No announcement yet.

Commercial Chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmboy,you ever work on a late model Mercedes? Trust me,it's not your grandfathers diesel,they are NOT like everybody elses and I don't know too many mechanics that enjoy working on them.And not every dealership or truck shop will work on them.Some will, some won't. So far we're not towing a lot of them,they make decent power,but they ARE a pain to work on.Won't affect me,we run exclusively Cumaparts.And NO they do not all operate the same.Basic principal perhaps but programming and logic curves are a whole other ball game.Try the fueling system on a Volvo sometime if you want an excercise in terror. T.C.

Comment

Yea, Ive worked on them... I drive one also. ANYONE who services Detroit, will service the Mercedes since they are owned by Detroit. All the shops keep current on this stuff today.....This isnt the 70's Im happy with the power of my Mercedes. Its got alot more pep and gets better fuel milage than my C-12
      Buck
      Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Comment

Its actually the other way around, Mercedes bought out Detroit...

Detroit Diesel History
        Last edited by npfd801; 10-11-2006, 09:47 PM. Reason: typo
        "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Actually if you want to get technical about it....DCAG owns both along with numerous other companies
          Buck
          Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Comment

Yeah, I should have said DC. Growing up in a town with a DC plant, the whole "merger" (yeah, label it what you want I suppose) has been very good for the facility, but I think it was a merger much in the same way I "mergered" my dinner this evening...
            "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

On our new pumper/tanker (2,500 gallon tank), we went with a KW chassis and a 330 Cummins. A lot of the reasoning was the same as these guys talk about. Some other aspects include that I work on Freightliners at my FT department. I like the M-series a LOT better than the older style, but I'm still not a big fan, too easy to tear up stuff in the cab and no one around is overly familiar with the Mercedes diesels.

Our dept. mechanic is a big Cummins guy, plus we've got Cummins and KW dealers/shops all over the place, so that weighed in. However, we're fairly flat, so you may want to look into a bigger motor. We felt the 330 would get us around, but not have so much power some guys will get into trouble in the hills and curves in some parts of our district.

Plus, we felt a KW is a rig that should take a lot of abuse (they're built for over the road, after all). Take service, price, and availability, add a little personal preference, and you'll end up with a decision you'll live with for 15+ years.

Comment

Any problems with MBE 900/4000 engines

IH sales guy making a big point about the MBE not having wet/replacable cylinder liners. Anyone had any particular problems here?

Given that we may put 25000mi on new truck in 25yr never going to wear it out. Only likely cause of blowing up the engine/need to rebuild would be due to stupidity.

Comment

My primary employer has a yard full of big mercedes engines, some aproaching 500,000 miles. No problems. We have a mix of highway and vocational use.

The owner and the mechanics like the mercedes. Other than normal preventive maintenance, and the occasional overhead adjustments ( valves ) they have been strong runners, with minimal repairs compared to the C-12 & C-15 Cats, and M11 Cummins we have run.
                  We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Comment

Not sure what your specific needs are, but I would not discount Spartan as a potential chassis.
                    Speaking as someone who is a dedicated emergency vehicle mechanic, and being employed by a Smeal dealer, I have to at least shill a little for them.
                    Smeal has long dealt with Spartan, which is a chassis manufacturer out of Michigan. Although they started out in motorcoaches, they make a fine emergency vehicle chassis.
                    Again, going from the viewpoint of a mechanic, I can say that the chassis are extremely well constructed; the lines and the design are done in such a way so as to make maintenance and repairs simple. However, don't get the idea that Spartan is a chassis that requires repair often. It is solid, it is versatile, and it is packed with very nice features.
                    I realize this was kind of a barkers version of Spartan, but you should at least look into them for comparison. Hope it helps.
                    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
                    you will not be burned;
                    the flames will not set you ablaze
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

Comment

Originally posted by SkipJack270 View Post
                      Not sure what your specific needs are, but I would not discount Spartan as a potential chassis.
                      Any of there models (economy) available as a 2dr (2man) tandem rear? Cost competitive with a large IH or Freightliner ($90k +/-)?
                      Last edited by neiowa; 08-01-2007, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Here is the website for Spartan.. http://www.spartanchassis.com/ft/default.asp
                        You can check out the options, though from the limited amount I've poked around, it looks like it is likely a much larger cab than you are looking for.
                        Also, just my two cents on Int'l, but they are also fairly easy to maintain and repair.
                        Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
                        you will not be burned;
                        the flames will not set you ablaze
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

Comment

Originally posted by SkipJack270 View Post
                          Here is the website for Spartan.. http://www.spartanchassis.com/ft/default.asp
                          You can check out the options, though from the limited amount I've poked around, it looks like it is likely a much larger cab than you are looking for.
                          Also, just my two cents on Int'l, but they are also fairly easy to maintain and repair.

Been there only shows "crewcab" I's swear I've seen photos of trucks with 2dr custom cab. Maybe not Spartan. Called them/left callback # but nothing yet.

Comment

Spartan does offer a two door cab, neiowa - I shot you an e-mail giving you at least some idea what it looks like.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X