No announcement yet.

E-One problems: Copied from Firefighters Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To put this shortly... they don't always close properly. We find that we have to crack open the window, and close the door with just the right touch... otherwise it will be like your car door when you don't close it all the way. Basically, you can rattle the door back and forth, I never had one fly open... but they sure feel like they could with enough force. We also had problems with the inside latch not always working (that was mainly the 2000 ). But on all the E-Ones, 2000-2005 the door acted exactly the same! Not sure how else to describe it... it seems to do with the seal in the cab, because when we crack the windows before we close the doors the tend to close just fine. Who knows... they came out and adjusted the latches, didn't help. The mechanic could close them fine for the first two times, but after that.. same old, same old.

Thankfully now, I no longer ride in E-Ones.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

We don't run E-One's, but we are in the process of fleet replacement. In our search we have looked at many apparatus from various manufacturers (Pierce, E-One, KME, Sutphen, ALF, etc). One thing about E-One that stood out among the rest was how cheaply built the doors were made.

As mentioned above, none of the doors seemed to close well (cab or compartment). We found this to be true for all the apparatus they brought to our department to demonstrate and those that were displayed at our local trade show earlier in the year.

None of the other manufacturers seemed to have this problem.

I don't know if this is a recent change in their building style or not.
      What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

Apparatus Operator
      Salem Fire Department
      IAFF Local 314

Comment

"Next
        Electrical issues could be anything
        But I would look at grounds this seems to be the cause of many issues especialy in emergency vehicles and the extreme use"

My experience is in aircraft, but with all the electrical squawks, I would look for sources of water intrusion, not just the obvious (windshield seals, antennas etc, light bar mounts) but I think I might also try to see if water might be coming in through the grill, or engine compartment area and getting behind the panel.
        You may find several of the problems you mention have the same culprit.

Comment

Keep one thing in mind when looking at different manufactures. There are very few who are certified by engine, pump and suspension manufacturers to do installations. You can request copies of these certifications from your local dealers. Here is a perfect example.
          Not all manufacturers are certified for engine installation. Not having this they are forced to have de-rated horse power motors. If the cooling system that they put in does not meet certain cooling aspects while driving or pumping the motors are forced to “power down” to prevent overheating. My point is look carefully into the company you plan on working with before you make a 20 year mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Chauffer6
            Are you implying that it's excusable for a stock truck to be a POS because it cost less?
            Personally I find that stock trucks are better than tricked out highly customized rigs. The big manufacturers each offer a "Ford F-150" type rig, which they build multiple copies of all year long. The bugs have been worked out of these early in their production. When you start spec'ing very customized trucks with specialized components which the manufacturer does not work with all the time you start seeing more issues. I've got two 2001's sitting in my station, one is a 100% stock tower unit, the other a pimped out rescue pumper with CAFS, both from the same manufacturer, delievered about 4 months apart. The tower has been great, a few minor problems. The pumper, not so much. We've had issues since day one and some still persist. Next truck we buy, I'm gonna push for a stock custom cab with a small CAFS system added to it.
            Last edited by Fire304; 11-17-2006, 05:24 PM.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Comment

Originally posted by Fire304
              Personally I find that stock trucks are better than tricked out highly customized rigs. The big manufacturers each offer a "Ford F-150" type rig, which they build multiple copies of all year long. The bugs have been worked out of these early in their production. When you start spec'ing very customized trucks with specialized components which the manufacturer does not work with all the time you start seeing more issues. I've got two 2001's sitting in my station, one is a 100% stock tower unit, the other a pimped out rescue pumper with CAFS, both from the same manufacturer, delievered about 4 months apart. The tower has been great, a few minor problems. The pumper, not so much. We've had issues since day one and some still persist. Next truck we buy, I'm gonna push for a stock custom cab with a small CAFS system added to it.
              Good post, I would tend to agree with you. Sure, there are some program trucks that are junk, but you get what you pay for, as with anything. There are also many custom rigs that are very reliable.

On a purely personal note, I've read many times where people have faulted certain custom manufacturers for not being custom enough for their taste. Or at least, that's their opinion/perception, they may or may not have any actual experience with said manufacturers or may have a lousy, lazy dealer. In any case, I'd actually rather have a manufacturer tell me "We're really not sure we want to do this or that because we haven't had time to properly engineer it or test it" over them saying "Yeah, sure, whatever you want. Just sign the check!" Anyone can take your money and build anything you can conceive, but I believe only a responsible and honest manufacturer is going to let you cause more harm than good to yourself. Of course, some would argue that it's not their place to protect you from yourself, just like they'd argue the same about NFPA, but I couldn't disagree more. There are literally lives on the line with these trucks, both our own and the public at large, so someone has to step in and stop certain madness from time to time.

