No announcement yet.

Hose Bed/Tank configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are currently in the process (should have been in the assembly plant by now, long story) of specing out a similar truck...1500, 2000 gal of water...Even with the 1500 we were urged to go with a tandem axle due to the fact that it will be a "heavy" single axle, thus running into problems of not being able to load all the equipment we have to put on it, road conditions, etc. The hosebed will be high any way you look at it, a tandem will be a bit lower. We have gotten used to the fact, since most of our trucks either 1) carry more than 1000 gals, or 2) they are 4wd
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Comment

While it's probably possible if you made enough adjustments to wheelbase, compartments, etc, I think you'll find that trying to get a low hosebed with a tank this size is not reasonable.

Your best bet would be to put all your preconnects accessible from ground level (whether you use front bumper, speedlays, rear trough or hose box - or any combination), leaving your supply line and working hose in the hose bed. Then make the hosebed as safe as possible - install a pool-style ladder (maybe Zico), put some kind of sides on the bed (i.e. diamondplate hosebed cover with hold-open devices) to protect your firefighters while re-packing hose, and mount the couplings at the ends of the loads at tailboard level, so that they can be removed without climbing.

This way, the only time you need to climb in the bed is to re-pack supply line & working hose after the incident, and you've made it easily accessible and protective.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X