No announcement yet.

Pierce's New Velocity And Impel Chasis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think if you paint the new chassis' brown, they could deliver packages pretty well.

Comment

ridiculous diatribes?

Originally posted by Chauffer6
      Yes, you got me! I've been a member here since December 2000 just WAITING and HOPING you would join so I could "follow (you) around"!

Please stop derailing threads with your ridiculous diatribes. You already said you weren't a firefighter, correct? Just some kind of uberbuff? All in all, that would be just fine, but you act like such a chool that it really makes me (and others) wonder just what you hope to accomplish being here.
      Since when do you decide who may or may not post here?
      Who authorized you to determine what constitutes a diatribe versus a meritorious contribution?

You are a guest here not an owner.

So, instead of acting like the boss try acting like you have a few manners

Your disposition is entirely visicious

Till you change that you will be subject to the displeasure of others who have equal privilege

Comment

Originally posted by PierceGuru
        leaves no doubt who the innovator of the fire truck industry is !!!
        didn't see where they had quad steer on this new model....

It looks like they took a raised roof HME P2 cab, and added some funny windows

the black truck with silver "flames" is a face only a wacker could love!

although I do aplaud the fact that they are into crew safety

Comment

Baaaaaa

[QUOTE=oldestwiseowl]
          Originally posted by Chauffer6
          I have a sneaking suspicion that sven (nor anyone else here) really doesn't care if you believe him or not. [/QUOE]

sven and others dont need YOU to act as spokesman for them

if they dont care about another forum members reasonable position then THEY can voice their own opinions

Your presumptuousness is born of the hatred and malicious disposition that eats at you from top to bottom

you have taken erroneous positions on here only to be made to appear as a fool like the hoax about eone and all spartan chassis

now i say i am taking a conservative approach on the pierce issue
          anything wrong with that?
          yes
          its wrong to u because its me who is saying it
          u dont stomach anything i say
          u r determined to detract from everything i say
          u r a viscious example of humanity
          no amount of positives will offset ur serious flaws
          any open-minded person can see that u r here to follow me around on every thread to downgrade me to prop up ur sad sagging ego

awesome..... I love it....more more more more

Comment

in person

The pictures don't do much for me. I think the mirrors and paint scheme don't do justice to the rig but I would reserve judgement until I had actually seen the two units in person.

Comment

The Impel elevates Pierce from the Quantum, their long-standing entry in the "just plain ugly" category, to the panultimate plane of ugliness, occupied by the likes of the Spartan Evolution (why??) and anything ever made by Sutphen (at least they're consistent in their unspeakable ugliness).

On the bright side, some of the features on the Velocity, such as the easy access points for routine maintenance, are appealing. The marginally bad news is that I'd never actually voluntarily sign a contract for one...give me the simple, "utilitarian" Arrow XT any day. Less bells and less whistles = less days out of service in the shop. It's really that simple.

Comment

I agree that I would like to look over both models in person. The black paint job in such a dark setting for the 'movie' probably didn't quite show everything very well.

Comment

You guys are kidding, right? Please tell me there aren't really that many of us (firefighters) willing to pass judgement on a rig because of the way it looks. I also happen to think that the current Lance, Dash and Enforcer are much better looking, but we shouldn't be shopping for looks. Functionality and reliability are what we should be concerned with. I hear people constantly talk about how Pierce's chassis are too cramped, so they do something about it with the Quantum and all you can say is it's ugly. It seems fairly obvious the nose on the velocity sticks out to allow the new larger engines to fit without lessening crew space. I don't like the way it looks either, but no matter who makes a chassis I'm not willing to pass judgement based on looks.

Comment

They are different thats for sure, but I can't pass judgement based on looks alone. After they are out in the field for awhile thats a diffrent story, but for now its wait and see.

Comment

my apologies

Sorry, I wasn't just thinking about the looks but i am interested in the unit as a whole item. I just meant that I would reserve any judgment on the unit as a total package until I had the opportunity to actually see it in person. Does oldestwiseowl have all of you people up in arms or something?

Comment

goodbye Lance

A reasonably well-informed Pierce employee has stated today that there are 2 models on the chopping block. He recalled only one-the Lance- a model he and I had discussed before the FDIC as slated for discontinuation . Unfortunately since he is not a sales rep he could not readily recall the other model. If there are yet others that are to be eliminated he was not aware of these.
                        Last edited by oldestwiseowl; 09-15-2006, 05:48 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

We had already decided that our next rig would be on an XT, due to the basic "hard-wired" electronics package and the heavy-duty HVAC. But I do like some of the new items on the 2 new rigs like the seats and the door handles. I wonder if some/all we be offered at some point on the XT.

