard of him. To the best of my knowledge, he's not in the fire apparatus business at this time.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Comment

Originally posted by chiefengineer11
            Jim Hebe, after "leaving" Freightliner, put together the group that bought Seagrave. After exiting an active role in that group, he became a principal in a large International dealership. I believe that it's in Vancouver, B.C., Canada. That's the last I've heard of him. To the best of my knowledge, he's not in the fire apparatus business at this time.

Oh, OK.

I'm no expert here, but I don't believe that he is involved here. Patriarch Partners is headed by a gal named Lynn Tilton.

Apparatus Operator
            Salem Fire Department
            IAFF Local 314

Comment

Sure am glad I stumbled into this thread. I am meeting with the ALF rep today about building our new tanker. It will be a custom truck on a Freightliner chassis. I was thinking he would be higher priced when compaired to the other companies I was looking into (one on a Rosenbauer platform). Will have to watch this closely, great info guys! Keep it coming!

Comment

utfd, contact me by email ([email protected]) in reference to a truck......

Thank you
                check out our website: www.firstduefiresupply.com

Comment

Originally posted by utfd701
                  Sure am glad I stumbled into this thread.
                  Don't overlook various posts in "Tanker" thread.

Comment

Originally posted by utfd701
                    Sure am glad I stumbled into this thread. I am meeting with the ALF rep today about building our new tanker. It will be a custom truck on a Freightliner chassis. I was thinking he would be higher priced when compaired to the other companies I was looking into (one on a Rosenbauer platform). Will have to watch this closely, great info guys! Keep it coming!

Keep us posted!

Comment

Have a 2005 ALF Metro. Had an issue with fuel pump on delivery (Cummins Problem) and had 1 wiring issue but that was an oversight when we did final inspection. All in all we love the truck. Our issue has been the local Freightliner Dealership that was supposed to be the service center. I wont even take our FL70 chassis tanker to them anymore.
                      Forrest Gregg
                      Chief
                      Holtville/Slapout
                      Fire & Rescue Inc.
                      District 10 Director
                      AAVFD
                      IAFC
                      www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org

Comment

??

Originally posted by HSFDChief600
                        Our issue has been the local Freightliner Dealership that was supposed to be the service center. I wont even take our FL70 chassis tanker to them anymore.
                        what sort of problems have you had with the dealer that you won;t even bring a Freightliner to them?

Comment

We have two new ALF's on Commercial M2 Chassis with mercedes 300hp deisels. A 2004 Engine, and a 2005 65' Telesqurt.

Overall, good trucks and we are happy with thier performance, but we did have a few relatively minor headaches related to fit and finish and drivetrain electrical.

The engine was the most troublesome and required three warranty service visits in the first six months. It had the following issues:

-Door and floor panels improperly installed (broken at ALF factory), so doors would jam.
                          -Frequent and random engine warning lights including several critical warning lights that caused automatic engine shutdown (Mercedes problem).
                          -Loose electrical connections on wiring harness that caused additional critical fault codes.
                          -Engine temp sensor improperly calibrated (another Mercedes problem), so over temp buzzer rang frequently.
                          -Cab storage compartment did not have the safety chain installed correctly, so we inadvertently smashed the console lights on the first call.

On the aerial:

-Faulty Hydraulic Control Valve that leaked since new.
                          -Similar intermittent electrical fault codes as the engine (not as serious).
                          -Very intermittent transmission interlock code that prevented truck from starting twice.
                          -Air system leaks badly, so brakes and cab air down in an hour or two when shut off.
                          -Remote control for aerial was partially wired backwards (left toggle moved right, etc.).
                          -Rear tires were improperly mounted such that the outside rim was rotated one nut off, and you couldn't access the inner valve stem.

So all-in-all pretty mild stuff, and we have gotten it all fixed now (except the air system leak). A neighbouring dept has a similar 2004 unit, and it has suffered a few gearbox problems, but again, that's a Part Supplier/Freightliner issue.

I would not knock ALF any more than the other mid-level manufacturers. Like all trucks, I would just reccomend a good break in period to shakedown any problems early.
                          Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by canuck1
                            what sort of problems have you had with the dealer that you won;t even bring a Freightliner to them?
                            Well when I called and made an appointment to bring the tanker in for AC work on a Sat the guy at the service desk wouldn't even look at it because he had a full shop when I took it. Although it was scheduled,they still wouldnt look at it. When we took in the Metro to get the wiring issue (we missed rig not having in cab warning light for Scene lights that extend pass the cab) it shows up...same story (only Fire Truck Mech was put on a road truck) My guy wasted an entire day there and had to come back the next day. Have continued to send us bills for that work which is warranty.
                            The whole issue is they work on over the road trucks and could care less how fast you need your rig back,Front line or not,they just dont give a rats A** till they want their money.
                            Forrest Gregg
                            Chief
                            Holtville/Slapout
                            Fire & Rescue Inc.
                            District 10 Director
                            AAVFD
                            IAFC

Comment

That is why you can buy the best fire apparatus in the world , spend a million dollars it and it won't be worth a penny if it got problems & the dealer service " STINKS " !!!

Comment

Originally posted by NewJerseyFFII
                                That is why you can buy the best fire apparatus in the world , spend a million dollars it and it won't be worth a penny if it got problems & the dealer service " STINKS " !!!

That is just a Freightliner service center. They did not sell us the truck. We have an alternate source that will be handling any warranty issues.
                                Forrest Gregg
                                Chief
                                Holtville/Slapout
                                Fire & Rescue Inc.
                                District 10 Director
                                AAVFD
                                IAFC

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250