Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pierce & the F.D.N.Y.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pierce & the F.D.N.Y.

    The pierce Fire Apparatus company is building a rescue truck for New York on a two door Pierce Arrow XT chassis cab at this time. There are rumors around that Pierce will get the bid to build 100 pumpers over a four year period, I " DO NOT " see ( SEAGRAVE ) under bid on this large order with a FDNY spec of a 5 YEAR WARRENTY on all there apparatus. Seagrave Fire Apparatus can not afford to give up one of there biggest customers in the country !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 09-16-2006, 12:52 PM.

  • #2
    There are no rumors... Pierce is building FDNY a rescue truck... PERIOD.

    A muti-year pumper order is in the process and is open to any of the major manufacturers. FDNY does not specify or spec. to any one manufacturer. The manufactuer that will build the next group of pumpers for FDNY will be the lowest compliant bidder.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, as you said R1's Arrow XT is just about complete and word on the street is that Pierce will build the other four rescues as well. They are supposedly also building an Arrow XT rearmount ladder for them to try out. I hadn't heard anything about the engines though.

      Comment


      • #4
        rumors are the problem here--too many of them

        Originally posted by NewJerseyFFII
        The pierce Fire Apparatus company is building a rescue truck for New York on a two door Pierce Arrow XT chassis cab at this time. There are rumors around that Pierce will get the bid to build 100 pumpers over a four year period, I " DO NOT " see ( SEAGRAVE ) under bid on this large order with a FDNY spec of a 5 YEAR WARRENTY on all there apparatus. Seagrave Fire Apparatus can not afford to give up one of there biggest customers in the country !...
        FDNY has traditionally field tested new types of models for a long time before ordering any significant quantity. At least that is the spin. In reality though I was living there when ALF won a contract for 80 pumpers in 1980-81 underbidding Mack by 10k usd per rig and FDNY placed a contract for those Century models including a limey for eng 65 midtown manhattan.

        Then we have Ferrarra . They brown-nosed their way in via 9-11 gifts to FDNY and won a contract for some Hi-pressure pumpers that looked quite similar to the Seagraves. Yet some have said they are no good??
        Who can you believe? The new Pierce Arrow XT Heavy Rescue @ 729k usd is a whopper of a price tag! Rumor again has it that Pierce has an in to build Rescues 2-5 for FDNY? Who knows? One thing is reasonably certain. The E-One Cyclone II / Saulsburry rigs have not done well from all indication and presumably are so problematic that they see almost as much shop as they do firehouse.

        I would like to see a fair trial of Pierce Arrow XT in FDNY split order ala Los Angeles. Half to Seagrave and half to Pierce.
        Last edited by oldestwiseowl; 09-16-2006, 01:31 PM. Reason: typo

        Comment


        • #5
          Ferrara Fire Apparatus could under bid " Seagrave & Pierce " on the pumper order and get the total contract. I do not know who or where there dealer & service location is near New York City to handle a 5-YEAR Warrenty in the fdny specs!..

          Comment


          • #6
            field test

            i remember that Luverne, E-one, and ALF all had test engine running in the late 90s and early 2000s. None of them succeded.

            Comment


            • #7
              Pierce Fire Apparatus would have to design and build a " FIXED CAB & CHASSIS " made from gavaneal or stainless steel like the Seagrave Commander II that the F.D.N.Y. orders for there pumpers & aerials . Not like the Pierce Arrow XT tilt cab built from aluminum and not in there specs !... It would be nice to see a spilt order for there next pumper purchase, both builders have dealers & service hear in central New Jersey.

              Comment


              • #8
                Ferrara Ultra

                I think that Ferrara Fire Apparatus has there foot in the door over at the FDNY, 3- high pressure pumpers , 1- custom chassis hazmat , 1- special operations command unit 3- collapse units 5- mack hose wagons and more!..
                Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-20-2007, 11:42 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Soc

                  what does that thing do?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ferarra fdny pumper 3-stage hi-pressure

                    Originally posted by NewJerseyFFII
                    I think that Ferrara Fire Apparatus has there foot in the door over at the FDNY, 3- high pressure pumpers , 1- custom chassis hazmat , 1- special operations command unit 3- collapse units 5- mack hose wagons and more!..
                    Somewhere very recently I saw something that said that Ferrara wasn't working out well in the few high pressure units they have in service at FDNY and that in addition to 30 new pumpers 2000 gpm 500gwt there will be 1 new one that is a 3-stage 2000 gpm high pressure unit for engine 8.
                    Last edited by oldestwiseowl; 09-16-2006, 09:55 PM. Reason: typo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NewJerseyFFII
                      Pierce Fire Apparatus would have to design and build a " FIXED CAB & CHASSIS " made from gavaneal or stainless steel...
                      I seem to recall reading in the latest FAJ that the new order for FDNY from Seagrave are actually split-tilts.
                      Career Fire Captain
                      Volunteer Chief Officer


                      Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by skipatrol8
                        what does that thing do?
                        The Special Operations Command encompases the specialty units within FDNY. This particular one is a massive mobile decon rig. Hot and cold showers inside the body, changing areas, etc. It was on display at Firehouse Expo this year.
                        Career Fire Captain
                        Volunteer Chief Officer


                        Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by oldestwiseowl
                          Somewhere very recently I saw something that said that Ferrara wasn't working out well in the few high pressure units they have in service at FDNY and that in addition to 30 new pumpers 2000 gpm 500gwt there will be 1 new one that is a 3-stage 2000 gpm high pressure unit for engine 8.
                          The HP Engines are POS. OOS frequently. I've heard we are getting more 2000gpm Engines...not sure why though.

                          FTM-PTB

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BoxAlarm187
                            I seem to recall reading in the latest FAJ that the new order for FDNY from Seagrave are actually split-tilts.
                            I would be suprised as the last I knew we only order fixed cabs. Unless the appratus guys did a complete 180 I can't imagine why they would do that. But FAJ is rarely wrong, we'll just have to wait and see.

                            FTM-PTB

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Fred, I agree, FAJ's info is usually dead-on, espically about your department.

                              As stated above, the new order of engines are supposed to be 30 split-tilts with 2000 GPM dual-stage pumps according to the magazine.
                              Career Fire Captain
                              Volunteer Chief Officer


                              Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X