I for one dont think they look all that bad, save the mirrors.
                          Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
                          RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
                          Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Originally posted by oldestwiseowl
                            A reasonably well-informed Pierce employee has stated today that there are 2 models on the chopping block. He recalled only one-the Lance- a model he and I had discussed before the FDIC as slated for discontinuation . Unfortunately since he is not a sales rep he could not readily recall the other model. If there are yet others that are to be eliminated he was not aware of these.
                            If I had to guess, it would be the Saber. They already have a low-end offering in the Contender. That and the fact the Saber was before the Enforcer or Contender, and with thoese two theres really no market for the Saber now.

I certainoy understand dumping the Lance. That split-cab set up never made any sense to me. And Ive heard from several mechanics that its a pain in the a** to work on.
                            Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
                            RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
                            Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1983
                              If I had to guess, it would be the Saber. They already have a low-end offering in the Contender. That and the fact the Saber was before the Enforcer or Contender, and with thoese two theres really no market for the Saber now.

I certainoy understand dumping the Lance. That split-cab set up never made any sense to me. And Ive heard from several mechanics that its a pain in the a** to work on.
                              We were very interested in the Contender for the truck that we now have on order. (But not a Pierce... different story) The sale rep told us that the Contender Custom was a Saber with one or two less windows and that it was build in Appleton on the Saber Chassis line, then brought to Florida for the body. If that is true, which I have no reason to not believe it is true, then I would think that the Saber is safe or both the Saber and Contender are getting replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefSquirrel
                                I think if you paint the new chassis' brown, they could deliver packages pretty well.
                                Ha ha! Got a good chuckle out of that one!

Definitely looks like a Dash with ALF doors, new Quantum headlights, and a step van nose.

There are definitely some valid ideas, but there is also a lot of (typical) Pierce hype. But good for them - if they sell more fire engines that way (and clearly they do), they've captured something that the rest of the manufacturers haven't.

Front airbags: Important innovation. I'm sure that they will be industry standard within a matter of years, as did the side curtain bags.

SCBA brackets: Definitely a neat idea - IF they work. If they're not reliable, they will definitely be a problem. (random thought...if you could override them and permanently lock the bottle in place, this could be a good tool for probie jokes. Imagine the possibilities.... )

More comfortable seats: Nice? Maybe. Necessary? Absolutely not! We're here to fight fires, people! If I wanted comfort, I'd go back to my Lazy Boy!
                                "A firefighter who is less stressed is going to be safer and more effective." Hehehe. I could make a lot of "if that's the case, then why don't we have..." jokes, but this might not be the place. Really though...do we need to start falling asleep on the way to structure fires so that we are fresh and ready to go when we arrive? I don't think a more comfortable seat is going to change the stress level while responding to emergencies.

Dropped floor: I just see this creating more problems than it solves.

Wider doors: I don't know about anybody else, but I've never thought "gee, I wish these doors were wider" when I'm exiting a standard late-model custom cab in full gear. The only things I see wider doors changing is making the door heavier and harder to open/close, and protruding more into traffic.

"Storage and Clutter Management": Ha. Add some new ABS cupholders and you're the innovator of the fire apparatus industry. Radio holders - what if you want to keep them in chargers? And how are they secured? MDT mounting has been a standard option in a lot of cabs for years now.
                                "The console even features a flat work surface that serves as a desk area at the officer’s position." Oooooooo. Ahhhhhh. EVEN A FLAT WORK SURFACE, EVERYBODY! THIS IS AWESOME! Oh, wait, what is the top of the doghouse on every other cab right now? A flat work surface? Let's make a big deal about it and call it an innovation! Hey, guys, did you hear that Spartan is now offering a flat work surface?!? E-One came out with one, too! I think HME, KME, ALF, Sutphen, and Ferarra are now offering the option as well!!!!

And the wrap-around console? All that does is focuses the controls around the driver even more. If you have a multi-plexed chassis already, I would much rather have dual screens for the driver and officer so that both of them can control all the critical functions. On a non-multiplexed chassis, at least put the controls in reach of the officer.

"Integrated compartments" to eliminate the need for "makeshift solutions"? Sounds like another area that means you can't customize the chassis for your needs.

Single piece windshield: "no center post to obstruct the driver’s vision" Funny, I've never had a problem with the center post "obstructing my vision". Side posts, maybe, but never the tiny center post. I guess maybe we should switch to all commercial chassis so that we don't have that "obstructive" center post.

Easier Maintenance features: A few good ones here, but I don't see many ground-breaking "innovations".

And for whatever aesthetics are worth: The Quantum could grow on you...but the Velocity and Impel are U-G-L-Y!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X