PODS Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PODS Units

I am looking for any information on these units--ie manufactueres, users, user feedback, the works. It seems like this is a great idea, having a chassis that can be modified to do just abou anything. I'm also wondering about largest size possible, because I think that the USAR TFs wouldd greatly benefit from them if they big spartman tractors towing 45' pods. It could be a mobile fire and rescue station. Perphaps a it of a fantasy but I think it would be cool

http://www.pods.com/

They should have some info!

Comment

CHECK OUT FDNY's POD SYSTEM

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/images/spe.../FDNYCOLL5.jpg

Comment

Take a look at www.excellance.com. They have built a few of these. They are listed under the specialty vehicles.

Comment

I know that European departments have been using PODS for a variety of purposes for a number of years. I remember reading about water tanker PODS, technical rescue gear PODS, Haz-Mat PODS and command post PODS. The idea certainly makes sense to me ..imagine having 5 or 6 PODS sitting in back of your station and only needing 1 or 2 truck chassis. To me the idea makes perfect sense and seems like a way to keep apparatus costs down if you want to provide a variety of services.
          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

I think that pods are a great idea. Think of the pod caches you could have around the country. They could be designed to be mobilzed by commercial, municipal (FD's) or even military vehicles. Driver training wouldn't be as specialized as tractor trailers. Ship the pods minus truck and chassis and save on wieght. More supplies shipped???? Could even make it a modular system.

Comment

looks like a roll off truck to me

Comment

Fairfax County, VA and Montgomery County, MD both run POD units also. As the previous poster said, they're very much like a roll-off unit.
                Career Fire Captain
                Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

the collapse in brooklyn...

...has resulted in e91 deploying the fdny collapse pod from randalls island. what an awful tradgedy.

Comment

Does anyone have any more information about FDNY's Collapse Pods? FDNY runs 3 Mack MR collapse rescues plus the Super Vac trailer unit, so I wonder whether the POD units carry anything special or just large amounts of cribbing, shovels, and other ho-hum materials.

Also, I would appreciate pictures/descriptions of any POD units from anywhere, if anyone has them. Thanks.

Comment

The US Army has been using for more than 20years. Google on Army PLS.
                      Great stuff. The Oshkosh PLS truck and a set of large racks/tanks would make a great tanker setup.

"PODS" is just a marketing name dreamed up in the last few years to sell a moving company concept.

Comment

Originally posted by skipatrol8
                        ...has resulted in e91 deploying the fdny collapse pod from randalls island. what an awful tradgedy.

Bronx.......
                        Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Originally posted by neiowa

"PODS" is just a marketing name dreamed up in the last few years to sell a moving company concept.
                          We were using the term Pod for these things Pre-Desert Storm, during the 80's. It is not a new term, it is just a more known term in the civilian world.
                          Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                          -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                          LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

Originally posted by neiowa
                            I think there may be some confusion between "PODS" as in Portable On Demand Storage, the moving company, and "Pods" in general, such as those built for emergency services by Spear Trucks, Excellance, and others.

www.speartrucks.com is a great website for these, if you haven't checked it out already.

Comment

Kimberton Fire Company houses 2 units. One they use to leave at the scene and one is the county containment unit.

http://www.kimbertonfire.org/apparatus.htm
                              Steve Dragon
                              FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
                              Volunteers are never "off duty".
                              http://www.bufd7.org

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...