Comment

transmissions -

I don't think it's e-one specific - I have seen 75' quints from various manufacturers having a "base" spec of 350-400 hp and the "small" 3060 allison or its newer equivalent. If would be running this combination fully loaded in a hilly area, a marginal transmission fails.

Comment

no problems with e-one

have had e-ones in our station since 1991 and have had no problems with them have 3 pumpers and 1 95' ladder truck all still look in new shape take a look at our web site and see for yourself www.bloomsburgfd.org

Comment

I drive a '00 E-One Cyclone II pumper with about 99,000 miles on it and it makes about 4,500 runs a year. Standard pumper with 1500GPM single stage pump, 500 gallon tank, couple of crosslays, etc. Nothing special in the spec. We bought about 64 of them I believe.

I can honestly say from personal experience that 3 things at E-One are sub standard and need serious attention:

Fit and finish issues
                    Quality control at the factory
                    Electrical systems

That being said, our pumper has held up VERY well given the daily abuse it takes. It gets rode hard and put up wet everyday and it holds up. To this day it runs strong and pumps strong.

The station partner to this rig until about 7 months ago was a '00 E-One Hurricane 100' truck. This rig makes a boat load of runs as well and with the exception of 1 interior light switch which resulted in a pretty good fire in the cab (Actually a mobile flashover chamber we called it) the rig was flawless. Perfect aerial and outrigger design with simple and quick controls. It was replaced by a '06 Ferrara/Smeal 107' truck that is another story altogether different and went to reserve status. To this day this rig is in daily use by companies all over the city and still has a reputation for working everytime.

Bottom line every maker has problems, E-One is no exception. But when it is all said and done, E-One aerials can NOT be beat.
                    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by STATION2 View Post
                      The station partner to this rig until about 7 months ago was a '00 E-One Hurricane 100' truck. It was replaced by a '06 Ferrara/Smeal 107' truck that is another story altogether.
                      What can you tell us about the Ferrara?
                      I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Comment

Also, do you know why your department made the switch?
                        Last edited by firepiper1; 01-13-2007, 11:12 PM.
                        I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Comment

Well, if it is ok, I would like to take the last part first and the first part last. LOL.

As for why we switched, that is somewhat complicated. Suffice it to say the local E-One dealer at the time was sub-standard to say the least. A HUGE back log of warranty repairs to be made and no mechanism established to do it for a fleet of 64 pumpers, 20 aerials, 3 towers, 1 foam pumper, 1 rehab unit, etc. The general concensus was to switch to a manufacturer that would fix what was broken when it needed to be fixed. No big deal in the pumper area as anyone can build a good pumper that will do the job if they are held to the specs and fix them when they break. However, in the aerial area I personally believe we walked away from the best aerial and outrigger combination on the market then and today. Had we had a dealer that was handling business, I think we would still be getting E-One rigs. But what do I know. LOL.

As for how is the current Ferrara/Smeal 107' rig, it does the job. To be fair to it let me go over the nice features:

Great compartmentation with more than adequate storage space for everything it needs to carry (Our Truck Co. is an extrication Truck Co. and has all the associated tools).

Nice engine forward design with ample cab room and a good layout.

Very good turning radius for a rig of its size.

Extruded aluminum body.

A/C system is probably the best of any rig I have personaly experienced.

Only had to change out of it once since we had it.

Reliable and functional.

Now for the less than great features or attributes:

Steel aerial which is narrower and has a lower handrail height.

Outrigger spread of 18' versus 13' and some change we were accustomed to.

Outriggers use pins where we are accustomed to none.

Not sole source (Ferrara and Smeal).

While the compartmentation is more than adequate, you have to be 7' tall to access some of it.

Has drift in the rear end that causes you to feel like your floating down the road (And I don't mean that in a good way).

Some of the door construction looks a little on the weak side.

Did I mention an 18' jack spread that requires pins?

Other than that, it has been a good truck. One thing I can say with no reservation is that the Ferrara service has been the BEST of any in our area. I mean hands down and without exception if it is broken they fix it and most of the time that is in the station within hours of it being reported. And not just big things, but the myriad of little things to that need repairs when a rig is new.

Just some thoughts.
                          Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Comment

Station 2
                            drift?

does it seem to sway from side to side?

Comment

Yes, drift in the rear end. Feels like it is going from side to side. Not in the front end, just the back.
                              Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Comment

Station 2

A couple of questions. We have an all Smeal ladder truck on order.
                                Can you set the jacks and be fully functional at 16'? We were told that the truck was designed and rated with a 16' jack spread. Smeal said the truck had room for the extra 2' so they decided to leave it in in case you have the space.

Does the truck have the air ride suspension or leaf springs? We stayed away from the air supsension because we heard similar complaints about drifting.

Do those trucks have multiplexing?

Thanks

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...