Multi-colored lights on cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187
    We've been using the Whelen 500-series LED's on our rigs at work for several years now, and they seem to work well. We recently took delivery of a tanker that has the Whelen PSTANK "strip" light - to me, it doesn't appear to have a lot of off axis power. That is, you need to be in-line with the front of the light to get a "true" idea of what it's reading.
    Thanks - this is more along the lines of what I recall hearing...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Originally posted by bgcjmc
      Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it is up to the pump operator to monitor the water level, not a nozzle team or the I.C.. The good point about calling the pump operator on the radio and inquiring about the water level is that everyone on the fireground hears it, including the I.C. and any other companies operating. And if the pump operator is making connections, then why not put a slave tank level gauge on each pump panel and at the rear?? This way, all s/he has to do is look up and it's right in front of them, not on the side of the cab.
      On wildland fires the pump operator is generally not anywhere near the panel; the engine can pump just fine by itself without anyone babysitting it. Also on structure fires at least around here where everyone is shorthanded everybody has about 3 jobs. That being said we do not have any but they would be nice it's true. But they are a ways down my to-do list.

Birken

Comment

I'm not a dinasour, but I'm very nuts and bolts. To me it's just another gadget. The pump operator better be real close to the pump at a structure fire and he should have a good sense of how much time his tank will last, as well as the IC should. With some of this high flow hose and newer nozzles we are getting 250 gpm on 200' of 1 3/4" at 150 lbs EP. Thats not very long, you better have a supply line quick...if not those lights are going to look like a Xmas tree at a drag race if you don't.

Comment

has anyone used this confiuaration in lieu of an auxillary light bar (facing another direction besides fore or aft?)

Comment

The Reva VFD in Culpeper County, VA has done something similar. They've got three Whelen 500-series red LED's mounted horizontally between the driver's and jumpseat doors, and they're wired into the warning lights. Kind of the same effect as having a mini-bar above the jumpseat doors.
            Career Fire Captain
            Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

We have a Whelen LED strip on our tanker if anything it is to bright on the road you can see it from at least a mile away

Comment

I wasn't too sure about the lights at first, but they have grown on me. We have them on our 2005 ALF eagle 148 flat roof cab, when we did the inspection trip to SC about 50% of the cabs we saw had them installed, ours are LED's activated when the pump is put in gear. The chrome around them is actually a tail light assembly, 4 lights green, blue, yellow, red.

Larry

Comment

We are putting them on Crash Trucks now so the ic can see avalible water at a glance. Great idea. gives the IC and pump opperator another great tool.

Comment

All of our apparatus, since the mid 90's, have had the 4-light combo behind the passenger door. We will begin placing the lights on the rear of the apparatus to allow next-due units the ability to see the remaining water in the tank of the first arriving apparatus. Our SOPs dictate the initial arriving engine, barring any unforseen problems, will execute a quick attack with tank water. Second due engine supplies the first with water, so its always nice to know how fast you need to move.

Comment

Darley built a few trucks that had four small colored rotating lights stacked on a light tower mast for the tank level! Rattlesnake FPD in Colorado. Check out the link:

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/7873/
                      R.A. Ricciuti
                      Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

Comment

We use the Whelen light on our LaFrance

The light is just above the intake. We have one on each side.
                        Forrest Gregg
                        Chief
                        Holtville/Slapout
                        Fire & Rescue Inc.
                        District 10 Director
                        AAVFD
                        IAFC
                        www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org

Comment

Great tool

We have the chrome bezel 4-module halogens on the cab extension of our 2001 pumper-tanker. Our new engine is coming with the PSTANK strips on all four sides - that way you don't need to worry where you are.

For some reason, the fire service likes to find a good idea, and then only applies it to two or three sides of the apparatus. You see apparatus with tank lights on the sides, the sides and front, the sides and rear, but never all four. You see apparatus that have brow lights and side floods, side and rear floods, but rarely all four sides (or else grossly unbalanced: like (3) 1,500 watt lights on each side, and a single 500 or 750 watt at the front or rear). Doesn't it get dark on all four sides of the apparatus!?

Little side rant...

Comment

Well the headlights usually do a pretty good job of lighting up the front....

Birken

Comment

Originally posted by BirkenVogt
                              ....If you are driving.

If headlights were scene lighting, you would see a set of headlights on all four sides of the apparatus. We wouldn't need generators, flood lights, poles, or anything more than a spare fixture from an F-150.

Comment

Originally posted by BirkenVogt

Birken
                                [hijack]

Our department mandates that headlights be shut off (but parking lights remain on) upon arrival at a night-time incident. The headlights from a parked fire apparatus shining into the eyes of the oncoming citizens (and fire apparatus alike) increase the chances of a firefighter being struck, which goes against our safety policies.

Our next round of apparatus will have the headlights wired into the parking brake in fact.

[/hijack]
                                Career Fire Captain
                                Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X