adding a folding tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding a folding tank

We are looking at adding a folding tank to our engine. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

My department has a folding tank rack above the hose bed, the only problem is it takes a few people to get it down. Zico makes bracketts to hold folding tanks they have a few different options.

Comment

Originally posted by sklump
      We are looking at adding a folding tank to our engine. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?
      Without putting major money into a redesign of the truck, you are pretty limited. Any solution would probably have something to do with the hose bed. Either putting a compartment at the bottom of the hosebed and loading hose on top of the added compartment. Or if you have hard hosebed covers putting it on top with some sort of mounting.

More details on what the truck is, what type/size tank you are adding may help you get more ideas from people.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefDog
        Without putting major money into a redesign of the truck, you are pretty limited. Any solution would probably have something to do with the hose bed. Either putting a compartment at the bottom of the hosebed and loading hose on top of the added compartment. Or if you have hard hosebed covers putting it on top with some sort of mounting.
        This is something we looked at doing on our pumper/tanker we ordered not long ago. It was going to have a bin with a one side rising to the same level as the dividers so we could use it to load a preconnect or something on. It was also going to have a roller on the bottom to help ease pulling the tank. Not as ergonomical as a side mounted, flip down carrier, but it's something that doesn't require a lot of fabricating or moving of ladders or beefing up the top of the compartments, etc.

Comment

the body is a standard with high side on the left and ladder on the right.

Comment

I'd have to agree with the others, without changing the ladder lift to handle the additional weight, plus having to find a place to put the ladders, the hose bed is the lone option. Catch22's idea is pretty good, and minimal work to make it happen, depending on the depth of the hose bed area and bed cover type. The first thought I had was to build something under the supply line lay and have it laying flat on rollers so it's lower and easier to grab from both sides. It would take up supply line space, but if you're in tanker shuttle ops you're not making long lays anyway. The space for supply line is usually more than wide enough and long enough to handle the tank.
            Brian P. Vickers
            www.vickersconsultingservices.com
            Emergency Services Consulting
            Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
            Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Ever think of using a self supporting dump tank, these do not have a frame and can be folded up and stored in a compartment. I have also seen a folda tank that uses an aluminum break apart frame that also stores in a bag. I have not used either of them maybe some one else out there has some insight. These seem a good idea since you would probably not have to modify your apparatus.

Comment

Look at a Snap-tank. They fold up into a bag and can be carried in a dunnage area.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X