X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MG3610
    MembersZone Subscriber
    • Dec 2002

Compartments in sides of cab

I am interested to see photos of rigs with compartments on the sides of the cabs behind the drivers and officers seats where the window usually is (Seagrave is common for these as well a E-one and some Spratans I've seen have them). Most of the specs ive seen dont show the dimensions or the interior views of these types of compartments. If you have them, what do you use them for? We are considering drivers turnout gear in one and EMS equip in the other.

Do you prefer the roll up door or hinged door on these types of cabinets?

How do you lay out the cab interior (seating and interior tool storage) if you have these compartments?
  • skipatrol8
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2006

cabinents

credit to firenews.org http://www.nefirenews.org/mass/NatickL1newDB.jpg.

I dont think you want one on each side, otherwise your cab will be tiny. I'd put an ems cabinent on the officers side. roll ups would be better, just a preference.

Comment

• BC79er
      FH Mag/.com Contributor
      • Feb 2002

You'd be better off putting an EMS cabinet in between the forward facing seats in the cab, easier access and they can also be larger.
      Brian P. Vickers
      www.vickersconsultingservices.com
      Emergency Services Consulting
      Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
      Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

• toddmcbr
        MembersZone Subscriber
        • Jan 2001

Spartan's EMS compartments in the side are 17"W x 43"H x 23"D. I believe you can get them with both interior and exterior access.

The major disadvantage is that they do take up a seating position. However, that may not matter to you depending on how many firefighters you run on your engines. If you do run more than 4 you are probably better off streching your cab and putting two outboard forward facing seats with an EMS compartment in the center as others have suggested. You would need to put a roll up door or cargo netting on it so you can secure its contents per NFPA.

You would then free up the space of the EMS compartments that are shown in the picture allowing you to fill that space with rear facing seats.
        Attached Files

Comment

• MG3610
          MembersZone Subscriber
          • Dec 2002

We are most likely looking at no more than 6 seating positions. We want street level access to the EMS Equipment, rather than having it in the cab.

Thanks for the info so far.

Comment

• fireman4949
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by MG3610
            I am interested to see photos of rigs with compartments on the sides of the cabs behind the drivers and officers seats where the window usually is (Seagrave is common for these as well a E-one and some Spratans I've seen have them). Most of the specs ive seen dont show the dimensions or the interior views of these types of compartments. If you have them, what do you use them for? We are considering drivers turnout gear in one and EMS equip in the other.

Do you prefer the roll up door or hinged door on these types of cabinets?

How do you lay out the cab interior (seating and interior tool storage) if you have these compartments?
            I'll bring my camera next shift and get you some pics of our units.

Kevin
            Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
            IAFF Local 2339
            K of C 4th Degree
            "LEATHER FOREVER"
            Member I.A.C.O.J.
            http://www.tfdfire.com/
            "Fir na tine"

Comment

• MG3610
              MembersZone Subscriber
              • Dec 2002

Thanks, thats a huge help!

If you can get some perspectives of the interior cab layout with the compartments it would be most helpful.

Comment

• fireman4949
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by MG3610
                Thanks, thats a huge help!

If you can get some perspectives of the interior cab layout with the compartments it would be most helpful.
                Will do!

Kevin
                Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
                IAFF Local 2339
                K of C 4th Degree
                "LEATHER FOREVER"
                Member I.A.C.O.J.
                http://www.tfdfire.com/
                "Fir na tine"

Comment

• dday05
                  MembersZone Subscriber
                  • Aug 2005

We thought about doing what you want on our truck and were told if we did a compt on the outside we would have to give up the air ride cab optionso we opted not to do it. Anyway we put a nice size ems cab in the back, infront of the seat behind the driver. And a place for a refridgerator behind the officer seat and 3 seats along the backof the cab by the ems cabinet.We run ems and have a squad so we pretty much have the ems compt for our people incase something happens, and placing the cabinet where we did was incase we had a situation in the day time and we needed our rehab unit but it did'nt respond the person could work out of the seat behind the driver and work out of the cabinet and rehab people that are sitting on the back row of seats. Thats what made most sense to us so we did it that way.Our truck seats 6 people and I would put a pic of the inside of the cab but I'm not very good with computers,I just know how to push the buttons.BE SAFE

Comment

• VanIsleEVT
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2005

We have two Engines in production right now on Spartan chassis with that option. The purpose is for driver and officer turn-out gear, etc. We went with the box pan door because you can mount items on the door like flashlights in chargers and such.The dimensions mentioned earlier are correct. We run two to three crew in the back. One facing rearward and the other two facing forward.

Here's some pics of ours.

Comment

• MG3610
                      MembersZone Subscriber
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by VanIsleEVT
                      We have two Engines in production right now on Spartan chassis with that option. The purpose is for driver and officer turn-out gear, etc. We went with the box pan door because you can mount items on the door like flashlights in chargers and such.The dimensions mentioned earlier are correct. We run two to three crew in the back. One facing rearward and the other two facing forward.

Thats exactly what I was looking for....can you email the full size pictures to me at [email protected] I would appreciate it

Comment

• buckdog
                        Forum Member
                        • Aug 2004

I have many variations of this. We run a extended cab with 15" raised roof unit with rear facing seats (2). In the middle is a full height cabinet with roll up door for all the books, hazmat stuff and paper reference material...with electric in it also!!! But on the bottom portion the officer side is open to the side (curb side) where we keep EMS equipment..so all you have to do is reach in and pull it out..no door / netting since it opens to the curb side. Works for us.

I have also seen forward facing seat with storage of ropes / rigging under the bench. Great idea for storing this type of seldom used equipment. If you can dream it they will build it.

Comment

• canuck1
                          Forum Member
                          • Nov 2005

I wonder - what about ECER29

Originally posted by VanIsleEVT

WOW...that's a tight fit for the rear facing guy. And it sure takes away from communications between the front and the back, not to mention visibility.

Here's a question. What does that do to the Crash Test worthiness of the cab? Did Spartan have the cab RE-Tested after cutting out a large portion of the sidewalls of the cab? I doubt it - but I don't know.....Curious.

On that same train of thought, has the centre mounted rear facing seat been seat belt pull tested? I wonder how safe that seat is mounted on top of the doghouse?

Just thoughts.

Comment

• Resq14
                            dazed and confused
                            • Dec 2000

I prefer the extended cab with the compartments behind the cab... transverse storage is also an option here.

example:
                            Start your new business venture with a great domain name. A trusted source for domains since 2005.

Yes, it can affect wheelbase and overall length unless compensated for in some other way.
                            God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
                            Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
                            Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

• canuck1
                              Forum Member
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Resq14
                              I prefer the extended cab with the compartments behind the cab... transverse storage is also an option here.

example:
                              Start your new business venture with a great domain name. A trusted source for domains since 2005.

Yes, it can affect wheelbase and overall length unless compensated for in some other way.

That looks like a pretty well thought out truck....holy power tools.... That's the first time I've seen a tall compartment like that behind the rear crew door as well...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...